2013 Zero Motorcycle now w/ CHAdeMO charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drivesolo

Looks like Zero Motorcycles has raised the bar... significantly. More power, longer range all across their line-up and some of them w/ CHAdeMO capability (via an "optional accessory"). Hopefully this will create a little more support for CHAdeMO as a standard in future vehicles and for infrastructure.

http://green.autoblog.com/2012/10/03/2013-zero-motorcycles-lineup-faster-farther-chademo/

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/press-releases/oct-02-2012-zero-model-line-2013.html

zero-fx-2013-628.jpg

zero-s-2013-628-1349218154.jpg

zero-ds-2013-wb-628-1349214805.jpg

zero-xu-2013-628-1349256564.jpg

zero-mx-2013-628-1349259248.jpg

Sounds like a good idea, have a DC-in port, and you buy the CHAdeMO accessory and can buy a different one when the standard changes.

I'm picturing a Tesla Supercharger adapter!

Note, I think the CHAdeMO probably draws only about 10kW (out of a possible 50kW) probably due to limitations of the battery to QC. So, I think you get about 10kWh of power into your ~10kW battery pack in about an hour.

They have different options like 8.5kWh battery or 11.4kWh battery.

( A CHAdeMO plug is a fairly big thing to lug around on a bike... )

Sounds promising. It is all about fast charging to make EV's mainstream. If only there were more fast chargers.

I like the looks of the street bikes. They look nice and normal.

TEG said:
Note, I think the CHAdeMO probably draws only about 10kW (out of a possible 50kW) probably due to limitations of the battery to QC. So, I think you get about 10kWh of power into your ~10kW battery pack in about an hour.

What's the point then? You could get that out of L2, no? Or close to it...

GeekEV said:
TEG said:

What's the point then? You could get that out of L2, no? Or close to it...

Well, you don't want to carry around a 10kW AC->DC charger in a bike either. Too big / heavy / expensive I think.
So their J1772 interface probably has a much more modest ability to charge from 240V.
They quote non-CHAdeMO recharge times of 5.5 hours (8.5kW pack) and 7.4 hours (11.4kW pack) so it sounds like the on-board AC charger is only good for about 1.6kW. Makes sense for the price & size requirements of a motorcycle...

Zero doesn't support J1772 without an add-on accessory, to my knowledge... but it won't make it charge any faster. So... out of the box, your 120V wall plug is your friend. (But I'm really not sure about 2013; I doubt they added the port on the bike.)

My coworker just got a 2012 Zero S. You are right on that onboard space is an issue for J1772.

With the stock onboard charger it only pulls about 900W on 120VAC.

If you want to charge faster, you can plug in additional chargers to charge up to 4x faster. But you'd need a backpack to hold them all.

It really needs J1772 stock in addition to the IEC connector, though. The J1772 adapter is a $500 option.

I now own a 2012 Zero DS.

87 mph is about as fast as it will go, and only for limited spurts, it likes 70 mph. It rides like a dream and the regen makes the brakes almost useless. Lots of fun, looking forward to taking into the dirt!

They gave me $2500 plus the trade in value of my 2000 Kawasaki Drifter 1500. I am very happy to get rid of that big peice of metal and have what has been described by a few on lookers already as a "Bad ass" bike.

Now the wife gets the Leaf, and I get to have more electric fun on the commute!

I was thinking of trading in an old bike for the 2012 to take advantage of the "Cash for Carbon" program. Guess I'll wait. This looks very promising though!

ww73 said:
I was thinking of trading in an old bike for the 2012 to take advantage of the "Cash for Carbon" program. Guess I'll wait. This looks very promising though!
I am not at all sure that they will continue the trade in program, that is why I jumped on it. I am very happy with the bike.

Back