24 kWh Battery replacement cost back down to $5500

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep I posted another thread and just checked a month ago. $7,670 plus $600 labor = $8,270. My county charges (9.75%) sales tax. it was over $9,000.

I paid $12,000 for my 2015 SV LEAF with 20K miles just shy of 3 years ago. Why would I pay $9K for a battery. Fortuitously I have 11 bars and about +80 mile range on the guess-O-meter. It is fine for local errands and commute. It is a 2nd car so no big deal.

The resale on these are so low (espcially in my Mid-Atlantic zip code. EV driving is not a thing but BIG trucks and SUV's are/ God Bless America.

Anyway, my other car is a 2010 VW TDI (turbo direct injection) Diesel JSW (Jetta Sportwagan) and gets 50 MPG on the highway. Yes I had the Mod done and VW gave me $6000 on top of that plus 4 year 40K mile warranty on engine. I am happy and the VW is a keeper. I had an unexpected trip to Nashville 3 hours away (about 200 miles). I drove out and back same day on one tank with 300 miles to spare on my tank... NO EV HAS 700 MILE RANGE... The VW is not made for short trips... so when it is time to go somewhere, the VW is my ride. Going to the store, to work sometimes (40 mile RT) I'll take the LEAF. However the cost of owning two cars (tabs, insurance) is really not cost effective. Am I saving the planet driving a LEAF? No and no one is. The cost in energy and resources to make it, energy to charge it, and waste of short life span of battery is not a winner. We can only hope for President AOC in 2024 will throw us all into the dark ages as all petroleum is banned. Of course there will be no electricity as renewable energy can't even come close to meeting demand. I can't wait for the all electric airliners. :mrgreen:

gmcjetpilot said:
Yep I posted another thread and just checked a month ago. $7,670 plus $600 labor = $8,270. My county charges (9.75%) sales tax. it was over $9,000.

I paid $12,000 for my 2015 SV LEAF with 20K miles just shy of 3 years ago. Why would I pay $9K for a battery. Fortuitously I have 11 bars and about +80 mile range on the guess-O-meter. It is fine for local errands and commute. It is a 2nd car so no big deal.

The resale on these are so low (espcially in my Mid-Atlantic zip code. EV driving is not a thing but BIG trucks and SUV's are/ God Bless America.

Anyway, my other car is a 2010 VW TDI (turbo direct injection) Diesel JSW (Jetta Sportwagan) and gets 50 MPG on the highway. Yes I had the Mod done and VW gave me $6000 on top of that plus 4 year 40K mile warranty on engine. I am happy and the VW is a keeper. I had an unexpected trip to Nashville 3 hours away (about 200 miles). I drove out and back same day on one tank with 300 miles to spare on my tank... NO EV HAS 700 MILE RANGE... The VW is not made for short trips... so when it is time to go somewhere, the VW is my ride. Going to the store, to work sometimes (40 mile RT) I'll take the LEAF. However the cost of owning two cars (tabs, insurance) is really not cost effective. Am I saving the planet driving a LEAF? No and no one is. The cost in energy and resources to make it, energy to charge it, and waste of short life span of battery is not a winner. We can only hope for President AOC in 2024 will throw us all into the dark ages as all petroleum is banned. Of course there will be no electricity as renewable energy can't even come close to meeting demand. I can't wait for the all electric airliners. :mrgreen:

Look at 3rd party battery upgrades. You can get a 62 kwh pack installed for $14 K. This makes the "why would I..." question much easier to answer

DaveinOlyWA said:
Look at 3rd party battery upgrades. You can get a 62 kwh pack installed for $14 K.
To see just how ridiculous that price is, compare to a lightly used 62 kWh Bolt for ~ $16k. That is the entire car, not just the superior battery with TMS. Oh ... and it comes with a multi-year warranty and use of the CCS network.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Look at 3rd party battery upgrades. You can get a 62 kwh pack installed for $14 K.
To see just how ridiculous that price is, compare to a lightly used 62 kWh Bolt for ~ $16k. That is the entire car, not just the superior battery with TMS. Oh ... and it comes with a multi-year warranty and use of the CCS network.

^^^^
This is basically what convinced me upgrading the battery is pointless. Also the main reason I sold the car. Opportunity cost of holding the Leaf bag is huge

I agree that the price on the larger packs is too high, but guessing some of that is availability. There are not tons of them to be had. With the Bolt credits gone, I am curious to see if that arrests the decline in used Bolt credits for a while. If a 2017/18 Bolt can be had for 18K, that should push a 2018 Leaf used price to 15K or less given the range difference. It feels like they are still trying to get a bit more.

40s on the other hand, should be much more affordable, especially over time. The battery already shouldn't be more than 5-6K now, less from a salvage car. A solid 100 winter, 140-150 summer miles still could be quite useful range for many drivers.

In the end, all of our EVs are feeling more and more like LCD TVs every year, with the technological commodification driving capability change faster, and putting even more downward pressure on cars more than 2-3 years old.

DougWantsALeaf said:
If a 2017/18 Bolt can be had for 18K, that should push a 2018 Leaf used price to 15K or less given the range difference. It feels like they are still trying to get a bit more.

You're not acknowledging SageBrush's point. A 2017 Bolt can be had for under $16k, not 18k. Many have sold between 13-14k with high-ish mileage. They are a hundred times better value than any Leaf. Even a 2020 Bolt Premier at $35k OTD is a better value than the highest end Leaf at 26k or whatever.

