2013 Leaf battery maintenance?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foolios

I saw a youtube video of a leaf owner that didn't realize he had to maintain the leaf's battery.
I am thinking he must have meant the accessory battery.
Is there any maintenance I should be performing on any of the batteries for the S version Leaf?

Install a connecting pigtail for a battery maintainer/charger. The Leaf's accessory battery charging algorithm is NOT right, and dead accessory batteries are common. Don't use a unit that puts out less than 1.5 or two amps, because it won't be enough if you need to actually put numerous amp-hours back into the battery regularly.

LeftieBiker said:
Install a connecting pigtail for a battery maintainer/charger. The Leaf's accessory battery charging algorithm is NOT right, and dead accessory batteries are common. Don't use a unit that puts out less than 1.5 or two amps, because it won't be enough if you need to actually put numerous amp-hours back into the battery regularly.
While the algorithm is problematic, I'm not sure that is the main cause of dead batteries. In many cases it is due to the Leaf accidentally being left on. There are a lot of us chugging along with the original battery and doing just fine without putting the Leaf on a battery maintainer. Mine turns 3 years old next month.

Stoaty said:
LeftieBiker said:
While the algorithm is problematic, I'm not sure that is the main cause of dead batteries. In many cases it is due to the Leaf accidentally being left on. There are a lot of us chugging along with the original battery and doing just fine without putting the Leaf on a battery maintainer. Mine turns 3 years old next month.

I have never left my car on, yet I've had the battery die once, and show too-low voltage (12.4 or less with the car off) numerous times. The only problem I can see that isn't directly related to the charging programming is the parasitic drain from the EVSE if it's left plugged in after charging ends.

Going on 39 months here and at my three year battery check, it still tested as excellent...

Stoaty said:
There are a lot of us chugging along with the original battery and doing just fine without putting the Leaf on a battery maintainer. Mine turns 3 years old next month.

Tom do you charge to 100%? I am asking because in the last few weeks I have noticed that when I charge to 100% the 12v battery is charged full at the same time. When I ran two weeks at 80% I saw about 3-4 hours charging to top off the 12v battery every 4 days or so.

My theory, and it could be wrong, is that when charging to 100% the car does "top off" the 12v aux battery. If that is indeed the case then folks with 2014 or newer cars won't have an issue :) or even if most folks do a 100% charge once a week I think it would be covered as well.

TomT said:
Going on 39 months here and at my three year battery check, it still tested as excellent...

Stoaty said:
There are a lot of us chugging along with the original battery and doing just fine without putting the Leaf on a battery maintainer. Mine turns 3 years old next month.

There's no reason to doubt you Tom, but why do you keep presenting this? There are lots of owners who have had problems with dead or weak batteries. If your usage patterns have allowed your accessory battery to avoid the too-wide swings in SOC then well and good.

The primary problem is when the vehicle is left plugged-in for multiple days, which throws a double-whammy at the 12V battery
1 - The vehicle draws much more "dark current" than when unplugged
2 - Top-off charging by the DC-DC converter is inhibited.

This draws the battery down to low states of charge, which is bad for lead-acid batteries especially those not designed for deep cycle use.

BrockWI said:
My theory, and it could be wrong, is that when charging to 100% the car does "top off" the 12v aux battery. If that is indeed the case then folks with 2014 or newer cars won't have an issue :) or even if most folks do a 100% charge once a week I think it would be covered as well.

The 12V battery gets charged whenever the main contractors are closed. This happens when charging the car, whether to 80% or 100%.

We have been saying for a long time that this is a no-no... I never do it and strongly advise others not to do so (I don't know if this was rectified on the 2013s and later).

All *I* am saying is that, unless the battery is defective, it should survive just fine as long as the simple rules of vehicle charging and usage are followed.
I've also left mine unplugged for weeks while traveling on multiple occasions with no adverse affects...

Nubo said:
The primary problem is when the vehicle is left plugged-in for multiple days, which throws a double-whammy at the 12V battery

Some circuits in the Leaf run from the 12V lead-acid battery, even with the car off. This includes keyless entry, security system, EVSE interface, the cell phone for carwings (if you have that option), and other circuits. These circuits draw measurable power and will eventually drain the battery so low that the car will not turn on.

The Leaf contains software that periodic recharges the 12V battery from the main propulsion battery so this should never be a problem. Every few days, with the car parked and off, you might see the blue lights on the hood blink for no other reason. This is an indication that the Leaf is topping off the 12V battery. My 2013 manual mentions this on page CH-35.

"When the indicator light (3) flashes
The indicator light (3) flashes when the 12-volt battery is being charged."

But this recharge cycle is disabled when the Leaf is connected to an EVSE. That's why you do not want to leave the Leaf in storage for weeks, connected to an EVSE.

If your 12V battery runs down, you can recharge it from a common car battery charger and get the car in good shape again. But don't connect the battery charger directly to the battery!!! Connect the + lead to the + terminal on the battery and connect the charger - lead to the car metal body. Others have written about this on this forum. If you ever need to recharge your 12V battery, please research carefully before connecting a charger. And don't assume that your friendly tow-truck driver knows this.

Running a 12V lead-acid battery all of the way down will shorten the battery's life, depending on really how far down you go and how often you do it. But running the battery down once or twice may not be enough to matter.

Bob

Nubo said:
The 12V battery gets charged whenever the main contractors are closed. This happens when charging the car, whether to 80% or 100%.

I understand it does charge or by better definition "maintain" the 12v aux battery when ever the main contractors are closed, but it seems it doesn't charge it full. I am just trying to wrap my head around at what point the car does choose to charge the 12v aux battery to a "full" level. I guess without data logging the 12v aux battery we won't know for sure.

Back