2012 Sep Plugin Sales Discussion : Volt 2,851; Leaf 984

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was predicting 850 for Sept but the lease deals went crazy to the point where it is pretty much a no-brainer for anyone looking for 2nd car. with the newer (and better) lease deal just announced i guess we might see closer to 1200 in Oct

I'm surprised at the continuing low numbers for the Fit. Unless most people buying EVs need 5 passenger space, I don't see the Leaf as being generally superior, so it must be the current low-cost lease deals.

GRA said:
I'm surprised at the continuing low numbers for the Fit. Unless most people buying EVs need 5 passenger space, I don't see the Leaf as being generally superior, so it must be the current low-cost lease deals.
I talked to a few Leafers about it, and the consensus was that Nissan's low-cost leases are hard to beat. Although the Fit is fun to drive, has more robust battery (on paper at least), and a 6.6 kW onboard charger, Honda elected to exclude the CHAdeMO port on their US fleet. It's a smaller car too. That said, I'm still considering it.

gaswalla said:
Weatherman said:
I am a strong EV advocate, but definitely cannot recommend a LEAF or any Nissan product. Let's see how they handle the battery degradation issues and how they market the 2013 LEAF.. but so far, as a LEAF owner, I make a point to show the differences between the Volt/Tesla and LEAF.

Despite the battery issues (especially considering my battery is fine) I still happily advocate the Leaf for those with commutes under 40 miles, especially under 30 miles. But more often than not I advocate the Volt for people who I talk to because around here in Dallas/Ft.Worth the Leaf cannot actually make it to the opposite end of the metroplex and back on a single charge and that is a problem for a lot of people. If we had a more robust charging infrastructure around here, it probably wouldn't matter as much.

I see the Leaf sales numbers returning to the 400-500 range in November/December. Unless of course, Nissan continues to offer incentives on these cars.

Train said:
I see the Leaf sales numbers returning to the 400-500 range in November/December. Unless of course, Nissan continues to offer incentives on these cars.
They have deals on all the other models why not the leaf? Nobody likes to pay sticker price maybe thats been an inhibitor all along.

Absolutely. That's how manufacturers help dealers clear their inventory of the current model year. This happens every September.

Train said:
Absolutely. That's how manufacturers help dealers clear their inventory of the current model year. This happens every September.

this maybe true but there is another story posted here glossing over the 2013 specs and they are fantastic if somewhat unbelievable.

all i can say is that if half the article is true, Nissan has done a great job of hiding the facts from the general public and all to sell a few thousand cars?? strange

surfingslovak said:
GRA said:
I talked to a few Leafers about it, and the consensus was that Nissan's low-cost leases are hard to beat. Although the Fit is fun to drive, has more robust battery (on paper at least), and a 6.6 kW onboard charger, Honda elected to exclude the CHAdeMO port on their US fleet. It's a smaller car too. That said, I'm still considering it.
MrIanB said:
Also, I believe they are available for lease in California only.

Ian B
I think it's probably a combination. I imagine the limited release (Ca. and Or. at the moment; the NE soon) into early-adopter markets that are already saturated, the low-cost leases, plus the lack of QC all play a part.

Statik said:
Statik said:
If anyone is interested, here are some of the other plug-in sales for the month:

http://insideevs.com/september-2012-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Honda Fit EV - 16
Mitsu i-Miev - 36
Fisker - 150 (ish)
Tesla Model S - about 100

List is not quite fully populated as Toyota Prius Plug-In numbers don't get broken down until the conference call later today, and Ford breaks down the Focus numbers tomorrow. (will populate/add those figures as soon as the OEMs publish them)

Update: Toyota Prius PHEV numbers in...1,652 (best result since the Prius' first full month on the market last April- 1,654)

I friggin' hate Ford, so slow getting out the numbers on the Focus Electric...can't just get it all out neat and tidy like, lol. Finally got the info emailed to me earlier today, figured I should complete the info: 59 for September

MrIanB said:
Also, I believe they are available for lease in California only. Talking about the Honda Fit, that is.

Ian B

Right now it is just California and Oregon.

I talked to Robert Langford, who is the Manager, or Director (can't remember) of Honda's Plug-In Something or other, the first week the car was on sale, just to get his vibe on sales, and he told me they only expected to sell around 40 a month once they had rolled it out fully, and they would be satisfied at that.

January-March of next year they are bringing the Fit EV up the east coast, New York, etc.

US car sales for Sept came out to a seasonally adjusted 14.9 Million. Leasing was a leading factor. Of those 1,188,899 were new cars. That come out to 7%!

Here is a full break down of all US Electric New Car Sales in Sept.

Nissan LEAF: 984
Tesla Model S: 150 (estimate)
Toyota RAV4 EV: 61
Ford Focus EV: 59
Mitsubishi i: 36
Honda Fit EV: 16 (lease only)
Honda FCX Clarity: 0
Smart forTwo EV: 0
Coda Sedan: unknown

And finally here is a full break down of all US Hybrid New Car Sales in Sept.

