2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped 3rd capacity bar on '17 LEAF.
Odo 52840.
Yes-Previously had BMS "fix".
Never driven in extreme heat.
No level 3 charging for at least 3 years.
Never been driven more than 100 miles in any 24 hour period.
Mods-Please move to more appropriate location if deemed necessary.
Thank you.

It has been tenaciously holding on to that 4th bar but it’s finally dropped!

4th bar gone

Date 6/28/2023
AHr 51.94
SOH 65.35
V 394.30
Hx 33.58
ODO 35,776 (a few FL summers & 100% charging)
QC 26
L1/L2 1414
SOC 97.6%
GIDS 237
kWh 18.4

In service 1/2017. Was a lease I then bought out so have to see how things play out with Nissan…

thatlarryguy said:
Just got off the phone with the dealership. Our battery has arrived. Four months since we took it in. Dropping it off after work today. They were going to try and turn it around in one day (I'm guessing to avoid giving us a loaner). Since we're going out of town tomorrow it doesn't really matter, we'll just pick it up next week.

Did you get a 40kwh or 30kwh?

kansas said:
thatlarryguy said:
Just got off the phone with the dealership. Our battery has arrived. Four months since we took it in. Dropping it off after work today. They were going to try and turn it around in one day (I'm guessing to avoid giving us a loaner). Since we're going out of town tomorrow it doesn't really matter, we'll just pick it up next week.

Did you get a 40kwh or 30kwh?

Based on prior post I don't think the story has a conclusion yet....

thatlarryguy said:
Apparently that wasn't my battery the dealer had received. Not sure where the snafu happened but Nissan wouldn't let them use it. They told me they were preprogrammed to the VIN# and it didn't match. I should be next as far as this dealership is concerned for what it's worth. They have four on order. Not sure how believable the story is but not much I can do. So back in the queue.

Just a disappointing update after 7 and 1/2 months. Spoke with the dealer this week and he had no news other than they are still waiting on batteries for cars that are 6-8 weeks ahead of me. He didn't mention buybacks and I didn't either since I don't see how I can feasibly replace it.

thatlarryguy said:
Just a disappointing update after 7 and 1/2 months. Spoke with the dealer this week and he had no news other than they are still waiting on batteries for cars that are 6-8 weeks ahead of me. He didn't mention buybacks and I didn't either since I don't see how I can feasibly replace it.

Strongly recommend starting a case with Nissan CA and pursuing buyback. You don't have to accept what they offer, but at least you'd know. The offer will very likely snap to your state's lemon law: https://bbbprograms.org/programs/all-programs/bbb-autoline/lemon-laws-by-state/

By early next week, I'll be posting what I hope is the final entry on my buyback journey: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=632805#p632805

Opinion so should I buy a 17 with 8 bars for 6500? Is it worth the hassle to try to get a new battery from Nissan?

I wouldn't say that. They go pretty fast where I live but there are tons of Leafs around here. I still easily get > 100 miles on mine (in the summer) and it's just my 'around town car' so what's not to like?

mn4az said:
thatlarryguy said:

Strongly recommend starting a case with Nissan CA and pursuing buyback. You don't have to accept what they offer, but at least you'd know. The offer will very likely snap to your state's lemon law: https://bbbprograms.org/programs/all-programs/bbb-autoline/lemon-laws-by-state/

By early next week, I'll be posting what I hope is the final entry on my buyback journey: https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=632805#p632805

The buyback process has started. They fed me a story about how they just recently found out there weren't any more 30Kwh batteries being made but I managed to hold my tongue and go along with her. Texas lemon laws are pretty pathetic especially for used cars so I am preparing to take a beating and maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

thatlarryguy said:
I guess my Leaf found out about the buyback process and took offense.

Dropped another bar this weekend. Not sure how much longer it will make the commute.

Given 'reasonable allowance' (line #14) you might be pleasantly surprised. Good luck!

https://assets.bbbprograms.org/docs/default-source/auto-line/statelemonlaws/texas-lemonlaw.pdf?sfvrsn=783ebed7_7

I just decided to move on to a vehicle with a bigger and better battery and figure out how to make some extra money to pay for it

NyNewLeaf said:
Opinion so should I buy a 17 with 8 bars for 6500? Is it worth the hassle to try to get a new battery from Nissan?

It wasn't easy getting my new 40 kWh battery back in January 2020 but I didn't give in. 3.5 years/20K miles later SOH is 90.95% an it balances out at 3-4mv when charged to 100%. The wife uses it for her work car when I'm out of pocket and cannot take her to Tesla. The larger pack could be good for up to 10 years I think it our case.

awhile said:
Two year update.
Two years since I received new 40 kWh replacement battery for my 2016 Leaf SV.

According to LeafSpy Pro,
I can charge to: 35 kWh
AHr = 105
SOH = 91%
GIDS = 453
Hx = 109%

Odometer 81k miles. I added 10k miles in two years since battery

Three year update.
Three years since I received new 40 kWh replacement battery for my 2016 Leaf SV.

According to LeafSpy Pro,
I can charge to: 34.8 kWh
AHr = 104.7
SOH = 90.74%
GIDS = 449
Hx = 103.53%

Odometer 85k miles. I added 15k miles in three years since battery

I quoted my 2 year report above.
The LeafSpy Pro numbers haven't changed much in one year????

Back