$1000 Loyalty Program for current Leaf owners

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Do you have to sell/trade in/lease terminate your current Leaf to get the $1000 credit, or can you use the credit on an acquisition of an additional Nissan vehicle, Leaf or otherwise?
no and no
applies to LEAF only.
I worded the question confusing but got my answer by rereading that page
Note: Owners of MY11 or MY12 Nissan LEAFs need not trade in their vehicles. Simply by showing ownership, you or other members of your household/immediate family qualify for $1,000 in bonus cash. So, if you want to hold on to your older LEAF, then that’s fine, too
So I can keep my existing Leaf and apply the $1k bonus cash to a new Armada to round out my garage hybrid.

LTLFTcomposite said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Do you have to sell/trade in/lease terminate your current Leaf to get the $1000 credit, or can you use the credit on an acquisition of an additional Nissan vehicle, Leaf or otherwise?
no and no
applies to LEAF only.
I worded the question confusing but got my answer by rereading that page
Note: Owners of MY11 or MY12 Nissan LEAFs need not trade in their vehicles. Simply by showing ownership, you or other members of your household/immediate family qualify for $1,000 in bonus cash. So, if you want to hold on to your older LEAF, then that’s fine, too
So I can keep my existing Leaf and apply the $1k bonus cash to a new Armada to round out my garage hybrid.

ummm, nooooo u cant.

EricBayArea said:
For those that own their Leaf, don't we need to keep it for 3 years in order not to lose the federal $7,500 credit? I haven't gone through taxes again this year but my guess is they'll ask if I still own it... no? I'm not certain about the California one but I thought I read the former regarding the federal credit.

I was actually trying to research this the other day (because I thought the same thing) and could find no text stating that to be the case. The IRS form and the law that support it only state that it must go into service that year, and that it must not be disqualified from the program (literally if you converted it to a gasoline vehicle... :lol: ). You also can't buy it with the intent of reselling it (i.e. this prevents people from buying them off the lot and selling them brand-new for $5K off and making $2500). The only references I saw to the 3-year thing on Google was some old posts from the 2006-2007 time frame when there was the tax credit on hybrids, and people thinking that it might be the case then.

Now I'm wondering what I could actually get for my '12 on a trade-in for a '13... :cool:

So I can trade in my 2 week old (leased) 2012 for payoff and make $700 since I am only in for $300 first payment? Sweet. Best car ever!

EricBayArea said:
For those that own their Leaf, don't we need to keep it for 3 years in order not to lose the federal $7,500 credit? I haven't gone through taxes again this year but my guess is they'll ask if I still own it... no? I'm not certain about the California one but I thought I read the former regarding the federal credit.

I thought that federal credit didn't have any obligations in terms of length of ownership. California CVRP rebate had/has a requirement you keep your car for 36 months iirc, if you sell before that you will need to pay back a pro-rated amount.

You get the $1000 for purchasing or leasing another New Nissan. Does not have to be a Leaf. Expires 12/31/2014. I don't think there is anything you can't combine it with, I promise you I will use this one.

~Leon~

evnow said:
Here is the loyalty program we were waiting for. $1,000 towards the purchase of a Nissan vehicle for current MY '11 & '12 Leaf owners. Can be combined with VPP.
I am planning to lease my second Nissan Leaf in the next month or two. I have a lease on a 2012 now. Any ideas on how I might get a hold of one of these $1000 vouchers? I have received nothing in the mail.

Thanks!

ronwright38 said:
I got the $1,000.00 Loyalty and $7,500.00 taking off the lease. :)
Ronwright38, did you get a voucher in the mail? Or did you just provide the dealer with he VIN number?

Did you tell the dealer up front or at the end so they couldn't work it into the deal.

Corina1231 said:
ronwright38 said:
Ronwright38, did you get a voucher in the mail? Or did you just provide the dealer with he VIN number?

Here is the official response I got from Nissan on the subject:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Nissan North America, Inc. and allowing us the opportunity to be of assistance.

After investigating, I am unable to locate said coupon for bonus cash. I was advised that simply by showing ownership of an 11 or 12 LEAF, you or other members of your household/immediate family qualify for $1,000 in bonus cash - as long as you meet these requirements:
-Offer valid on the purchase or lease of any new Nissan vehicle (excludes Infiniti)
-Offer is transferable to members of the household/immediate family
-Offer may be combined with any/all other offers available at the time of purchase
-Offer is limited to one transaction (one lease or one retail sale)
-Customer must provide their MY11 or MY12 Nissan LEAF VIN

I would advise printing this email and handing it to your dealer, if the dealer still insists on a coupon.

Corina1231 said:
ronwright38 said:

Did you tell the dealer up front or at the end so they couldn't work it into the deal.

My local dealer built in the VPP discount without being prompted. So the deal didn't pan out for me. They simply offered me $1,000 less for my trade assuming 'fair' condition, when the car is clearly better than 'fair'. The suggested I sell my 2011 privately because 'nobody wants' secondhand LEAF's.

I imagine once the surge of 2013 sales is over more deals will be available.

JPWhite said:
Corina1231 said:
ronwright38 said:

My local dealer built in the VPP discount without being prompted. So the deal didn't pan out for me. They simply offered me $1,000 less for my trade assuming 'fair' condition, when the car is clearly better than 'fair'. The suggested I sell my 2011 privately because 'nobody wants' secondhand LEAF's.

I imagine once the surge of 2013 sales is over more deals will be available.
Thank JP, but I am really interested in the customer loyalty $1000, not the VPP. I know a lot of buyers who don't qualify for VPP have gotten VPP like lease deals.

