2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like Nissan Leaf controllers have two SOH values and BAR value (capacity bars percentage on the dashboard). LeafSpy only shows SOH. Android app LeafHacker shows all three values. SOH fluctuates, BAR number is only going down. Here is screenshot from LeafHacker. I lost 9th bar exactly at 66.25 BAR value.

I looked for LeafHacker in the playstore and it shows up on my PC but not my Android phone. I know I'm a boomer but what else am I missing?

Hi all,

I have a 2016 SL purchased used in December 2022 with about 65k miles. Battery is currently sitting at nine bars and I have been checking SOH monthly using LeafSpy. First check of battery health in December showed SOH at 67.58%. Latest check this month showed SOH at 65.08%. Although SOH has dropped below 66.25%, I have not lost the ninth bar yet. Anyone know what is going on and why the ninth bar has not dropped?

Thanks!

whidbeyleafer said:
Hi all,

I have a 2016 SL purchased used in December 2022 with about 65k miles. Battery is currently sitting at nine bars and I have been checking SOH monthly using LeafSpy. First check of battery health in December showed SOH at 67.58%. Latest check this month showed SOH at 65.08%. Although SOH has dropped below 66.25%, I have not lost the ninth bar yet. Anyone know what is going on and why the ninth bar has not dropped?

Thanks!

4th bar has been reported to drop as low as 64.29% SOH. Keep driving the car. It'll drop eventually.

Lastly... if you haven't already, make sure that your cars LBC firmware update has been done.

mn4az said:
whidbeyleafer said:
Hi all,

Thanks!

4th bar has been reported to drop as low as 64.29% SOH. Keep driving the car. It'll drop eventually.

Lastly... if you haven't already, make sure that your cars LBC firmware update has been done.

Awesome, thanks for that info. Yes, I did check the firmware version before I bought the car, but will verify again. The update had been done.

[Update: LeafSpy shows “4NP4C” for HV Battery, so from what I understand that means the car has had the LBC firmware update.]

I’ll try to remember to report SOH when the 4th bar drops.

whidbeyleafer said:
mn4az said:
whidbeyleafer said:
Hi all,

Thanks!

Awesome, thanks for that info. Yes, I did check the firmware version before I bought the car, but will verify again. The update had been done.

[Update: LeafSpy shows “4NP4C” for HV Battery, so from what I understand that means the car has had the LBC firmware update.]

Dropped the 4th bar today at 65.06% SOH! I will be contacting Nissan to start the process.

whidbeyleafer said:
whidbeyleafer said:
mn4az said:

Dropped the 4th bar today at 65.06% SOH! I will be contacting Nissan to start the process.

I started my claim Dec 2019 by calling the national Leaf Rep 800 number and got a claim number Before calling any dealership. When the dealership said Nissan was thinking about a Buyback I called my National Leaf Rep and she said I would be getting a new 40 kWh battery pack and did. The dealership called me to say National had contacted them and a new pack was being shipped.

That was when I realized Nissan was on the rocks..

That was several years ago and Nissan blew their EV window. After 22K miles on the new pack SOH is at 92%.

Three months ago when the Tesla Model Y dual motor long range price became about $12K cheaper than the similarly configured Ariya I ordered one and picked it up 6 days later. It's a 2023 out of Austin Texas.

If you can't get a new battery get as much cash as possible while you can and keep moving forward. I am glad l found our 2016 Leaf SL in 2019. After driving Nissans for 50 years watching them crashing on the EV On Ramp hurts.

mn4az said:
Congrats. Now the question will be new pack or buyback. Keep us posted please. I'm not too far behind you. Hopefully by end of May.

Brought my Leaf into my local dealer today. They took about three hours to look at the car, and at the end of it, they said, Yep you qualify for a new battery. They said this is the recommendation of their leaf expert.(they had some specific term for the person, I can’t remember.) They said they would be sending in the recommendation to Nissan and that I can expect it to take between six and 18 months to get the new battery.