Toyota Prius Liftback: 10,806
Toyota Camry Hybrid: 3,704
Toyota Prius C: 3,386
Toyota Prius V: 3,088
Chevy Volt (Plug-in): 2,851
Chevy Malibu Hybrid: 1.656
Toyota Plug-In Pruis: 1,652
Hyundai Sontata Hybrid: 1,560
Lexus ES Hybrid: 1400
Lexus CT 200h Hybrid: 1,195
Ford C-Max Hybrid : 969
Lexus RX400/450h Hybrid: 944
Kia Optima Hybrid: 902
Ford Fusion Hybrid: 898
Buick LaCrosse Hybrid: 840
Lincoln MKZ Hybrid: 781
Honda Civic Hybrid: 493
Buick Regal Hybrid: 463
Toyota Highlander Hybrid: 413
Honda CR-Z Hybrid: 335
Honda Insight: 246
Fiskar Karma: 150 (estimate)
Acura ILX Hybrid: 140
Lexus GS450h Hybrid: 89
Porsche Panamera S Hybrid: 86
Porsche Cayenne Hybrid: 84
Ford Escape Hybrid: 81
Infiniti M35h Hybrid: 45
Cadillac Escalade Hybrid: 43
GMC Yukon Hybrid: 39
BMW 535ih Hybrid: 28
Chevy Tahoe Hybrid: 28
Audi Q5 Hybrid: 25
Chevy Silverado Hybrid: 21
BMW 335ih Hybrid: 13
Mercedes S400HV Hybrid: 9
Lexus HS 250h Hybrid: 8
GMC Sierra Hybrid: 8
VW Touareg Hybrid Hybrid: 5
Nissan Altima Hybrid: 3
Mercedes ML450 Hybrid: 2
Lexus LS600hL Hybrid: 1
BMX X6 Hybrid: 0
Mazda Tribute Hybrid: 0
BMW Hybrid 7: 0

Leaf sales look pretty good against most of that list of hybrid figures. I was 3 Leafs deep at a stoplight near my house during the morning commute one day last week. Silver, Silver then White (mine).

I'm encouraged by these more robust sales figures. Who cares if they were boosted by good deals, that's how the car business works. This proves that there is a growing demand for BEVs, even if it looks like the plug-ins (Volt and Prius) will rule from now on. As for the Fit and the Focus, they are just "compliance cars" for the Cali mandate. I think these companies need to be called to account for not getting serious about selling electric. I don't care how good your design is, if your dealers think the car is a joke and they can get away with selling one or two a month, you're doing more harm than good for the BEV cause.
JG

Personally, I have stopped recommending the Leaf until more is known about the battery capacity issues and Nissan's response to them. At the very least, I recommend only leasing...

barsad22 said:
I'm encouraged by these more robust sales figures.

barsad22 said:
I'm encouraged by these more robust sales figures. Who cares if they were boosted by good deals, that's how the car business works. This proves that there is a growing demand for BEVs, even if it looks like the plug-ins (Volt and Prius) will rule from now on. As for the Fit and the Focus, they are just "compliance cars" for the Cali mandate. I think these companies need to be called to account for not getting serious about selling electric. I don't care how good your design is, if your dealers think the car is a joke and they can get away with selling one or two a month, you're doing more harm than good for the BEV cause.
JG

agreed. as we all "now" know, there is a indescribable feeling when driving electric that transcends all the normal reasons. One must experience it and that can only happen when the cars hit the road. does not matter if they only get there thru some great pricing deals because that single LEAF will influence at least 10 people and might even influence 100.

barsad22 said:
I'm encouraged by these more robust sales figures. Who cares if they were boosted by good deals, that's how the car business works. This proves that there is a growing demand for BEVs, even if it looks like the plug-ins (Volt and Prius) will rule from now on.

Just wait for Tesla to finish ramping up Model S production. Deliveries should then run about 1500 per month for quite some time.

Statik said:
Statik said:
Statik said:
If anyone is interested, here are some of the other plug-in sales for the month:

http://insideevs.com/september-2012-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Honda Fit EV - 16
Mitsu i-Miev - 36
Fisker - 150 (ish)
Tesla Model S - about 100

List is not quite fully populated as Toyota Prius Plug-In numbers don't get broken down until the conference call later today, and Ford breaks down the Focus numbers tomorrow. (will populate/add those figures as soon as the OEMs publish them)

Update: Toyota Prius PHEV numbers in...1,652 (best result since the Prius' first full month on the market last April- 1,654)

I friggin' hate Ford, so slow getting out the numbers on the Focus Electric...can't just get it all out neat and tidy like, lol. Finally got the info emailed to me earlier today, figured I should complete the info: 59 for September

hate the state you live in for not having the same plug in requirements of CA. start by doing something in your control. get your neighbors to sign a petition giving you equal chance to enjoy the best driving electric has to offer!

Back