2013 July Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 1864 ; Volt 1788

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... and 58 smart Ed's in July ... added a $2K incentive recently as well

http://insideevs.com/july-2013-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/

smart-ed-black-rear.jpg

Zythryn said:
KJD said:
Statik said:
spark ev - 103

Wow another GM faceplant. OUCH !!!!

I don't know that I would say that. Wasn't this the first month of availability, in limited locations?
Not saying it will sell well. I am just suggesting it is wayyyyyy to early to call it a failure.
Second month. Sold 27 last month.
I think they only intend to ever sell in limited locations. Looks like a compliance car only.

I came out pretty close on the Spark estimate, 110 est vs 103 actual.

I'm surprised the Leaf sold so few. With inventory dropping fast, it looks like the factory is closed, or drastically slowed down production or diverted production elsewhere.

GRA said:
Edit: The dealer twelve miles from me has five Spark EVs (one 1LT, the rest 2LTs), another dealer 14 miles away has four (also just one 1LT).
Will they ever have more ?

With compliance cars - this is the basic question. Since there will be little marketing support, inventory will be low - the sales will be low. Irrespective of how good the car is.

This is the reason I'm so disappointed with compliance cars - not because of the vehicles themselves - but because OEM shows the intent is to sell just a few.

I came out pretty close on the Spark estimate, 110 est vs 103 actual.

I'm surprised the Leaf sold so few. With inventory dropping fast, it looks like the factory is closed, or drastically slowed down production or diverted production elsewhere.[/quote]

Yeah, I guessed 1784 Volts on page 1 and they sold 1788.

Ian B

If 700 is an accurate number for Tesla, that can't be good and could the waiting in line time frame may be very short to a week plus time to build the car??

Ian B

MrIanB said:
If 700 is an accurate number for Tesla, that can't be good and could the waiting in line time frame may be very short to a week plus time to build the car??

Ian B
Tesla has said they're diverting cars to Europe now, so it shouldn't be a surprise to sell fewer in the US.

dm33 said:
MrIanB said:

Ian B
Tesla has said they're diverting cars to Europe now, so it shouldn't be a surprise to sell fewer in the US.

If that is the case, shouldn't they give overall world wide sales numbers for the month or do they want/need to keep them separate?? Just wondering, a sale is a sale no matter where.

Ian B

MrIanB said:
dm33 said:
MrIanB said:

Ian B

If that is the case, shouldn't they give overall world wide sales numbers for the month or do they want/need to keep them separate?? Just wondering, a sale is a sale no matter where.

Ian B
Telsa isn't providing any numbers at all. Not sure where insideevs got a number from. They're reporting earnings next week and should give a count to date.

evnow said:
This is the reason I'm so disappointed with compliance cars - not because of the vehicles themselves - but because OEM shows the intent is to sell just a few.
I'm not being a smart-alec here ... don't you think all the R&D they are doing for these low volume cars ends up being used for their future cars. Look at BMW and the e-mini, e-active and now the i3 (and i8). iMiev and the e-Outlander. Don't you think that knowledge and IP from the Spark EV is going to make it into their other cars. There are other examples not that hard to think about too. Lot of R&D money and knowledge and I think it will come to fruition within the next decade.

I wouldn't be surprised if sales are down from last month due to http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/cec/cec_program_overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

As I posted elsewhere, I asked my dealer about http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/cec/cec_program_overview and they said they will try applying for me when the window opens up next month. It sounds like they have a waiting list already. The dealer claimed that the web site has some incorrect info that they and Nissan are trying to get fixed. They claim it's pissing off Nissan as it's screwing up their sales (i.e. people holding off on buying/leasing until the allotment is >0).

smkettner said:
How many days inventory is LEAF at?
Or any others?
As mentioned in this thread, there's something wrong with the LEAFs supply. EIther the factory has shut down, or output is greatly reduced due to a problem, or they're diverting cars somewhere else.

Previous month they sold 2225 yet this month inventory initially went up then dropped by 500. Current inventory is at 2142 which is less than 1 month's inventory at June's rate but over a month at July's rate. In either case, its too little inventory.

During the last two weeks I've been tracking inventory, the LEAF's inventory hit a high of 2469 on July 20th and has since dropped to 2142 tonight. A drop of 327 while presumably resupplying dealers.

In comparison, the Volt factory has been shut down all of July. Its inventory since July 17th has dropped from 7665 to 6981, a reduction of 684 with no resupply to dealers.

Given the LEAFs slow sales rate close to the Volt's, that implies that production has stalled to roughly half of what it had been earlier.

I wonder if there's a production problem going on, or changeover at the factory causing the slowdown. Anyone work there care to share?

I wouldn't think an EVSE program would materially affect LEAF sales. The slow sales seems to clearly be lack of inventory.

I don't see that having any material affect on sales... It simply is not that big a deal in the overall scheme of things. I believe that the issue is much bigger than that...

cwerdna said:
I wouldn't be surprised if sales are down from last month due to http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/cec/cec_program_overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Maybe a new battery or battery system will be out in a couple years and Nissan does not want to flood the market with warranty liabilities.
Maybe a short supply prevents the batteries from degrading on the lot while they sit.
Maybe there are more TN production issues than expected.
Along with a hundred other possibilities.

scottf200 said:
I'm not being a smart-alec here ... don't you think all the R&D they are doing for these low volume cars ends up being used for their future cars. Look at BMW and the e-mini, e-active and now the i3 (and i8). iMiev and the e-Outlander. Don't you think that knowledge and IP from the Spark EV is going to make it into their other cars. There are other examples not that hard to think about too. Lot of R&D money and knowledge and I think it will come to fruition within the next decade.
We don't know - only BMW has progressed from a compliance to a full fledged program.

Number 3 gets my vote.

smkettner said:
Maybe a new battery or battery system will be out in a couple years and Nissan does not want to flood the market with warranty liabilities.
Maybe a short supply prevents the batteries from degrading on the lot while they sit.
Maybe there are more TN production issues than expected.
Along with a hundred other possibilities.

smkettner said:
Almost appears Nissan is intentionally limiting the supply.

I think we should consider that the LEAF is almost certainly the least profitable vehicle being produced at Smyrna, and probably actually causes Nissan to incur a financial loss on each sale, if most of the content is in fact still being sourced from Japan.

During the present vehicle sales boom (discussed in detail at the blog below) it may not be surprising that Nissan may have chosen to allocate more of the limited production capacity from Smyrna to it's more profitable models:

Americans love their cars and trucks. And in July, they bought a whole lot of them. Chrysler and Ford each reported their July sales were up 6 percent from a year earlier, while General Motors notched a 12 percent rise, according to Wards Auto. Some foreign automakers notched even stronger gains, including 13 percent for Toyota and 16 percent for Honda.

In fact, the auto market has now completed its long slog back to pre-recession levels. Americans bought cars and trucks at a 15.6 million annual rate in July, a bit below June and about the level of December 2007, when the recession began, and up from a low of 9 million in early 2009.

It is an amazing comeback in many ways. There were more than 16 million vehicles sold each year in the middle of the last decade, and to many of us that looked like the artificial bubble. It was sustained, after all, by rising home prices (which made people feel wealthier, even if the rises were illusory), easy credit (so even people who probably shouldn’t have could get a car loan), and novel mortgage products that made it easy to borrow against a house to buy a car.

But with the economy still weak and unemployment still high, how is it that auto sales have returned to pre-recession levels? ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/08/02/the-auto-industry-is-back-to-pre-recession-levels-but-why/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back