55 mile commute each way... Is Leaf even an option?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gmoney0205 said:
Hey everyone,

So my new commute will be about 55 miles each way, 110 roundtrip.

My work has charging stations and there is a nissan dealership nearby so it wont be an issue charging at work.

But am I crazy to test this leaf to such limits?

I also have an issue since i will be renting a house the first 6-12 months and I doubt they have the proper electrical hook ups in this how to allow me to charge quickly.

Anyone care to give me some input, talk me off this ledge ;)

Thanks
as long as you have a 100% reliable charging availability at your work location and your home you can do it, the capabilities of the car are not the issue, this is not a 99.8% thing being able to charge must be 100% certain because there is almost no way of completing a round trip of that distance without a charge up

apvbguy said:
Gmoney0205 said:
Hey everyone,

So my new commute will be about 55 miles each way, 110 roundtrip.

My work has charging stations and there is a nissan dealership nearby so it wont be an issue charging at work.

But am I crazy to test this leaf to such limits?

I also have an issue since i will be renting a house the first 6-12 months and I doubt they have the proper electrical hook ups in this how to allow me to charge quickly.

Anyone care to give me some input, talk me off this ledge ;)

Thanks
as long as you have a 100% reliable charging availability at your work location and your home you can do it, the capabilities of the car are not the issue, this is not a 99.8% thing being able to charge must be 100% certain because there is almost no way of completing a round trip of that distance without a charge up
+1. This is absolutely doable. My round trip commute ranges from 73-80 miles/day with no recharging available at work. Typically pull in with 18-20% remaining with running a/c & lights as needed. I was on a shorter 62 miles/day the first week on only the L1 factory cord. The key is driving with some common sense and having a "Plan B" for charging on your return commute path if something stupid happens.

Come on people!
The OP is talking about purchasing the car.
Just because you can do that range with a new LEAF or one that is only a year old in the Pacific Northwest is a very limited data point.
Will it work in year three, four, and five or later?
In general not too well :cry:

This commute would leave no margin for error. If you're time is worth anything to you, just buy a Prius and get in on EVs in the next generation.

cwerdna said:
pkulak said:
Oh come on now. Let's not pretend that a new Leaf can't even do 55 miles in California. My year old Leaf does 55 miles freeway on an 80% charge just fine.
People drive much slower in Portland than they do in the LA area. I've driven in Portland a bunch and lived in LA for years. In my recent visits to LA, it's not unusual to be doing 70+ mph in a middle lane (not the fast lanes) in a 55 mph zone and have cars zooming by you on both sides.

I don't particularly care that other people are speeding and feel absolutely no compunction to do so when my need for range requires more conservative driving. Some people manage to convince themselves that they will surely be murdered the moment their speed drops below the speed limit. I've lived in California for a while now. I think this fear is a product of fevered imaginations.

More to the point, yesterday I just completed a round-trip from the SF Bay Area, to the Fullerton, CA area, in my nearly 3-year-old LEAF. I drove at whatever speeds were needed to bridge the gaps between charging points, which are scarce outside of the metro areas. Sometimes I was at the speed limit, sometimes slightly below. Yesterday afternoon northbound, I had a massive headwind and so I stayed with 55mph in 65mph zones. I was not killed or even threatened with harm. The truck speed limit was 55. It is not an unthinkable speed. For a 55 mile trip this will take one hour. At 65mph, 55 miles takes 51 minutes. Not that big a difference.

Traffic will likely make more of an impact on your trip time than your choice of cruising speed. On my trip down, I hit L.A. in the afternoon. 'Nuff said. The LEAF loves traffic; I was getting 8 miles per kWh, even with the AC on.

My only concern for the OP (assuming they can divest themselves from the speeding ethos), would be the heat in Temecula leading to premature battery degradation. The new battery is not yet field-proven so that is a wildcard. Then again, they did say they were only counting on 2 years from the car in this application. Personally, I would take the chance as long as workplace charging is absolutely guaranteed.

The real question is - how committed are you to make this work ? If you are committed this could work.

BTW, if you are renting why are you still so far from work ? Family commitments ? Otherwise that is baffling.

Nubo said:
More to the point, yesterday I just completed a round-trip from the SF Bay Area, to the Fullerton, CA area, in my nearly 3-year-old LEAF.
Getting OT, but tell us more about your ~800 mi trip down and up the state!

evnow said:
BTW, if you are renting why are you still so far from work ? Family commitments ? Otherwise that is baffling.
I can't speak to the OP's situation, but in many parts of CA, rent is also incredibly high and people are forced to live further away.

Take a look at these rents: http://www.rent.com/california/mountain-view-apartments/2-748" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I just picked this out of the air since Google and Microsoft are there along w/lots of other tech companies there and nearby.

