2013 SV or 2013 S w/ QC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scaramanga

Buying a 2nd LEAF as a kid car this weekend, the 2013 off lease models are basically too cheap not to with depreciation being what it is.

My question is should we go with an S or SV, and is there any way to get Bluetooth in an S with a particular option? My kids would be well served in an S with manual heat and no GPS, don't really want SirusXM or NissanConnect for their car, but I would like to keep them off their phones while driving.

Many cars are available in the Seattle area with the 6.6kw and QC chargers, but we're looking mostly for a 2013 with ~25k miles or less.

Thoughts?

In your climate you'd be much better off with an SV, because of the heatpump. Otherwise you'll use lots of power any time you need heat or even heated defogging.

That's a good point, I didn't realize the 2013 S models didn't have the uprated heater as well. That about solves that, it's cold and wet here all the time.

I dont think there's a way to tell from the window sticker but what build date should I be looking for to have the best possible battery for this year car? The Lizard battery came out in 2015 yes?

http://cpo.nissanusa.com/nna/?1N4AZ0CP9DC410759

The early fast-degrading battery was improved starting with April 2013 builds. The Lizard pack was then installed starting in 2015. We still don't know what the differences are, exactly, or how much better the "Lizard" pack is compared to the later 2013-2014 packs. The build date is found on the manufacture sticker on the driver's door sill, and it is also in Carfax reports.

One of the cars we're looking at was built 6/2013 on car fax , am I basically looking for the latest buil date possible?

@Scaramanga, you mentioned in your original post that you were choosing between an S + QC or an SV w/o QC; however, based on the original sticker PDF link you recently posted, the SV also has QC.

Perhaps you found a different SV that has QC?

I only mention it in case it's the same car as in your original post...

Scaramanga said:
is there any way to get Bluetooth in an S with a particular option? My kids would be well served in an S with manual heat and no GPS, don't really want SirusXM or NissanConnect for their car, but I would like to keep them off their phones while driving.
No way to get streaming audio on a S but it does have bluetooth for phone calls. Note both S and SV have automatic or climate control heating/cooling although I prefer to use mine in manual mode. Yes also no way to get GPS or NissanConnect in a S but both have a XM radio standard although of course you have to pay for it.
In one way I like the simplicity of the S w/QC package and although you get the faster L2 charging and better heater standard on the SV you lose the QC without adding the QC package. NOTE with the '13S model you HAVE to get the QC package to get the backup camera, after '13 the backup camera was standard on all Leafs and trim models. Lastly, the backup camera on the SV/SL models is slightly nicer/larger than the S models. By nicer I mean on the SV/SL models it shows curved lines telling you approximately where you will go depending on how your steering wheel is turned. On the S models the lines are just straight and don't curve depending on your steering wheel.

The SV also has the advantage of having an optional 4 camera parking system that is very handy for most parking. The "Premium Package" option provides that and a nicer Bose low energy stereo. In 2013 both QC and Premium package were available options, so a '13 SV can have one, both, or neither. Mine has Premium only, no QC. IIRC, in 2014 you could only get one of those, not both.

LeftieBiker said:
In 2013 both QC and Premium package were available options, so a '13 SV can have one, both, or neither. Mine has Premium only, no QC. IIRC, in 2014 you could only get one of those, not both.
Yep about the '13 and the configurator for the '14. Yet, it seems like some folks were able to get '14 SV with both packages, somehow. Not sure if that only lasted for a short while or if it was a bug w/the configurator page.

Found a red 2014 S with QC for $9799 and snapped it up today. MSRP in 2014 was 31.6k. Originally delivered in Oly, WA and was retuned back into the same dealer. Came off 3yr lease with 16k miles, SOH = 90%, still has 12 bars. Build date = 1/14. It's in the garage charging right now.

Absolutely a great car for my sons. Thank you all for your help and advice.

Scaramanga said:
Found a red 2014 S with QC for $9799 and snapped it up today. MSRP in 2014 was 31.6k. Originally delivered in Oly, WA and was retuned back into the same dealer. Came off 3yr lease with 16k miles, SOH = 90%, still has 12 bars. Build date = 1/14. It's in the garage charging right now.

Absolutely a great car for my sons. Thank you all for your help and advice.

Congrats, that's a nice low mileage score. :cool:

cwerdna said:
LeftieBiker said:
In 2013 both QC and Premium package were available options, so a '13 SV can have one, both, or neither. Mine has Premium only, no QC. IIRC, in 2014 you could only get one of those, not both.
Yep about the '13 and the configurator for the '14. Yet, it seems like some folks were able to get '14 SV with both packages, somehow. Not sure if that only lasted for a short while or if it was a bug w/the configurator page.
I'm currently looking at a '14 Leaf brochure(I don't have a '13 brochure :( ) and this is what it says on the "Chose your Trim Level" page:
Key available package:
S Charge Package
SV LED Headlights and Quick Charger Port Package
Premium Package
SL Premium Package

On the next page it states the LED and QC package on the SV adds:
Aerodynamic LED headlights
Auto on/off headlights
QC port
Fog lights

The premium package on both the SV and SL add:
Around View Monitor
Bose audio w/7 speakers

I agree, it sounds like Scaramanga got a pretty decent deal on his '14, probably out of the 3y/36k full warranty but should probably have a couple years left of the 5y/60k battery capacity warranty.

Yeah it had like two weeks remaining on the 3/36 so I bought a Nissan extended warranty to cover everything out to 6/60,000. That'll cover it as for at least 5 years, were low mileage people.

They also sell two different types of extended warranties. The one usually sold while the car is still under warranty begins on the in-service date for the vehicle, not the date the extended warranty was sold. If this is what was purchased, it will only cover for the next two years and not five years. If you bought the one for out of warranty vehicles, then it begins on the date the plan was sold. I bought one for my Leaf during the last week of the factory warranty. I went for the 8 year/96k miles package with $0 deductible to get the five years of coverage.

baustin said:
They also sell two different types of extended warranties. The one usually sold while the car is still under warranty begins on the in-service date for the vehicle, not the date the extended warranty was sold. If this is what was purchased, it will only cover for the next two years and not five years. If you bought the one for out of warranty vehicles, then it begins on the date the plan was sold. I bought one for my Leaf during the last week of the factory warranty. I went for the 8 year/96k miles package with $0 deductible to get the five years of coverage.

That's the "new car" version, and I got it too, though I only bought "4" years, not expecting another lease extension. Now I'll be back to powertrain warranty only in June.

Back