2018 Leafs can't get devalued below $10k soon enough.

coleafrado said:
2018 Leafs can't get devalued below $10k soon enough.
That sounds about right to me, and then where does it leave the 3rd party battery replacement industry for early LEAFs ?

Not in a good place.

goldbrick said:
I wouldn't say a Bolt is hundred times better for those who don't QC and prefer a more comfortable car.
'A 100x better value' is an exaggeration to be sure but it is not just CCS, it is also a battery with TMS. Those are car defining differences.

As for comfort -- ymmv. I was thinking about inviting my wife to go check out a Gen1 Bolt to hear what she thought about its ergonomics. She is the stereotypical practical woman and has no preconceptions from reading car forums. Then I sat down with a spreadsheet and realized that I might as well let her run our 2013 LEAF until it no longer makes the run into the city and back*. No trades, no battery swaps. I am going to revisit this question in a few months after the new Gen Bolt is released since I expect it to exert price pressure on the DC fast charge hobbled 50 kW Gen1 Bolts

*That is the advantage and the curse of buying a fully depreciated LEAF -- best to keep it until the junk yard calls. :p
It also helps that my wife wants a car that is a reliable appliance that can be ignored. For her a car change is just unwanted stress.

DougWantsALeaf said:
40s on the other hand, should be much more affordable, especially over time. The battery already shouldn't be more than 5-6K now, less from a salvage car. A solid 100 winter, 140-150 summer miles still could be quite useful range for many drivers.
A $5k (installed) 40 kWh battery replacement for Gen1 LEAFs that is sanctioned and warrantied for 5 years would be a game changer for degraded LEAFs. Unfortunately I don't see it anywhere on the horizon. Maybe in a couple of years ?

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Obviously not a solution that works for everyone on "either" choice. You can get a 40 kwh pack for as low as $6500 if you want to play the low ball game.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

For those living in a cool climate, with no need for fast QC and a preference for quiet, comfortable cars, that comparison would be apples to oranges. The Gen I Bolt may not be crude, but it is a bit coarse, from the ride on anything but great pavement to the controls. It is also a car in which you have to choose between carrying cargo and carrying more than one passenger.

LeftieBiker said:
The Gen I Bolt may not be crude, but it is a bit coarse, from the ride on anything but great pavement to the controls. It is also a car in which you have to choose between carrying cargo and carrying more than one passenger.
lol

If a boat ride is your cup of tea then buy that type of tyres
The rear seat is a split 40:60 folding

Sagebrush, it will work wonders for your blood pressure - and popularity - if you just accept that not everyone has the same preferences, and that there is no one RIGHT set of them. Many, many people have passed on the Bolt for the reasons I gave. I will grant you, though, that you can carry a bit of cargo if no more than three people are in the car.

With the huge range boost over our 2013 Leaf in 2018, I really hoped we would have liked the Bolt. But as said, we felt the ride was coarser and less refined. The reduced rear cargo worried us, as we use the Leaf as our costco hauler, and it would only work if we didn't have any of our 3 kids in tow.

GM did a really good job in the battery, and this might be the best value for many drivers. If you like the ride and interior, go for it.

DougWantsALeaf said:
With the huge range boost over our 2013 Leaf in 2018, I really hoped we would have liked the Bolt. But as said, we felt the ride was coarser and less refined. The reduced rear cargo worried us, as we use the Leaf as our costco hauler, and it would only work if we didn't have any of our 3 kids in tow.

GM did a really good job in the battery, and this might be the best value for many drivers. If you like the ride and interior, go for it.
Found it sad that GM made some key creature comfort trade-off on the Bolt. I've had other GM products over the years with similar trade-off so not surprised and don't believe Bolt is substandard relative to other GM product. I could have lived with the short wheelbase choppy ride and lack of a heat pump (given the battery size). The deal breaker for me was the lack of adaptive cruise control, cheap-cheap-cheap plastic interior everywhere you touch, and horendous front seats. Decision was sealed with the left hip charlie-horse when stepping out of the driver's seat. Find that a redeeming quality of Nissan products including LEAF is execution of the creature comforts.

Hello,

I have a 2012 Leaf with a bad battery, and have read through this thread with interest. The dealer quoted me $15,507 (inclusive) to replace it. I live in Hawaii, where I expect slightly higher costs, but not this high. Unfortunately there are limited options. I called the two other Nissan dealers on the island. One quoted $10,152 inclusive, the third said $9557 for the part, and then labor, tax, and the adjustment for turning in the old battery. I called Nissan Consumer Affairs, but the person was not able to confirm a price for me, just that she was surprised.

1. Can anyone here either confirm a recent price (as in September, or August) for replacing a 24KWh battery?
2. Does anyone have a good US phone number for Nissan I could call to check on a current price?
3. I read that Nissan was going to offer rebuilt battery packs. Has anyone in the US had that done?

Thank you for any help.

The refurbished pack program is only for Japan. If you can afford the $10k inclusive quote, and can get it in writing before work starts, I'd grit my teeth and go with that one. Your other option is to try to find out if anyone on the island is installing the 40kwh pack in Gen I Leafs. That one is a long shot.

Thank you for the information. The article I read was from a year ago, so I was hoping that by now refurbished batteries were available to us in the US.

It's hard to justify paying $10k to fix to an older car; for that much, we can probably buy a newer used Leaf. But I really have trouble simply scrapping an otherwise perfectly good car. It's very frustrating. Still deciding what to do. We would gladly pay $6,500, but as far as I can tell the option for that has changed.

Back