I found http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2014/02/13/the_median_rental_rate_of_1_and_2bedroom_apartments_by_neighborhood.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for SF which claims in Feb 2014:
San Francisco's overall median rental rate for a one-bedroom in the month of January was $2,813, and a two-bedroom was $3,925.
There are some folks at my work who live in SF but work in the South Bay. Work to SF is 50 miles, one way. Fortunately, my company has some free shuttles that go to/from SF, like many other companies. Not sure how many of them rent, but some of them WANT to live in SF (as nutty as it sounds to me, I wouldn't want to live there).

OP, you're a perfect candidate for a Rav4-EV with an unlimited mileage lease. It's really hardly any more than a top of the line LEAF, and the battery is literally twice as big, so you could go the whole round trip without charging if you need to. Get one while you still can!

Agreed, love the leaf and think you could do it but I'd lease a Rav4 if I were you in your situation.

It should be said that you should get a 2015 Leaf if you decide to do it since it has the more heat resistant battery.

Thanks everyone..

As to why we chose to live so far, as previous post stated, cost of living. We are renting to see if commute is doable, and then with plans to buy. I have 4 kids and I need a good safe place with excellent schools and affordable housing. I can get a 3000-3500 sq ft home for $450-550K...compare that with area closer to work, and it will cost 600-800K. Plus we are just an hr or less away from San Diego where my sister lives. But it isnt a guarantee we will love temecula and stay there, thus the rent option first.

Regarding the Rav4, do you know what they would lease for? Unlimited miles? is that an extra cost?

When do 2015 models come out, and will they have any incentives like the current? My biggest issue is I already am over my current leased vehicle miles and if I wait longer, it will cost me even more.

Ok so looks like for lease, best i can expect is around $500 per month for rav...almost double what leaf would be. Guess ill test drive the two and see what works out best.

Are there any DC fast charging options between home and work (or planned in the future)? If so, this could be the "safety net" you need to go with the LEAF. When everything works out, you charge on both ends so you are leaving work with 100% charge via L2, charging L1 at home while renting and leaving with at least enough to cover 55 miles (8/12 bars or so) and then back to 100% via work charge.

If something upsets that usual schedule / charging availability, if you know you can DC fast charge to 80% somewhere in between (even if it is a pay site), I think that tips the balance way in favor of the LEAF.

rogersleaf said:
This is absolutely doable. My round trip commute ranges from 73-80 miles/day with no recharging available at work. Typically pull in with 18-20% remaining with running a/c & lights as needed. I was on a shorter 62 miles/day the first week on only the L1 factory cord. The key is driving with some common sense and having a "Plan B" for charging on your return commute path if something stupid happens.

You will not be able to do this round trip without charging a work or on the way with an EOL (70%) battery.

To the original poster, you are near the limit to what can work long term. You may find yourself buying a battery to refresh range before EOL, which will raise your cost of commute, or stopping daily for a charge on one or both legs of your commute after the first couple of years. If you are ok with one or both of these, then consider it. Otherwise, find an alternative.

Yes i did see DC quick charge stations and a nissan dealership nearby. I will be at Kaiser Permanente Fontana travelling down and up the 15 or 215.

I figure after two years if I do a lease id just get a new car, if i purchase i would have to go to the $100 per month for battery replacement program?.

Thank you all for the help.

Gmoney0205 said:
Ok so looks like for lease, best i can expect is around $500 per month for rav...almost double what leaf would be. Guess ill test drive the two and see what works out best.
That price is for $0 down in the Rav, vs likely ~$2k down in the Leaf. Plus you'd likely want some add-ons from the Leaf base model (particularly the charge package) and of course the Leaf lease doesn't offer unlimited mileage.

I think u can do a zero drive off leaf lease on s or sv for around 230-250.. But a 50000 car with residual of 16 k for 3 yr lease.. Kinda tempting.. Gonna have to do more homeowork.

Its confirmed for sure 2015 leaf wont have extended batttery range option?

Gmoney0205 said:
... if i purchase i would have to go to the $100 per month for battery replacement program?
That was last year's trial balloon.
New program is selling replacement battery for $5,499. Nissan will offer financing options later in the year.
But not a battery lease. A purchase.
See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17168#p374490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Approaching 30 pages in one week.

Gmoney0205 said:
It's confirmed for sure 2015 leaf wont have extended battery range option?
Nothing is 100% certain. But very little chance.
Possible 2016 but more likely in 2017.
And I think it still may show up in Infiniti EV before you see it in the LEAF.

The current leaf deals for purchase is $3500 cash back from Nissan plus $7500 back from fed AND $2500 from California State? Plus 0% apr for 72 months?

I dont see the lease incentives anymore?? Does the $2500 state refund apply for leases as well?

Back