100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"N1ghtrider"-

The reason I found your CW results interesting is that your driving/charging/climate conditions contrast so strongly with my own. You drove in level city traffic, I drive at almost all higher speed on open roads, with frequent large ascents/descents.

"N1ghtrider"-...Yes, I always wait until the battery level is very low and then recharge to 100%. It was 65 to 75 degrees F during most of last week...

Temperatures here were 25 to 55 degrees most of last week, here in far-North California. I usually charge to 80%, during the coldest part of the night (PG&E off-peak rate) and on all my long range tests so far, I have also topped off a "cold" battery, previously charged to 80%.

So while your CW reported kWh use indicated about 22 (?) kWh available to "stop", my numbers were about 20.4 kWh under mid-60 degree F ambient temperatures, and 19.4 for a top-off done in the mid-30 degree range. Both my available charge estimates also have a greater uncertainty, as I finished driving with higher SOCs, and had to extrapolate further to "stop".

I plan to try a long (to heat the battery) 100% charge at higher ambient temperatures as soon as weather permits, and sometime in May or June, I may be able to try a charge at over 100 F, and, perhaps, even exceed your 22 kWh?

"N1ghtrider"-...My good regen levels...

I don't think high or low regen levels themselves can be considered good or bad unless the type of driving is taken into account. It is always preferable to use regen rather than friction brakes to slow your car, but it is also preferable to avoid regen whenever possible, as those kWh cycled through regen are reduced by an (unknown) efficiency loss.

In traffic, you have to decelerate frequently, and so higher regen is unavoidable. What your high levels of regen, coincident with record range, do seem to indicate, is that LEAF regen may be more efficient than most have guessed, and possibly also, that available battery charge is quite variable, due to temperature, and/or other factors.

Of course, much of what is above is dependent on CW being consistent between vehicles, which is unproven, at this point. So I hope others will continue to post their observations. I wonder if newer cars, like yours, could even have another CW update, which Nissan hasn't deigned to announce.

Please post your odometer/CW miles driven accuracy test results, when you get them.

I have driven over 1500 miles since I got my car on Dec 15 and stopped paying much attention to my "miles per charge" after about a week. As long as I know I have enough to get where I am going (and back) I am fine. Encouraged by what I have read on this thread I decided to see how far I could go on a single charge. I realized I could make it to work and back 4 times without charging. So I charged to 100% on Tuesday and by Friday I was at 96 miles when I got home. A short trip to the grocery store got me over the 100 mile mark. The SOC was still flashing 5 miles but that was a far as I wanted to take it this time. Always drove in Eco mode. My average top speed was 45 mph or 60 mph (depending on the route). I did not run the AC but I did have the vent fan running. Outside temp in the mid 70's. CarWings showed an Average Energy Economy of 5.6 m/Kwh.

Driving an EV to maximum efficiency is not my goal in life but I did enjoy it. Next time I would like to see if I can hit 100 miles driving in D mode.

424820_10150516976111898_690219769_n.jpg

It was a nice day for a drive up to Napa, then the Silverado Trail to Calistoga, returning on hwy 29. Temps began in upper 50's, ended in mid 60's. A bit more 50 and 55 mph travel than I would have liked but didn't want to become a pariah. Winds became favorable on the return. The landmarks in Tony's chart were pretty much spot-on. Low battery warning with 9 miles indicated, but considerable downhill after that. Still showing 4 miles on the Guess-o-meter on arrival. Turned the car back on after a few minutes of sitting and was greeted with Very Low Battery warning. Time for a long drink at 120V. Electrician coming Wed. to size up the 240V install.

img1366qh.jpg

spike09 said:
Outside temp in the mid 70's. CarWings showed an Average Energy Economy of 5.6 m/Kwh.

We don't know if you have the new or old CarWings, which is one of several reasons why I don't reference it. Did you happen to note how many miles past Low Battery Warning and subsequently Very Low Battery?

Welcome to the club.

Nubo said:
It was a nice day for a drive up to Napa, then the Silverado Trail to Calistoga, returning on hwy 29. Temps began in upper 50's, ended in mid 60's. A bit more 50 and 55 mph travel than I would have liked but didn't want to become a pariah. Winds became favorable on the return. The landmarks in Tony's chart were pretty much spot-on. Low battery warning with 9 miles indicated, but considerable downhill after that. Still showing 4 miles on the Guess-o-meter on arrival. Turned the car back on after a few minutes of sitting and was greeted with Very Low Battery warning.

It's looks like you finished your trip at 5.0miles/kWh, and at VLB, you had 5 or 6 miles to go.

Welcome aboard.

TonyWilliams said:
spike09 said:
Outside temp in the mid 70's. CarWings showed an Average Energy Economy of 5.6 m/Kwh.

We don't know if you have the new or old CarWings, which is one of several reasons why I don't reference it. Did you happen to note how many miles past Low Battery Warning and subsequently Very Low Battery?

Welcome to the club.
All I recall is that the Low Battery Warning came when the SOC had 9 miles left and it had 5 mile left when I completed my run.

spike09 said:
Low Battery warning came on around 90 miles. Never went into VLB mode.

I do not know which firmware I am running but I can say that CarWings showed less miles than I actually drove.

So, you drove 10 miles from LBW. Assuming about 5 miles/kWh, you had up to 10 more miles to go.

spike09 said:
I did not run the AC but I did have the vent fan running.

