2019 Leaf starting noise

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KB12

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and new to the Leaf. Just bought a 2019. I have a question about a slight noise while starting the car up. I remember it as being totally silent at first (I could be wrong) but now I am noticing a light clanking/clicking sound while starting the car from somewhere under the hood. It’s the same noise that occurs after plugging the car in. Is this normal? I’m probably being paranoid, but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

ours makes a similar noise, not to worry, and one of the few things that bug us about our Leafs (both the 2019 and the older one) is the clunky start-up: if you try to put it into gear (well, drive) too quickly it goes into a sort of sleep mode, will not drive, then you have to push the on-off button again and then again to get it to operate. Seems so counter-intuitive, but it is a good reminder to simply breath deeply, put on seat belt, and wait for the lazy electrons to catch up with the faster-than-speeding-bullets humans. Otherwise, pretty nice car! Hope you find lots of good info here.....

It is normal. On going to READY, those clacking sounds are the relays and contactors engaging to apply the HV power to the controller. The 12V battery is used to power the coils of these devices and is an important maint item for an EV. During charging the main contactors must be engaged in order to make the path to push electrons back into the pack.

To further expand, the big battery that moves the car remains "disconnected" when not powered on for safety reasons. The small 12 volt battery runs the car electronics while the big battery is disconnected. Think of it as a safety switch in the off chance the car was damaged while sitting unused. You wouldn't want high voltage energizing the car 24/7.

Back