Here is my concern. I worked as a new car sales manager 20 years ago b4 getting my MBA and changing industries. I don't trust dealers to give me the full value of the $1000, especially if I have to tell them up front. When they work it into the deal the customer never sees the real discount necessarily. Ideally, I want to make my best deal then plop down a $1000 voucher. I'm sure you understand what I mean, based on our experience.

I would really like it if the dealer was unaware of the $1000 and I simply mailed my contract to Nissan motor Corp and they sent me the $1000.

I worked in the industry and know that the dealer wants to make as much $ off every buyer as possible. They aren't looking out 4 me. They view these discounts as their chance to make more $ off you and me.

Corina1231 said:
Here is my concern. I worked as a new car sales manager 20 years ago b4 getting my MBA and changing industries. I don't trust dealers to give me the full value of the $1000, especially if I have to tell them up front. When they work it into the deal the customer never sees the real discount necessarily. Ideally, I want to make my best deal then plop down a $1000 voucher. I'm sure you understand what I mean. I'd really like it I'd the dealer was unaware of the $1000 and I simply mailed my contract to Nissan motor Corp and they sent me the $1000.

Agree. I'd get the dealer to provide their best bid (lease or purchase), have them draft the paperwork, and then say "oh, by the way, I qualify for the LEAF loyalty cash back. Here's my VIN - please add that as an additional down payment." You don't need a voucher, you just need your qualifying VIN.

In theory, this should be automatic for them - they plugged in the stuff into the NMAC calculator (it has to be through NMAC to get the credit) and now they just add the extra discount. But I'd be watchful that in the process they didn't change other terms of the deal in their favor.

When I called NMAC to find out how I can terminate the Lease, I was told that Nissan would offer two things towards the purchase or lease of my next vehicle:

- discount 3 months lease payment off, which in my case is $450 * 3 = $1350
- take out the lease disposition fee, which in my case is $350.

So all that comes to $1700 off my next lease. But it only makes sense to me to wait for another atleast 7 more months and continue to drive my 2011, since I have another 11 more months to end my lease.

cgaydos said:
Corina1231 said:
Here is my concern. I worked as a new car sales manager 20 years ago b4 getting my MBA and changing industries. I don't trust dealers to give me the full value of the $1000, especially if I have to tell them up front. When they work it into the deal the customer never sees the real discount necessarily. Ideally, I want to make my best deal then plop down a $1000 voucher. I'm sure you understand what I mean. I'd really like it I'd the dealer was unaware of the $1000 and I simply mailed my contract to Nissan motor Corp and they sent me the $1000.

Agree. I'd get the dealer to provide their best bid (lease or purchase), have them draft the paperwork, and then say "oh, by the way, I qualify for the LEAF loyalty cash back. Here's my VIN - please add that as an additional down payment." You don't need a voucher, you just need your qualifying VIN.

In theory, this should be automatic for them - they plugged in the stuff into the NMAC calculator (it has to be through NMAC to get the credit) and now they just add the extra discount. But I'd be watchful that in the process they didn't change other terms of the deal in their favor.
You hit it right on the head, my fellow skeptic. That sounds like the best plan. I'm just wondering if they will then try to wiggle out of or change the deal since they didn't get their cut, so to speak. Like you said, all the numbers should initially stay the same and $1000 is simply added to the original down payment number (which also includes the Fed $7500). Then the only numbers that should go down are the monthly payment number and the total of payments number, all of which should reflect the $1000 savings, plus a few dollars extra that we won't pay interest on.

I wonder if we then pay additional tax on the $1000 just as we are taxed on the $7500 fed rebate? Not that I care so much, but I need to know how any other numbers will change because like you said you can't trust the dealer not to juggle some other numbers to get a cut of the $1000 somewhere.

I would love to see someone's paperwork breakdown who has successfully recovered the $1000 without getting bumped up elsewhere.

Corina1231 said:
I would love to see someone's paperwork breakdown who has successfully recovered the $1000 without getting bumped up elsewhere.

We're working that out on our Leaf '13 lease right now. It's VPP+loyalty, so it just shows $8500 lease cash total.

iluvmacs said:
Corina1231 said:

We're working that out on our Leaf '13 lease right now. It's VPP+loyalty, so it just shows $8500 lease cash total.
Iluvmacs, Good luck to you! Are you looking at an SL? I'll be curious to see how your numbers match up to Evnow's chart on p. 20 and 21 of the companion lease thread. Have you seen Evnow's VPP breakdown showing current VPP prices + loyalty on all the Leaf models on the other thread?

I will be shopping for my second SL (I have a 2012 now that I got on closeout last October) in June and will be wanting Evnow's VPP + loyalty deal per the Nissan chart.

Corina1231 said:
iluvmacs said:
Corina1231 said:

Iluvmacs, Good luck to you! Are you looking at an SL? I'll be curious to see how your numbers match up to Evnow's chart on p. 20 and 21 of the companion lease thread. Have you seen Evnow's VPP breakdown showing current VPP prices + loyalty on all the Leaf models on the other thread?

I will be shopping for my second SL (I have a 2012 now that I got on closeout last October) in June and will be wanting Evnow's VPP + loyalty deal per the Nissan chart.

We're getting an SV+LED+Premium. My wife and I both can't stand leather seats, so the SL is out of the question. Too bad, because I really love those new wheels! Our terms worked out to $710 down and $238/month for 24 months. Inclusive of a few accessories, tax, registration, etc.

Back