15,000 miles later.....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
Using between 60-70% is what does the most damage so if you avoid that 10% you are golden.
LOL
SanDust said:
Different Li-ion batteries have very different shelf lives, but all Li-ion batteries have a cycle life. This means that driving 25,000 miles a year will stress the battery more than going 10,000 miles since you're putting 2.5X more cycles on the battery. The life of all Li-ion batteries are also negatively impacted by high temperatures. Leaf batteries in Arizona or Palm Springs won't last as long as Leaf batteries in San Francisco.
Yes, absolutely. It also depends on how exactly the battery is being cycled. Most spec sheets assume 100% DOD, but it appears that the average Leaf owner is nowhere near that. To put your statement in a different context: what if battery degradation averaged around 0.25% per 10K miles? This would then translate to about 0.65% after 25K miles, which is still hardly detectable. And what if the 10K cycling loss was even smaller?

EVDRIVER said:
I spoke to one of the LEAF engineers at the Google meeting and he said the pack life would be extended 20X if one one stays between 20-60% and 70-80%. Using between 60-70% is what does the most damage so if you avoid that 10% you are golden.

by 20-60% you mean the SOC limits of the batteries, never discharging below 20% or charging above 60% of capacity?.. more detail please.

The Leaf does not let you charge above 4.1V per cell, supposedly that gets you up to 85% of total capacity, apparently it lets you discharge to very low levels, well below the voltage knee so 0% capacity. That looks like Nissan cell management method, allowing a max capacity utilization of 85%, but recommending you dont do that often.

Calendar life of these modern automotive cells wont be an issue, at least 15 years.

Herm said:
EVDRIVER said:
I spoke to one of the LEAF engineers at the Google meeting and he said the pack life would be extended 20X if one one stays between 20-60% and 70-80%. Using between 60-70% is what does the most damage so if you avoid that 10% you are golden.

by 20-60% you mean the SOC limits of the batteries, never discharging below 20% or charging above 60% of capacity?.. more detail please
Be(a)ware of EVDriver's sense of the absurd.

EVDRIVER said:
Perfect! I found that menu option by hooking up my Xbox 360 controller to the USB port and pressing Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A. It's on the same menu as the one where you can extend your range to 200 miles.

7.5 months and just passed 13,500 miles. Always 100% charging, twice a day and no battery degradation I can tell of other than cold temps reducing the capacity by about 8-10 miles (18-23 F in the mornings and 30 - 40 F in the evenings).

DarkStar said:
EVDRIVER said:
Perfect! I found that menu option by hooking up my Xbox 360 controller to the USB port and pressing Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A. It's on the same menu as the one where you can extend your range to 200 miles.

Mind if I borrow your controller? Mine isn't getting me to the screen where I can extend to 200 miles... :lol:

JohnOver said:
Mind if I borrow your controller? Mine isn't getting me to the screen where I can extend to 200 miles... :lol:
I wonder if there is a road someplace where it was just the right downhill profile to get 200 miles.
Have to be a secondary road to keep the speed down. And might have to wait for a perfect day with a tailwind but that would make a great little rally ;)

smkettner said:
I wonder if there is a road someplace where it was just the right downhill profile to get 200 miles.
Have to be a secondary road to keep the speed down. And might have to wait for a perfect day with a tailwind but that would make a great little rally ;)

It is hard to find the just-right slope. Here's one that has altitude,but is too steep at first: Hwy 4 starting out at Bear Valley (7100') then to Mendota (174')... Even that's only 164 miles, and lot's of driving on the "flat" in the central valley. For optimum effect you should start out full and then stay at the high altitudes until you've burned off enough charge to have room in the battery to put the energy recovered during the descent.

Bassman said:
7.5 months and just passed 13,500 miles. Always 100% charging, twice a day and no battery degradation I can tell of other than cold temps reducing the capacity by about 8-10 miles (18-23 F in the mornings and 30 - 40 F in the evenings).

Thats fine but we dont want to hear any whining 4 years from now :)

Back