$325 ClipperCreekLCS-25

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ITestStuff said:
dalamchops said:
The Internet sure has a lot of assholes. Not sure why you are trying to look like the bad guy here.
Oh I'm definitely an asshole, but I'm not being one on this thread. I'm not doing anything in this discussion to look like the bad guy.

**make me** look like the bad guy... w/e.. i think i'll just enjoy the cheap evse

My charger showed up today. Ordered it Sunday after I saw Dalamchops post. 325 and next day delivery!!!

Are we still CERTAIN these are hot ? All this talk happened after I ordered it.

RocksterAR said:
My charger showed up today. Ordered it Sunday after I saw Dalamchops post. 325 and next day delivery!!!

They are being sold below wholesale cost with free international shipping. They are at least suspicious. I would think you could contact the manufacturer and see if the serial number belongs to someone who got ripped off.

nogajim said:
RocksterAR said:

They are being sold below wholesale cost with free international shipping. They are at least suspicious. I would think you could contact the manufacturer and see if the serial number belongs to someone who got ripped off.

what IS the cost??? THere was a group buy thread in the past that talked about a price point much below retail.

Leafboy said:
lion said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
I'm confused, Clipper Creek is out of business? Or one of their distributors? Must have been a large number of units purchased with the fraudulent CCs.

And yes, my understanding is merchants can be on the hook for fraudulent CC usage, presumably there are different deals with different issuers, insurance, etc.
I did find some references that it might be Metro Plug-in who had to shut down because of this theft, but haven't found any news articles yet. Hope they catch these guys.

This is correct.
It was a ring of CC thieves up and down the East coast, including Canada.

btw Metro Plugin sells LCS-25 that are branded as ClipperCreek, while the Ebay ones are from Sun Country Highway

LTLFTcomposite said:
Here's a thought, anyone who does buy one of these units could contact ClipperCreek, and if it is determined to be one of the stolen units, they could return the unit to CC and they would be protected by the fraud protection on their personal credit card. CC and their distributor would be made whole, the purchaser would as well except for having gone through some nuisance, and the CC issuer would eat the loss.

I was thinking of purchasing it just to take it out of circulation and then do just what you described, but Paypal has their own set of rules regarding returns, and they can't be used in conjunction with your credit card company. If you circumvent Paypal and go direct to your cc, Paypal will step out of the situation, and your fight will be between Paypal and your cc, setting up a catch-22. It doesn't matter if your goods are stolen, or even if you didn't receive them. I almost got left holding the bag on a $1000 item that I didn't receive because of this policy.

Probably not a good idea to knowingly buy stolen merchandise with the idea of transferring the loss to a cc issuer, that's stealing too.

The real problem is as a society we are soft on crime, particularly fraud like this.

ebay has been contacted at length. Not very helpful though. RCMP have also been contacted and they are actively looking into it. Also police departments in all the cities that the shipments were made to have been contacted. Every legal intity has been contacted that may be helpful. The theft ring is so large that it is difficult to pinpoint anyone. Everything legally possible is being done to track down the criminals. It just doesn't save the distributor.

RocksterAR said:

Call Clipper Creek and see if you have a warranty!

Brand new in box. Went to Lowes....14-50.....3 wires.....Banda Bing ! No more taking the level 1 in and out of trunk.

Using my dryer outlet in garage.....30 amp circuit. Wish this unit drew 24 amps though. I can't complain but I usually do :).

RocksterAR said:
Brand new in box. Went to Lowes....14-50.....3 wires.....Banda Bing ! No more taking the level 1 in and out of trunk.

Using my dryer outlet in garage.....30 amp circuit. Wish this unit drew 24 amps though. I can't complain but I usually do :).

I corrected your post:

RocksterAR said:
Brand *stolen* new *stolen* in box *stolen*. I knowingly purchase stolen goods, but ironically I went to Lowes to purchase....14-50.....3 wires.....Banda Bing ! No more taking the level 1 in and out of trunk.

This community isn't for you.

kubel said:
Merchants aren't left holding the bag when stolen cards are used. Neither is the owner of the card. The only reason this would be a problem is if the merchant didn't authorize the card. That would be incredibly stupid of them.

Sadly you are very mistaken. You are confusing transactions where the card is present and where the card is not. Obviously there are lots of different situations and credit card companies but the general rule is if the credit card is present the tr merchant is protected but when the card is not they do not have the same protections.

I won't be buying these, but i am curious how someone knows these devices in particular are stolen.

Pallets of junk show up on ebay all the time ... bankruptcy, liquidation, foreclosed storage, etc. which can be sold at hefty discounts.

All the posts on these threads appear to be wild speculation, which is probably why the police and ebay will do absolutely nothing.

And yes, the vendor is left holding the bag (and the chargebacks) when it comes to stolen credit cards. Some of the schemes are very sophisticated.

rainnw said:
I won't be buying these, but i am curious how someone knows these devices in particular are stolen...

...All the posts on these threads appear to be wild speculation, which is probably why the police and ebay will do absolutely nothing...

Did you read the 5th post? http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13364#p304683" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kubel said:
Merchants aren't left holding the bag when stolen cards are used. Neither is the owner of the card. The only reason this would be a problem is if the merchant didn't authorize the card. That would be incredibly stupid of them.

As an online merchant for the past 10 years, I can guarantee you that merchants ARE left holding the bag when stolen credit cards are used. Here's how it works:

1. Order is submitted, authorization security checks are made against the credit card. If the information provided with the order match the data on file with the credit card issuer, the order is accepted and the card is charged.
2. Order is shipped. Sometimes the order is shipped to the card holder's address (family/child fraud) sometimes it's shipped to another address (family/child/outsider fraud).
3. Order recipient receives order/tracking shows the order has been delivered.
4. Card holder reports fraud on their card.
5. Credit card issuer contacts merchant's credit card processor and they IMMEDIATELY withdraw the disputed funds from merchant's bank account.
6. Merchant is contacted by their credit card processor regarding the disputed payment and are given a chance to tell their side of what happened.
7. 99.9% of the time, the credit card processor will side with the customer rather than the merchant. That means the merchant has lost both the merchandise AND the funds. Yes, ALL merchants are left holding the bag each and every time someone reports a fraudulent transaction on their credit card.

Unfortunately, the majority of the population is unaware of this fact and thinks the credit card issuers are the ones that lose the money and that's what all those monthly fees pay for. No, not true. Retailers are the true victims in this situation. :evil:

Back