[SOLVED] How to open rear door with failed lock?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Need some help with a ZE1 LEAF with a rear door lock seeming to have failed when locked. There is 12V to the loom plug in both lock and unlock functions. Shorting 12V to the lock mechanism pins does not work either. Winding resistance seems OK in both coils so it's likely seized/jammed rather than burnt out. The child lock is off, and the outside handle doesn't open the door either.

Anyone have a way to open the door without damaging car or wallet , so the lock assembly can be removed?

[SOLVED] I was able to puncture the case of the latch with a screwdriver and release the catch. Though I'm still disturbed that there's no emergency release.

Try calling a locksmith. They can often open the door from the outside with a "slim jim" type tool, with less damage than someone less familiar with the technique.

QjCDzvL.gif

Nubo said:
Try calling a locksmith. They can often open the door from the outside with a "slim jim" type tool, with less damage than someone less familiar with the technique.

That seems only for old style locks with the push down snipper button/knob. The Leaf deadlocking solenoid is contained in the latch/lock assembly.

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Slim-Jim
Make sure your car doesn’t have electric locks. Trying to use a slim jim on electric or power locks will do nothing but possibly scratch your window and damage the electronics in your car door. There might be other ways to unlock the door, but don’t try using a slim jim.

I've got access to the internals of the door if that helps.

8675309 said:
Nubo said:

That seems only for old style locks with the push down snipper button/knob. The Leaf deadlocking solenoid is contained in the latch/lock assembly.

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Slim-Jim
Make sure your car doesn’t have electric locks. Trying to use a slim jim on electric or power locks will do nothing but possibly scratch your window and damage the electronics in your car door. There might be other ways to unlock the door, but don’t try using a slim jim.

I've got access to the internals of the door if that helps.

Yeah, ok I'm not a locksmith. My point is THEY know what they are doing and if you're unsure on how to get into the car, they are likely your best bet at doing so with minimal damage.

Back