100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N1ghtrider said:
Another 200 KM charge for N1ghtrider (202.9 on 6.1 avg m/kWh). Temp 65-75F. L.B. at 98.1 mi.; V.L.B. at 114.3. Turtle at 126.
N1ghtrider, congrats on another successful 200km conquest! Would you mind listing your firmware version? I've referenced the steps needed to bring it up on your center console below. Note that you will have to push the buttons with the right sense of timing, it took me a little while until I got the hang out of it. Much appreciated!
Code:
In order to obtain your releases data:

Power on the vehicle
Power off the audio
Press the MAP button 3x
Press the Audio Power button 2x
Press the MAP button 1x
Select Confirmation/Adjustment
Select Version/Information

I finally got the button-pushing pace right (after about 8 or 10 tries), but I am not sure that I found the right data. The only reference to "firmware version" is the Bluetooth firmware. Is that what you are looking for? :? That is C237.

I wrote down some of the other numbers that might be relevant, even though they did not expressly reference "firmware." One is the "Record Data Version," which is 00001032.

Let me know if I need to go back and look again.

N1ghtrider said:
The only reference to "firmware version" is the Bluetooth firmware. Is that what you are looking for? :? That is C237.
N1ghtrider, if you could note the Front Display Software, the TCU Software and Part Number, that would be very helpful. If it's any easier, I'd just take a picture and post it. Those values should help us determine if your car already has Nissan's recall firmware with DTE gauge and other changes. Unfortunately, this page does not contain everything, but it should be good enough to guide us along. Please have a look at this thread as well. Thank you for doing this.

2012-02-17202052061.jpg

2012-02-17202051481-1.jpg

N1ghtrider, thank you, very helpful data. It appears that your Leaf has the very latest software. I'd hazard a guess that you have not been asked by Nissan to bring your car to the nearest dealer for the recall? There is no consensus yet about all the changes Nissan has recently implemented, but the low battery warning, which seemed to come up earlier than anticipated, could be related to this firmware version.

Herm said:
I think that is just the software used in the radio and navi
Indeed. Herm, I have a reason to believe that Roy had the latest VCM, TCU and the A/V control unit software. This is just another indicator. Let's wait to see if he received any recall notification.

No recall notice. I was meeting with a couple of our other Leaf owners at a car show yesterday in Fort Lauderdale (where we attracted some attention amid the hot rods and ancient classics), when they asked if I had taken my car in for the "update" yet. I told them that I did not know anything about it. I think that--evenif I missed an email notice--I would have heard from the salesman I dealt with if there was one directed to me, as we speak often about the Leaf.

TNLeaf, That 135 miles is very impressive.. The main reason i say that is ,it looks like your battery temp is @ the 4th lvl ,which means it was very cold outside and a loss of about 10% charge..
It will be intersting to see what you do this summer..

mark13 said:
TNLeaf, That 135 miles is very impressive.. The main reason i say that is ,it looks like your battery temp is @ the 4th lvl ,which means it was very cold outside and a loss of about 10% charge..
It will be intersting to see what you do this summer..

Thanks. I should have recorded the temperatures more, but the day I charged the battery it was mid-60s, and most of the days stayed above 50s. Most driving was done in the 50-60s. The last day/morning of driving, the temperatures started to drop. The pictures were taken in the high 40s. (4th temp bar).

Until we get more consistently warm weather here, I won't be seeing 130+ miles again. This past week was in the 50s and 60s again, which I had driven 60 miles with 6-6.3 mpkWh, however, yesterday and today's temperature started dropping again... snowing as I type this. So use of the heater/defroster is mandatory for driving, meaning no more 6's economy. That's TN weather for ya!

Nothing to write home about, but this 102 miles on a single charge was somewhat unusual for me due to the fact that almost half of those miles were on the interstate and a lot was with climate control, due to the record high temps in Miami last week (highs of 87 and 88F most of the week).

I hit low batt warning at 92.3. Carwings shows 5.8m/kWh for this charge.

102milesonsinglecharge.jpg

Tony, how can we explain only a dozen of us reporting actually achieving over 100 miles on a charge? :?: How many members of the forum are there? Is it a matter of people not knowing how to maximize mileage; not caring; or what?

N1ghtrider said:
Tony, how can we explain only a dozen of us reporting actually achieving over 100 miles on a charge? :?: How many members of the forum are there? Is it a matter of people not knowing how to maximize mileage; not caring; or what?

From the responses I've heard, most people haven't adjusted their driving habits (jack-rabbit starts, driving over the speed limits, heavy-breaking vs coasting/regen to stops).

Another thing that I've heard is most people drive on the interstates for most of their commutes. While I've been able to stay above 4-4.5 at interstate speeds (ie, NOT going 70+mph), I think it again boils down to people not adjusting their driving habits.

