Door lock actuators

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjoseph

The ones on both my rear doors have failed. Nissan's prices are $384 & $334 for these. Ouch. My mechanic wants $95/hr for labor.

Anybody know an alternate source for these parts?

After ~5 yrs, this is the rare issue this car has developed. TIA.

That stinks about the door lock actuators. Crazy they are that expensive. Muranos appear to have a lot of issues with them also, and they get similar quotes to replace them. On one of the Nissan forums, there are posts about a company on Ebay who makes $50 kits to replace the actuators. I don't know if any would apply to the Leaf or not. It seems there were a lot of issues with these before Leafs existed, I was hoping there was a solution in place by the time our cars were built, but it sounds like there wasn't.

I've kind of wondered if disabling the door auto lock feature might not be a good idea. I mean every time you get above 15?? MPH the doors automatically lock and unlock to get out. Multiply that by all the times one gets in and out of the vehicle and it seems to me to be a lot of unnecessary locking and unlocking.
Thoughts?

jjeff said:
I've kind of wondered if disabling the door auto lock feature might not be a good idea. I mean every time you get above 15?? MPH the doors automatically lock and unlock to get out. Multiply that by all the times one gets in and out of the vehicle and it seems to me to be a lot of unnecessary locking and unlocking.
Thoughts?
Good point, I will be checking to see if the extended warranty I purchased when I bought the car covers those.
Edit: Select plus ( page 4/5) includes items 6-13, item 8; Power Door Lock Actuator & Switch

ElectricEddy said:
Good point, I will be checking to see if the extended warranty I purchased when I bought the car covers those.
Edit: Select plus ( page 4/5) includes items 6-13, item 8; Power Door Lock Actuator & Switch

I would have thought they were covered (I bought an extended warranty when I bought the car); good to know!

I bought my 2012 Leaf certified pre-owned. The previous owner replaced at least one door actuator (I think 2), and now my passenger rear door actuator is out. I'm AMAZED how much they cost. I also found out that the Certified Pre-Owned warranty DOES NOT cover door actuators. What a crock of crap....

Did anyone find out if this feature of autolock unlock is easily disabled? If you have please advise... I am going to see if LEAF SPY Pro takes this on... [EDIT] Yes, LEAF Spy Pro will change these settings... Now to figure that out... :)

JimSouCal said:
Did anyone find out if this feature of autolock unlock is easily disabled? If you have please advise... I am going to see if LEAF SPY Pro takes this on... [EDIT] Yes, LEAF Spy Pro will change these settings... Now to figure that out... :)

In the service manual, DLK-23
All doors are unlocked when the power switch position is changed from ON to OFF.
To change: without consult ( or Leafspy )
1. Close all doors
2. Power switch: OFF to ON
3. Press and hold the door lock and unlock switch for 5 seconds or more in the UNLOCK direction within 20 seconds after turning the power switch position ON.
4. The switching is complete when the hazard lamp blinks.
OFF to ON : 2 blinks
ON to OFF : 1 blink

You can also disable the auto door lock function using the same method, by pushing the door lock and unlock switch in the LOCK direction for the same interval as in step 3 above. :p

It is so nice not having to listen to those actuators engage when shutting off the vehicle or when reaching 24km/h

ElectricEddy said:
JimSouCal said:

In the service manual, DLK-23
All doors are unlocked when the power switch position is changed from ON to OFF.
To change: without consult ( or Leafspy )
1. Close all doors
2. Power switch: OFF to ON
3. Press and hold the door lock and unlock switch for 5 seconds or more in the UNLOCK direction within 20 seconds after turning the power switch position ON.
4. The switching is complete when the hazard lamp blinks.
OFF to ON : 2 blinks
ON to OFF : 1 blink

You can also disable the auto door lock function using the same method, by pushing the door lock and unlock switch in the LOCK direction for the same interval as in step 3 above. :p

It is so nice not having to listen to those actuators engage when shutting off the vehicle or when reaching 24km/h
Thanks for posting, saved me looking it up :)
Note I personally wouldn't want to do the first change(not unlocking the doors when the power button is turned off) but I guess some may. Also note step 2 should really start with depress break pedal as when I tried without doing that, step 3 didn't work. Maybe this was obvious for some but since it didn't say it I figured they didn't want me to put the car in ready mode.
Cool, I've been meaning to do this ever since getting my Leaf(we have very few if any carjacking incidents in my city which is why I believe someone would want the doors to always lock when driving) and after reading of the expense of replacing one of the actuators I hope all the less locking/unlocking operations will extend the life of mine so they'll never have to be replaced in the life of the car.

Back