Next San Diego EVent: Sat, Aug 9, 2014, CANCELLED

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
drees said:
Tony, anyone else showing up for the meeting - say Blink rep, site owner, etc as you've been able to coordinate in the past?

Both are attending (Andy from Blink, and Randy from the management company).
Andy from Blink/Ecotality will be there and I think Tony means Randy Walsh from Meissner Jacquét Investment Management Services Inc., the owner of that whole corner of the intersection (excluding the Dudley's Bakery property, I believe). They bankrolled the installation of all of those units and I believe they're also responsible for the three L-2's in Ramona!

With all of the challenges and the other unfulfilled promises of infrastructure from all parties involved in this bold venture, I think we all owe Randy Walsh a HUGE debt of gratitude! I'm at least buying HIS lunch! :p

It was a little cool up in the San Diego mountains this morning, but we all survived the 50 degree temperatures with about a dozen LEAFs, two Volts, and one Rav4.

088D946E-EA17-4EBB-A36C-2C5783327B5E-9670-000004EE34139875.jpg

B53210F3-C0DE-4A1E-9519-150EA198BE05-9670-000004EDF1FF5B2D.jpg

Great meeting and turnout at the first public DCQC in San Diego county!

Only significant issue was that the Blink QC was not letting one queue up to charge if another car was already charging. If one car was already charging and another tried to queue up their session, the screen would either indicate an error or simply dump you back to the welcome screen. Waiting until the other car was finished charging solves the issue, but not before 2 cars had their 12v battery disconnected in an attempt to "fix" things.

Other minor issues - music blasting from the DCQC is highly annoying (this will be turned down) - the video playing in the LCD is stretched horizontally / letterboxed - and of course the $1/hour fee charging on L2 no matter how small of a fraction of an hour one used. The free DCQC more than made up for the $1/hour L2 charge for those that used it, though! I brought this up with Andy of Ecotality and he said he'd pass it along. He said that they are working on a "grace period", but don't appear to be working towards smaller incremental charges. Most agreed that even if there was a $1 minimum (there are credit card fees that Ecotality will get hit with), even 30 minute charge increments would be a big improvement, but consensus seemed to be 15 minute charge increments or lower would eliminate any angst. If you feel strongly about this, make sure you pass your feedback on to Ecotality when any surveys come through or through customer support.

The combination of the DCQC and 3 L2 stations easily charged up all 10 LEAFs from near empty to as full as needed to make their next destination. Even the 2 Volts got a bit of juice along with Tony's RAV4-EV. Those that needed a 100% charge moved to L2 to finish up once the bulk charge was finished on the DC QC. For sure the charging infrastructure got a workout!

A chargers are well positioned, each L2 station can reach 3 parking spots, though some felt that the stations would be better positioned on the other side of the lot closer to the road and away from "prime" parking. This would also make charging cars more visible from the road.

After brunch a number of people hit up Julian Pie Co for some delicious pies (warning, do not step in there unless you plan on buying something - the smell will convince you to buy at least one slice of pie before you leave!), some went on to sight-see around Julian and a few others with a 100% charge went on to San Juan Capistrano for that launch event.

As far as energy use on the way up/down from Santa Ysabel:

My trip was 48.5 mi each way - I drove with the flow of traffic on the way up at posted speed limits, no HVAC with an eye towards efficiency. Got there with 2 bars and 13 mi on the GOM and efficiency 3.6 mi/kWh (though after my 12v battery terminal was pulled in attempt to get the car to queue up on the DCQC the car hit LBW and said 6 mi - weird - emails from CARWINGs confirm this). Taking the exact same route home starting with 9 bars (the 10th bar after QC went away after a power cycle) got me home with 5 bars remaining and 6.9 mi/kWh. According to the Blink website I charged 2.73 kWh on L2 (did this while we figured out the DCQC queuing issues) and 10.56 kWh on QC.

PS - Thank you to Tony for letting me test drive your RAV4-EV and Johnathan for letting me test drive your Volt!

20121117110540.jpg

20121117110630.jpg

I had a great time attending my second get together meeting, and I always learn a lot of news and more. Thanks for sharing all of you. It was a pleasure. And thanks again to Tony for getting it all together. I loved the drive to the location and look forward to using the DC charger on other outings and supporting the stores there and in Julian in the process.

I personally found it quite pleasurable watching the DC fast charger's smaller information LCD register the progressing charge level. Compared to normal charging speeds, it was like watching a standard gas tank filling up. In my mind, I could almost hear a ding like really old dial gas pumps used to make each time a percentage point was added to my Leaf's battery level (which happened every few seconds! Ding - 88%, Ding - 89%, Ding - 90%) It suddenly felt like our current EV battery technology became much more comparable to the convenience of just filling a gas tank. The EV for everyone dream became more real for me today.