I thought it was interesting that they were really excited about it. It sounded like it would be a great thing for the dealership for some reason. They said the battery costs $20,000. They said this several times.

One thing about it that I didn’t like is that they refused to give me a copy of any of the paperwork other than the basic battery report. I didn’t even get the normal print out of the service performed. So my plan is to contact Nissan corporate through their website (I guess) and try to get some kind of written confirmation that I am in line.

whidbeyleafer said:
I thought it was interesting that they were really excited about it. It sounded like it would be a great thing for the dealership for some reason. They said the battery costs $20,000. They said this several times.
The battery cost half of that, they are excited because they are going to make the other $10K installing it. :lol:

whidbeyleafer said:
mn4az said:
Congrats. Now the question will be new pack or buyback. Keep us posted please. I'm not too far behind you. Hopefully by end of May.

Brought my Leaf into my local dealer today. They took about three hours to look at the car, and at the end of it, they said, Yep you qualify for a new battery. They said this is the recommendation of their leaf expert.(they had some specific term for the person, I can’t remember.) They said they would be sending in the recommendation to Nissan and that I can expect it to take between six and 18 months to get the new battery.

One thing about it that I didn’t like is that they refused to give me a copy of any of the paperwork other than the basic battery report. I didn’t even get the normal print out of the service performed. So my plan is to contact Nissan corporate through their website (I guess) and try to get some kind of written confirmation that I am in line.

Awesome!

I just lost my 4th bar. I bought the 2017 SV new at the end of May 2017. Car has 48k miles. I have been looked forward to getting a new battery. But I wonder if they Nissan will want to buy it. I expected to lose the bar next year based on the degradation I had tracked.

Leaf Spy Pro says SOH = 66.22

I got a great deal on the car, the elec co kicked in $10k. I guess that will be taken of the price if they lemon law it?

Just got off the phone with the dealership. Our battery has arrived. Four months since we took it in. Dropping it off after work today. They were going to try and turn it around in one day (I'm guessing to avoid giving us a loaner). Since we're going out of town tomorrow it doesn't really matter, we'll just pick it up next week.

thatlarryguy said:
Just got off the phone with the dealership. Our battery has arrived. Four months since we took it in. Dropping it off after work today. They were going to try and turn it around in one day (I'm guessing to avoid giving us a loaner). Since we're going out of town tomorrow it doesn't really matter, we'll just pick it up next week.

Four months.... Nice.

Enjoy!

thatlarryguy said:

That is good news. I was expected Nissan to come through for you because they want a shot at the new Ariya EV to be successful.

Took my 2017 to a Nissan dealer today. I'm not sure why it takes an hour and 1/2 to see that the battery level is 8 bars. I guess they want me to respond to their texts and shop while I wait. That's not how I shop. So I got some work done using my laptop.

They told me I qualified for a replacement battery. I was kind of hoping for the lemon law offer, but in NC it seems there is a 24 month limit on new vehicle purchases. They expected the battery to take 1-2 months. We'll see about that. The 75 miles it can do now are good for how we use it. In fact, I considered waiting until next year to file. I have until May 2025.

It will be nice to see the guessometer double.

RaleighEV said:
Took my 2017 to a Nissan dealer today. I'm not sure why it takes an hour and 1/2 to see that the battery level is 8 bars. I guess they want me to respond to their texts and shop while I wait. That's not how I shop. So I got some work done using my laptop.

They told me I qualified for a replacement battery. I was kind of hoping for the lemon law offer, but in NC it seems there is a 24 month limit on new vehicle purchases. They expected the battery to take 1-2 months. We'll see about that. The 75 miles it can do now are good for how we use it. In fact, I considered waiting until next year to file. I have until May 2025.

My dealer took over 3 hours.

whidbeyleafer said:
mn4az said:

A few more details about my experience at the dealer.

