2nd Public U.S. DC Quick Charger Unveiled in Portland, OR

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkStar

This morning, America's first "Electric Avenue" was unveiled at Portland State University in SW Portland. The big news is that it's the 2nd publicly available DC Quick Charger (Eaton):

fQJN.jpg

Here's a PowerPoint presentation on the project: http://www.slideshare.net/patrick0101/portland-electric-avenue

...and yes, there was dancing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjH2jea_xz0[/youtube]

More info as we get it!

Awesome!

And, I wonder when will we ever see a Chademo QC installed in San Jose or anywhere in the Silicon Valley?

EVERY Nissan dealer in Japan has a L3 quick charger. As of the end of last month there were over 200 locations in the country.

Why don't our Nissan dealers offer free quick chargers? Sure would help get things rolling!

I'm visiting Japan now and will tour the LEAF factory on Monday. Will also visit Nissan world headquarters and their showroom gallery/museum.

LOTS of TV ads for the LEAF too.

GoSolar said:
EVERY Nissan dealer in Japan has a L3 quick charger. As of the end of last month there were over 200 locations in the country.

Why don't our Nissan dealers offer free quick chargers? Sure would help get things rolling!

Every dealer in Norway that wants to sell the Leaf must also install a quick charger, on their own cost. There are a few operational at this time and more to come. I haven't heard about any dealerships installing L2 chargers though, just L3.

Also there are quite a few other initiatives for installing quick chargers here, probably about 30-40 will be operational this year and I suspect double that or more next year.

Goverment grants pay for around 40-50% of the cost of the publicly available chargers (not the Nissan dealer ones). The grants amount to about $37000 per charger.

Soon I will be able to undertake both my typical long distance trips by Leaf, one 175 miles and one 235 miles.

GoSolar said:

I'm visiting Japan now and will tour the LEAF factory on Monday. Will also visit Nissan world headquarters and their showroom gallery/museum.

LOTS of TV ads for the LEAF too.
Japanese dealers are owned by Nissan. U.S. dealers are franchised (independently owned) from Nissan. A similar situation exists in the U.K. too (owned by Nissan).

Just got back from electric avenue. I found that the quick charger was on the blink (no pun intended). The blink charger next to it was just a prop because they don't have it installed yet. Further down I plugged in normally with a L2 charger. It's a nice spot right next to the Saturday market at PSU. There was an annoyed Subaru driver that was parking right in front of the quick charger but she got the message & left. The plugin Prius had been parked there a while right under a street light that was a favorite of the birds. Got nuked pretty badly.

Pics:

My wife tried to plug in at Electric Avenue and she wasn't able to find a working charger. She tried the blink and the shorepower unit. So far we haven't been able to get a single public blink charger to work (out of 3 attempts.) It would be nice if the chargers were actually functional at the point they have been publicly announced. Hopefully somebody is paying attention to this because it is more than the number of available chargers. They actually have to work when needed.

From "First Public Charger in San Diego 6/16 Show up to Support!"
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4273&start=147

Randy said:
UL Approval on Blink DC Fast Chargers is expected in September (according to Andy), and installation to follow after that....

perpetualstudent said:
My wife tried to plug in at Electric Avenue and she wasn't able to find a working charger. She tried the blink and the shorepower unit. So far we haven't been able to get a single public blink charger to work (out of 3 attempts.) It would be nice if the chargers were actually functional at the point they have been publicly announced. Hopefully somebody is paying attention to this because it is more than the number of available chargers. They actually have to work when needed.
What did Blink tell you when you called them? I haven't stopped by Electric Avenue yet, but have had a lot of success at other stations.

I had a problem with a Chargepoint station in Sherwood last week and called it in (the EVSE stated there was a ground fault error) and they called back about 2 hours later letting me know that the parts would be shipped overnight so the service technician could fix it by the next day. Talk about awesome communication and service!

I test out the Tualatin Shorepower charging station on a regular basis and let them know if there are any issues. When I first got the car in April they had some software issues that needed to be worked out, but I haven't had any problems since then!

ht2 said:
From "First Public Charger in San Diego 6/16 Show up to Support!"
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4273&start=147

Randy said:
UL Approval on Blink DC Fast Chargers is expected in September (according to Andy), and installation to follow after that....
I'm really curious how many Blink DC Quick Chargers we'll end up seeing in public. For example, the State of Oregon picked AeroVironment for their DC Quick Charger installations and will be starting to install a series of 22 stations this fall (about 12 months for all to be operational). Eaton is really stepping up as well, so ECOtality (Blink) might end up being left in-the-dust! :D

Blink will get some shares because around 500 quick charge stations are planned already.
61 for Oregon. ;)

ht2 said:
60 each for 4 EV project city/state(240) + AZ(40) + SF bay area(31) + Houston (50) + Chicago(73) + Baltimore (3)
http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/chargingMap/index#/leaf-electric-car/chargingMap/index

eVgo will add 70 to Dallas.
https://www.evgonetwork.com/The_Network/Planned_Stations/

Mitsubishi will add some more to Hawaii.
http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/smart-takes/mitsubishi-hawaii-partner-on-ev-charging-infrastructure/16842

edit:Changed AZ planned number from 60 to 40.

The screen was blank if I remember correctly. I wasn't there when she was having the trouble. We didn't call blink. We also tried the station by the Hillsboro Stadium once. There were two that were working, but both had ICE vehicles occupying the spots. Of course the third one didn't work at all.

I used the L3 tonight & it kept charging beyond 80%. Can i go all the way to 100% because home is 72 miles. How bad would it be for the battery to go to 100% on L3 once or once a month?

ColumbiaRiverGorge said:
I used the L3 tonight & it kept charging beyond 80%. Can i go all the way to 100% because home is 72 miles. How bad would it be for the battery to go to 100% on L3 once or once a month?

Supposedly it will charge to 100% if you start with a partially charged battery (50%).. occasional use of L3 is ok, my WAG is that you can do it about 300 times without a significant impact, perhaps more if you dont live in BEV purgatory Phoenix. BEV hell would be Death Valley. In cold weather L3 charging would have no impact at all.

Back