Nissan massively increases cost of new EVSE's

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingineer

The MSRP is now at $934.82!

We will no longer be offering new units for sale, as it's silly to stock them at this price.

I suspect this is because we have been buying so many from them. All this is going to do is hurt sales of the LEAF.

-Phil

Ingineer said:

We will no longer be offering new units for sale, as it's silly to stock them at this price.

I suspect this is because we have been buying so many from them. All this is going to do is hurt sales of the LEAF.

-Phil

Probably more to do the value of the ¥. But I agree that it doesn't make sense to stock new ones. Wow!

It seems like EVSE prices have been rising, not falling lately. Time to dust off that cute, yellow, hang on the wall outlet design concept you were working on and get it ready to market, I guess. :D

Ingineer said:

-Phil

Wow, now they cost more than some L2 units (most not portable but still!) ; this could be why we're seeing some prices raised on the L2 units (HD raised the price on the Schneider unit they sell by $70 from $729 to $799 but when it was $729 they were offering a $50 instant credit down to $679)

Any idea how much Toyota will be charging for their portable unit? We have a plugin Prius at work and I checked out the EVSE it comes with. It works really well and is a bit smaller and more portable than Nissan's.

surfingslovak said:
Any idea how much Toyota will be charging for their portable unit? We have a plugin Prius at work and I checked out the EVSE it comes with. It works really well and is a bit smaller and more portable than Nissan's.
We've already upgraded one, they are only good to 12 amps (14AWG wire vs 12AWG), and they already cost more as parts.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
We've already upgraded one, they are only good to 12 amps (14AWG wire vs 12AWG), and they already cost more as parts.
Phil, I seem to recall you showed a "cost reduced" version of the Nissan EVSE at one of the BayLeaf meetings. I think the wire gauge was reduced in that EVSE as well. Of course "cost reduced" does not necessarily translate to lower retail prices.

This is really sad being how little parts are actually in an EVSE. I don't know whether it is Nissan or their parts suppliers causing the price to be so high, but it is ridiculous. I think the L1 EVSE shouldn't cost the consumer more than $100.

Oh.. And knowing how much it costs to replace leaves me seriously wondering if I should use it in a parking lot somewhere where it can get stolen.

Its highly suspicous that on the same day Nissan announces the "average" home install will now cost $1800 or so, versus the previous $2200, and then the standard EVSE goes up in price.

Yup, this is pressure from AV for sure, as they are probably hurting puppies now, I'm betting they took a well deserved beating, and this is how they plan to "dig themselves out", make the EVSE upgrade almost a non-starter and lower the price of the AV standard install.

won't work though, as the Schnieder and SPX are still better deals, and even with the price increase, its still less to upgrade one of the L1 Panasonic's thats comes with the Leaf, through eveseupgrade.com

mitch672 said:
Its highly suspicous that on the same day Nissan announces the "average" home install will now cost $1800 or so, versus the previous $2200, and then the standard EVSE goes up in price.

Yup, this is pressure from AV for sure, as they are probably hurting puppies now, I'm betting they took a well deserved beating, and this is how they plan to "dig themselves out", make the EVSE upgrade almost a non-starter and lower the price of the AV standard install.

won't work though, as the Schnieder and SPX are still better deals, and even with the price increase, its still less to upgrade one of the L1 Panasonic's thats comes with the Leaf, through eveseupgrade.com

The next step could be Nissan starts making the Level 1 cordset an added $$ option. They've already hinted about this. (question in one of the Qualtrics surveys)

Yeah I just started looking around for an extra L1 to use while the one I got with my LEAF is upgraded.

Costs:

Leviton: $949 (http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-EVC11-300-Evr-Green-Portable-Charger/dp/B004G6ZQYY)
Clipper Creek: $649 (http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-7/PCS-dsh-15,-Portable-Level-1/Detail.bok)
Nissan: $760 (https://www.everythingnissan.com/ part#296M13NA0A)

I went with the Clipper Creek b/c it looked like a nice setup. I would've preferred the Legrand
(http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/electric-vehicle-chargers/product-details/level-1-portable.aspx) for its sturdy weatherproof case and right angle plug, but I couldn't find a place to buy it.

you can still get the:

Nissan Leaf L2 240V Aerovironment Car Charger

for $630 on e-bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220872839341?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_822wt_1198" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I stopped waiting and got mine today. Wife was worried about only having the mode Panasonic EVSE.

Ouch!
adric22 said:
Oh.. And knowing how much it costs to replace leaves me seriously wondering if I should use it in a parking lot somewhere where it can get stolen.
That's a big fear of mine too, if I do get a Leaf.

Back