When I arrived, the exact same guy I had spoken with over the phone on the day prior acted like he didn't know why I was there. I had to explain again about the battery health, 9 bars, etc. Then, the first thing the dealer's maintenance manager said was that the Leaf was out of warranty because it was beyond 3 years / 36,000 miles. I had to educate him on the extended warranty on the Li-ion battery. Then someone else said, "oh, the battery has to drop below 8 bars." I had to suppress a groan! We actually had to pull out the warranty language and read it together for them to understand it. Also, they actually said that they couldn't access the warranty language on their computer system until Nissan opened at 8 am pacific time!

I guess it's possible they were truly ignorant, but it's hard to give credence to that when they later mention that they have several other Leaf's waiting for new batteries. Are they willfully ignorant, and trying to push off / decline valid warranty claims? This is also inconsistent with their later exuberance about getting such a costly warranty repair.

Definitely a confusing experience. I thought I'd share these details in case others encounter these obstacles.

Regarding Nissan corporate:

I used the chat feature on Nissan's website to request documentation that the dealer has submitted my battery claim and that it is in progress. First, the Nissan rep told me they can't give me anything because all repairs are "dealer facing". When I told her that the dealer had declined to give me any documentation, she asked me for my account info. We have an account, but (I don't know if anyone else has noticed this), but their "garage" will not allow me to add my 2016 Leaf (maybe because it's too old?). The rep got fixated on getting proof of ownership rather than addressing my question. Finally, she agreed to give me a case number and assign a "regional rep" who would later get in touch with me. I thought "great!". Later that day, I received an email from the Nissan rep I had chatted with containing the case number, but no description of my request for documentation, and no mention of my battery warranty claim. The email was entirely focused on getting my Leaf on their account system (which I couldn't care less about, and never asked for). I replied to the email reiterating my request for documentation.

We'll see!

whidbeyleafer said:
whidbeyleafer said:
mn4az said:

A few more details about my experience at the dealer.

When I arrived, the exact same guy I had spoken with over the phone on the day prior acted like he didn't know why I was there. I had to explain again about the battery health, 9 bars, etc. Then, the first thing the dealer's maintenance manager said was that the Leaf was out of warranty because it was beyond 3 years / 36,000 miles. I had to educate him on the extended warranty on the Li-ion battery. Then someone else said, "oh, the battery has to drop below 8 bars." I had to suppress a groan! We actually had to pull out the warranty language and read it together for them to understand it. Also, they actually said that they couldn't access the warranty language on their computer system until Nissan opened at 8 am pacific time!

I guess it's possible they were truly ignorant, but it's hard to give credence to that when they later mention that they have several other Leaf's waiting for new batteries. Are they willfully ignorant, and trying to push off / decline valid warranty claims? This is also inconsistent with their later exuberance about getting such a costly warranty repair.

Definitely a confusing experience. I thought I'd share these details in case others encounter these obstacles.

Regarding Nissan corporate:

I used the chat feature on Nissan's website to request documentation that the dealer has submitted my battery claim and that it is in progress. First, the Nissan rep told me they can't give me anything because all repairs are "dealer facing". When I told her that the dealer had declined to give me any documentation, she asked me for my account info. We have an account, but (I don't know if anyone else has noticed this), but their "garage" will not allow me to add my 2016 Leaf (maybe because it's too old?). The rep got fixated on getting proof of ownership rather than addressing my question. Finally, she agreed to give me a case number and assign a "regional rep" who would later get in touch with me. I thought "great!". Later that day, I received an email from the Nissan rep I had chatted with containing the case number, but no description of my request for documentation, and no mention of my battery warranty claim. The email was entirely focused on getting my Leaf on their account system (which I couldn't care less about, and never asked for). I replied to the email reiterating my request for documentation.

We'll see!

Your battery warranty case number is your Golden Ticket to a new 40 kWh pack so don't lose it.

RaleighEV said:

Don't delay to get your 40 kWh pack

I got mine February 2020 and it's still at.91% SOH. A new pack could be good for another 8-10 years of cheap transportation.

Getting that case number a National Leaf Rep is key.to keep the dealership attention
It's required for their payday

Back