Quick Charge Ports - add later

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EdmondLeaf said:
no
are you any closer to buy one, or still contemplating/waiting?
clifsmith said:
If I buy a car without a quickcharge port, can it be added later with aftermarket or factory parts?

At the prices I am seeing...it is so tempting....oh so tempting.

I leased mine with a QC port...no regrets. I've been using it since Nov. and I love it! I will be using it later to travel to other states and distant in-state cities. I want to show people that the LEAF is more than just a commuter car.

I can't find the link right now, but Nissan had a page/link somewhere on their website that said it couldn't be added later....It might have been when ordering the car...

Randy said:
I can't find the link right now, but Nissan had a page/link somewhere on their website that said it couldn't be added later....It might have been when ordering the car...
Yes, this was mentioned on the ordering website. We had this discussion several times already, and I went and looked for all the parts needed to install the QC port at one point. If you add it all together, it's on the order of $2 to $3K plus labor. Hardly cost effective, and you might potentially void your warranty. As has been said earlier, the best idea might be to trade up to an SL if you really want the port. The demand for used Leafs seems to be quite robust at the moment. Retrofitting SVs might make more sense in 2-3 years, once there is more QC infrastructure, cheaper or perhaps even used parts, and the vehicle is out of manufacturer's warranty coverage.

I would not recommend getting a Leaf without the QC port, it never should have been an option. the 3.3 kW charger is great for home and work charging but it was really designed to be matched with the QC, IMHO. To have the flexibility you will invariably need at least on occasion, fast charging is the key. In addition to giving you fast charging for longer trips it's also invaluable for winter time driving when you are otherwise caught between getting cold vs getting home. As soon as we have the network up and running for a season here in WA and Oregon, all of this will become very clear.

clifsmith said:
If I buy a car without a quickcharge port, can it be added later with aftermarket or factory parts?

What parts need to be added, replaced, or modified?
1. Wiring harness, signal and HV
2. the Charger Controller, built into the Charger, I suspect
3. the Chademo Port (socket)
4. possibly the Inverter, containing relays to the HV bus?
5. others?

Yes - the story was that if you order without the QC, you can't add it later.

So - my impression is that the vast majority of at least the initial wave of purchasers ended up buying a Leaf with the QC port. Of all of those people, I'd bet less then two handfuls have actually used the QC to date.

While it seems like a must have item - the chance of actually being where you can use it regularly in the next couple of years is pretty small...

I'd base my decision not on some perceived resale value, or some hope of what might be - but rather on what QC's are already installed where you can use them, and what has been announced and funded that you can use.

It should be noted that most who opted for the QC port got reimbursed from EV Project funds, at least those who bought the car, not sure if leases were eligible for this kick-back.

While most folks haven't had a chance to use them, I think it's all to easy to minimize their value and underestimate their likely availability. having used Quick Charging only a few times, I can say it's a crowd pleaser, probably the most wowing thing about the car. if the article that is going around is correct, Nissan is about to unveil some 800 chargers around the US over the next 2 of months. They wouldn't be saying this if the projects weren't near completion. the wisdom of the QC port is about to become abundantly clear, IMHO.

LakeLeaf said:

So - my impression is that the vast majority of at least the initial wave of purchasers ended up buying a Leaf with the QC port. Of all of those people, I'd bet less then two handfuls have actually used the QC to date.

While it seems like a must have item - the chance of actually being where you can use it regularly in the next couple of years is pretty small...

I'd base my decision not on some perceived resale value, or some hope of what might be - but rather on what QC's are already installed where you can use them, and what has been announced and funded that you can use.

GaslessInSeattle said:
While most folks haven't had a chance to use them, I think it's all to easy to minimize their value and underestimate their likely availability. having used Quick Charging only a few times, I can say it's a crowd pleaser, probably the most wowing thing about the car. if the article that is going around is correct, Nissan is about to unveil some 800 chargers around the US over the next 2 of months. They wouldn't be saying this if the projects weren't near completion. the wisdom of the QC port is about to become abundantly clear, IMHO.

LakeLeaf said:

George -

You are indeed an optimist! While I hope that you vision does come to fruition (because deep down it is mine also), I suspect for the next good number of years, there won't be enough QC infrastructure in place to make it a "must have" option on the car. It might make sense in the nearer future on a case by case basis, but I'm a bit jaded about a grand glorious QC network for the average Joe being implemented.

Just m.h.o, mind you!

garygid said:
What parts need to be added, replaced, or modified?
1. Wiring harness, signal and HV
2. the Charger Controller, built into the Charger, I suspect
3. the Chademo Port (socket)
4. possibly the Inverter, containing relays to the HV bus?
5. others?
Gary, if I recall correctly, it's two harnesses, and the port itself. One of the harnesses seems to contain two additional relays that would need to be installed. The other parts seem to be identical, and Nissan has not made a specific charger, inverter or anything else for SV and SL trims. I think the claim that it cannot be done at the dealer relates to two things: it's labor-intensive and not very cost effective.

I looked for the old post, and I believe that it's these parts, but I could be missing something. Also note that the URLs stopped working, and won't bring you to the respective part listing, only the entry point:

1. EGI wiring harness w/quick charge: $618.89
2. Front compartment wiring harness w/quick charge: $1,212.00
3. Quick charge port: $714.25

Edit: actually, there is a QC-specific DC/DC board, which I didn't catch earlier:

4. JUNCTION BOARD DC/DC JUNCTION BOX; Leaf; w/Quick Charge: $663.84

Valdemar said:
It should be noted that most who opted for the QC port got reimbursed from EV Project funds, at least those who bought the car, not sure if leases were eligible for this kick-back.

I disagree with the word MOST. Perhaps in your area since it is a project area, but MOST of the cars were not sold in a project area. I negotiated the price with the dealer to essentially get it for free.

I am not seeing many for sale without the QC. I just saw one that was discounted heavily, but it is no longer for sale. I had no idea that adding the QC was so involved. I thought it was just a matter of adding a different socket and maybe some minimal wiring to that socket. I am sure there will be QC infrastructure in a few years and it will be nice to already have it.

There was one other poster who was talking about the 3.3kw charger and the compatiblitiy with QC. What effect will the newer 6kw charger have with QC that is coming out in 2013 models? 10 minute charge?

clifsmith said:
I am sure there will be QC infrastructure in a few years and it will be nice to already have it.

We all, at least those with the QC port, hope you're right, however there is no real data to support this theory as of today.

Gary, does that have anything to do with QC seems to be free so far? Put $5 or $10 on the ticket and see how excited people are.
The only time I have wanted faster charging was at home. If destinations had L2 I can't imagine ever needing QC.
I will just burn gas on longer trips. :shock:

I would gladly pay for QC vs sitting around for hours waiting for my car to charge up enough to get home, been there, done that, have the pissed off wife. QC will allow us to relax more in the winter time with respect to staying warm and allow us to drive further. Paying for occasional Quick Charging will add little to the overall running costs of the car, it will still be a screaming deal to drive electric. the biggest effect will be a reduction of range anxiety, even for those who don't end up hardly ever using them.

smkettner said:
Gary, does that have anything to do with QC seems to be free so far? Put $5 or $10 on the ticket and see how excited people are.
The only time I have wanted faster charging was at home. If destinations had L2 I can't imagine ever needing QC.
I will just burn gas on longer trips. :shock:

Latest posts

Back