Spike:

Welcome to the club, my friend.

I don't think that there is a way to have "fan only" running. Once you turn on the fan it uses the same amount of power as having the a/c or heater on full blast, from what I can tell.
Roy

spike09 said:
All I recall is that the Low Battery Warning came when the SOC had 9 miles left and it had 5 mile left when I completed my run.

that is not the SOC that said you had 9 miles. its the GOM or guessometer and the reason why its called that is because at 5 miles /kwh, it might say you had 9 miles but its actually closer to double that. that is why its important to check the odometer when you get the warning. i recently did a trip hit first battery warning and it was at a flashing 9 miles as well but at 80.8 . i ended up at 100.1 miles or more than 19 miles after that warning came on

DaveinOlyWA said:
spike09 said:

that is not the SOC that said you had 9 miles. its the GOM or guessometer and the reason why its called that is because at 5 miles /kwh, it might say you had 9 miles but its actually closer to double that. that is why its important to check the odometer when you get the warning. i recently did a trip hit first battery warning and it was at a flashing 9 miles as well but at 80.8 . i ended up at 100.1 miles or more than 19 miles after that warning came on
Thanks. I will now refer to the GOM as the "Driving Range"

TonyWilliams said:
spike09 said:

Welcome to the club.

My CarWings has been missing some trips lately (I've hit ACCEPT on startup everytime), so I haven't taken the figures seriously. (not sure if it bc CW was down last week?)

On my way to documenting a 120+ miles on a 100% charge. (currently sitting at 110 miles and 2 bars, although I'm not sure how much of bar 2 remains) If I plan it right, I can make my trip to work, lunch, work, and back home before turtle, I don't intend to drive loops just to hit the 200km club, but we'll see how I feel about it tomorrow.

Side note; now that its been in the 50-60s all this past week, comparing my range during the 20-30s weather, I can tell a decent difference in efficiency (same routes, same driving style).

Edit -- Didn't drive very much yesterday, however, today I should be able to get into LB and VLBW. I may try to go for 130+ :mrgreen:

spike09 said:
Thanks. I will now refer to the GOM as the "Driving Range"

It's definitely not "driving range", but Nissan officially calls it DTE.

I would suggest to not confuse the matter by not referring to the GoM at all, but if you do, to label it as GoM/DTE data.

My longest drive so far on 100% charge. Details below (attempting to use your desired format Tony)

135.4 miles driven
6.6 m/kWh
50s to 60s temperatures (humid)
No climate control
Only "accessories" were headlights and windshield wipers.
23.1 mph average (my typical commute on 25-45mph back-roads)
LBW on around 121 miles

After coasting into my driveway last night after work at 133.5 miles 6.6m/kWh avg.

Since I hadn't hit VLBW yet and DTE was still reading a value (rather than --) decided to wait until today at work to charge (~2mile trip).

Arrived at work, 135.4 miles 6.6 m/kWh, ready to plug in!

I probably could have pushed it further, but knowing that the temperature is supposed to drop below the 30s again and I am going out tonight, I needed to go ahead and charge. Also, in the back of my mind I had a small fear of being put in turtle mode without a VLBW warning (the "sans effect" post).

TNleaf said:
My longest drive so far on 100% charge. Details below (attempting to use your desired format Tony)

135.4 miles driven
6.6 m/kWh
50s to 60s temperatures (humid)
No climate control
Only "accessories" were headlights and windshield wipers.
23.1 mph average (my typical commute on 25-45mph back-roads)
LBW on around 121 miles
....., in the back of my mind I had a small fear of being put in turtle mode without a VLBW warning (the "sans effect" post).

I think you had 10-12 miles to go. The 132 mile Edmunds.com run (on a track, that you just beat) went 26 miles from LBW (16 and 10 miles). I've gone 22 miles, at not nearly your skill level (but virtually all freeway).

Welcome to the 200km Club. Let me send you a t-shirt for being the current record holder.

Pretty awesome!

Also, I noticed that, upon completion, his battery temperature gauge only showed four bars, meaning that at least part of the drive was done on a cool pack.

I had a few requests to post Carwings data, so here ya go.

Evidently Carwings updated part of today's data, as it shows me only driving .9 miles and consuming .1 and .1 of regen, yet somehow got number 21.3 m/kWh. Good ole' Carwings.

I had charged Thursday night, so the current trip was from Friday until this morning.

CW showed the following mileages:
Fri - 28.8
Sat- 40.7
Sun- 39.6
Mon- 11.7
Tues-12.2

One quirky thing I noticed today is that the My Driving Style and the Driving Records for each days do not match up exactly. For example, My Driving Style for Monday shows (if you do Consumed + Accessories - Regen) 1.5 as does Tuesday. However, the Daily Driving Record shows Monday as 1.6 consumption and Tuesday 1.4 consumption. I mean, I suppose it is due to rounding, but it seems like they aren't consistent in their calculations.

Anyways, let me know if there is anymore useful information from Carwings.

This past week has been much cooler (sleeting/raining several days), and it's been hard to keep at 4.8mpkWh or better.

On the plus side, I did receive my awesome new shirt from Tony today! Very cool light blue color. I'd recommend checking it out on his website if you haven't already!

http://www.lovemyleaf.com/#!store" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(sorry for the OT post!)

Back