Nissan massively increases cost of new EVSE's

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
Supposedly it is rated up to 20 amps, according to their specs.
And, not "Tamper Proof", so perhaps it is easy to open?

So, it could be L2-Mod-Ready! :)
We will definitely look at this. But it's quite an undertaking to reverse-engineer the unit electrically, then recode the firmware. We don't yet even know how well the unit is made. Maybe it will just end up being a low-cost 12A only option.

-Phil

Rusty said:
Ingineer said:
We've already got a call into LeGrand to get a sample unit.

The LeGrand has an alternate lower current setting, but I didn't see what it is in the pamphlet. If you get one can you let us know?
If you zoom in on the image from Home Depot, the big orange button selects between 8A and 12A.

greenleaf said:
Rusty said:
Ingineer said:
We've already got a call into LeGrand to get a sample unit.

The LeGrand has an alternate lower current setting, but I didn't see what it is in the pamphlet. If you get one can you let us know?
If you zoom in on the image from Home Depot, the big orange button selects between 8A and 12A.
Interesting that there are what appear to be two led indicators within each current setting. I'm not sure what the two LEDs per setting mean, but it looks like 8A and 12A are the only current levels the unit supports. You can also see indications for "ac grounded" and "fault".
EVSELegrandL1HDZoomed.png
You can see from the input plug that the stock unit can't go over 12A, since the plug is a NEMA 5-15 P 15A plug and code only allows you to use 80% of that for a continuous application, which is 12A. Based on the diameter of the input cord in the zoomed image, I would guess that cord will have 14 Gauge conductors, and they would presumably use the same gauge for the J1772 cord. You can get an idea of the cord diameter by comparing the cord size in the image to the width? height? (long dimension of the blade cross section) of the NEMA 5-15 P plug blades. So it doesn't look like it's as beefy as the Panasonic / Nissan unit where they are already using 12 Gauge conductors. We all wait for Phil to receive his unit and get it on the operating table! :)
EVSELegrandL1NEMA5-15PHDZoomed.png
I searched for the manual, but no luck so far. The "Maximum Amperage (amps) : 20 A" in the Home Depot specifications is just incorrect, it can't have that rating with a NEMA 5-15 P 120V, 15A plug.

ElectricVehicle said:
Based on the diameter of the input cord in the zoomed image, I would guess that cord will have 14 Gauge conductors, and they would presumably use the same gauge for the J1772 cord.
I wouldn't think that 14ga would be adequate for the long cable. I also wonder if they could even source such a low gauge J1772 cable. Well, we'll find out soon enough.

This LeGrand unit looks awfully similar to the non-UL listed "Voltec" unit that comes with the Volt. It's made by Lear, and has 16awg cable throughout! It's also not water-resistant, and is glued shut. It's so flimsy, that a good drop will crack the unit open.

It's by far the worst EVSE I've ever seen! I doubt seriously it could even pass a UL test, which may explain why they didn't. Let's hope this isn't the case with the LeGrand unit.

-Phil

Back