My commutes on the interstate are short enough to where I could drive 80-90mph, like most of the law-breaking population, and I would still have enough charge left, but I've chosen not to because 1) it's more dangerous at those speeds 2)Tickets are no fun and 3) it's WAY too easy to see the wasted charge/money when driving 70+ mph compared to 60. I feel like if someone in their 20s (me) has the self control not to speed (and I DO have a lead foot, trust me), then the more mature crowd should be able to as well. /shrug

Those are just my thoughts. The main point being people not willing to adjust their driving habits.

I can only speak for me, but I don't see the point. My regular driving has only passed 50 miles in a day once or twice in February. Though I drive carefully, I'd rather not have to think about how to get to 100 miles, preferring instead to auto-charge to 80% and just not worry about it.

All of you have proved it can be done if I cared to -- that's good enough for me.

N1ghtrider said:

copdoc said:
I can only speak for me, but I don't see the point. My regular driving has only passed 50 miles in a day once or twice in February. Though I drive carefully, I'd rather not have to think about how to get to 100 miles, preferring instead to auto-charge to 80% and just not worry about it.

All of you have proved it can be done if I cared to -- that's good enough for me.

N1ghtrider said:

All it takes to get 100 Miles on a charge is a little self control and forethought. Every Leaf owner should do it at least once to overcome the fear of Range Anxiety! Running on Empty" is an uncomfortable situation and the desire to recharge while you still a few bars left is strong. I agree it is not necessary or possible to get 100 Miles every time. We are not talking about attempting a death defying thrill seeking activity. We are taking about driving the car until it can go no further!

N1ghtrider said:

My whole point to starting the thread was that few people will actually drive the 100 miles Nissan claims. You don't see 100 miles in their advertisements much any more. I doubt many in Japan are driving the 200km that is claimed there, either (about 125 miles).

Secondly, the GuessOmeter will routinely echo the 100 mile game, when the overwhelming majority of the time, the car will not even come close to 100 miles.

With careful driving, in a warm, flat place like Florida, 100 miles is more likely than here in San Diego, where it's not flat anywhere, and cooler mornings are quite frequent. Obviously, folks in mountainous, really cold spots in the western USA and Canada, or Norway or even northern Japan... much of the year, it would be impossible for an untrained, normal driver to get close to 100 miles.

For this car, the LEAF, to flow and keep up with normal California traffic... no way is 100 miles possible.

TonyWilliams said:
N1ghtrider said:

My whole point to starting the thread was that few people will actually drive the 100 miles Nissan claims. You don't see 100 miles in their advertisements much any more. I doubt many in Japan are driving the 200km that is claimed there, either (about 125 miles).

Secondly, the GuessOmeter will routinely echo the 100 mile game, when the overwhelming majority of the time, the car will not even come close to 100 miles.

With careful driving, in a warm, flat place like Florida, 100 miles is more likely than here in San Diego, where it's not flat anywhere, and cooler mornings are quite frequent. Obviously, folks in mountainous, really cold spots in the western USA and Canada, or Norway or even northern Japan... much of the year, it would be impossible for an untrained, normal driver to get close to 100 miles.

For this car, the LEAF, to flow and keep up with normal California traffic... no way is 100 miles possible.
You started this thread by asking if it can be done and I for one have risen to the challenge!

Are you really certain no one in San Diego has ever attained 100 miles/charge?
Nissan is very clear (at least on their US website) the 100 miles/charge is based upon the US EPA LA4 City cycle. Advertising claims aside, car dealers will promise just about anything to get you to sign on the dotted line. They love to talk about how great the gas mileage is even when the car is a gas guzzler! :lol:

The Nissan Leaf website actually details all the LA4 cycles http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/tags/show/range#/leaf-electric-car/theBasicsRange/index

Ideal driving conditions: 138 miles
Speed: Constant 38 mph
Temperature: 68 degrees
Climate control: Off

Suburban driving on a nice day: 105 miles

Speed: Average 24 mph
Temperature: 72 degrees
Climate control: Off

Highway driving in the summer: 70 miles

Speed: Average 55 mph
Temperature: 95 degrees
Climate control: On

Cross-town commute on a hot day: 68 miles

Speed: Average 49 mph
Temperature: 110 degrees

Winter, urban stop-and-go, traffic jam: 62 miles

Speed: Average 15 mph
Temperature: 14 degrees

copdoc said:

You Never Know Until You Try

I usually get 60 to 70 miles on a charge and travel between 50 to 70mph. I made it 85 miles on a charge once, never 100 miles. I live in the East Bay Area and going nowhere is flat, anywhere else is up or down.

I could get 100 miles on a single charge, I bet, if I drove on a flat route at speeds below 40 mph for hours wasting time just proving that I could do it. I tried on the freeway a few times to go the distance, but everyone passes so fast, I cause a hazard. No thanks, I'd rather have somewhere to go and get where I am going. In a pinch I'll go for the distance.

Back