Scott (zikkut)

The Blink folks need your help getting a permit for a perfectly positioned DC charger in Oceanside.

I'd like to get as many folks who can to meet us at:

Joint City Council/CDC/Harbor/OPFA Regular Meeting
Mayor & City Council - General Meetings

330 North Coast Highway, Oceanside, California 92054

2pm Closed Session
4pm Open Session
5pm Public Hearing time

Date: 12/19/2012
Time: 2:00 PM - 10:00 PM

It's now on my calendar Tony, and I will be there at the open Oceanside City Council meeting hours (4 and 5pm) unless some emergency comes up.

Thanks for passing the Blink support need along!

I'd like to get a small group of every currently available street legal EV for a short TV spot in San Diego.

When: Feb 3, 2013 @ 7am

Where: KUSI studio (TV channels 9 and 51)
4575 Viewridge Ave
San Diego, CA 92123

Arrive at the KUSI by 7 AM. If you have vehicle(s) on trailers, please park the trailers on the street (Viewridge) and drive the cars into the parking lot.

The gate should be open on the east side of the building (the side the sun is coming up on), and the staging area is the patio in the southeast corner of the studio.

If you're interested and can do it, let me know. We'll have breakfast after at a nearby restaurant from 8:30am - 10am. There are two L2 chargers within walking distance.

DO NOT GO TO HAMBURGER FACTORY IN POWAY!!!! This event is in San Diego, near the 15 freeway and Balboa Ave.

Breakfast will likely be at the Studio Diner, 8:30am to 10am.

http://www.studiodiner.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Decorated with “behind-the-scenes” movie-making equipment and serving comfort food with an upscale vibe, Studio Diner is fun for the senses.
Zagat: 22 / 30 - 84 Google reviews

4701 Ruffin Road San Diego, CA 92123

(858) 715-6400

Tony

saintyohann said:
I have a Volt and can do it.

Perfect, thanks. Waiting for the producers to give me a hard date and time. I was on a spot this Saturday with an electric dune buggy and pitched the idea for an average car the folks can buy now, but it happens to be electric.

How many LEAF's do you think is too many? I would come to the Hamburger Factory but don't want to be one of many Red LEAF's if not needed.

EV2E said:
How many LEAF's do you think is too many? I would come to the Hamburger Factory but don't want to be one of many Red LEAF's if not needed.

The TV host claims we can get 40 cars in there!!!

DO NOT GO TO HAMBURGER FACTORY!!!! This event is in San Diego, near the 15 freeway and Balboa Ave, 7:30am - 8:30am.

Decorated with “behind-the-scenes” movie-making equipment and serving comfort food with an upscale vibe, Studio Diner is fun for the senses.

(858) 715-6400

Confirmed:

The conversation starts here

I'd like to get a small group of every currently available street legal EV for a short TV spot in San Diego.

When: Feb 3, 2013 @ 7am

Where: KUSI studio (TV channels 9 and 51)
4575 Viewridge Ave
San Diego, CA 92123

If you're interested and can do it, let me know. We'll have breakfast after at a nearby restaurant from 8:30am - 10am. There are two L2 chargers within walking distance.

DO NOT GO TO HAMBURGER FACTORY IN POWAY!!!! This event is in San Diego, near the 15 freeway and Balboa Ave.

(858) 715-6400

Tony

Arrive at the KUSI by 7 AM. If you have vehicle(s) on trailers, please park the trailers on the street (Viewridge) and drive the cars into the parking lot.

The gate should be open on the east side of the building (the side the sun is coming up on), and the staging area is the patio in the southeast corner of the studio.

I would like some video to include in the piece. My first idea was a Model S out accelerating (fill in the blank with any current premium car). Easy to make.

I'm confident that both Tesla and Nissan can provide some stock footage.

Less than a week to go. If you don't wish to wake up early enough to join us for the TV spot, please join us at 8:30am at the Studio Diner for breakfast.

Besides, how many chances are you going to have to see a pink Tesla?

Since I got a call thinking this was last week, the TV spot and breakfast is this Sunday, 7am. Live at 7:40am

Breakfast at Studio Diner at 8:30am is welcome to every EV driver or interested party!

Reservation is under my name.

Tony

Feb 3, 2013 gathering at Studio Diner. We had about 14 people total, with:

4- Nissan LEAFs
1- Smart ED
1- Toyota Rav4 EV
1- Honda Fit EV
1- Chevrolet Volt
1- Tesla Models S-85P

725250E5-196B-480D-9161-2E1B88BF0B99-21924-000010223B4559AC.jpg

Pink Tesla Model S getting checked out at the Diner:

94C4998A-E632-4072-B19C-5568B82428AF-21924-0000102243739234.jpg