Nissan massively increases cost of new EVSE's

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the cost going up can be a reflection of economy of the world. the only entities right now that have money is big business. governments dont have it, people dont have it.

soon, the companies wont have it either. but they can simply eliminate a few hundred workers to make up for any shortfall and move on.

this spiral has gone on for a while now. most companies are to the point where they cannot cut back on expenses so they must raise product prices. they buy gas too.

its sad, but the fact are; if we supported EVs like we supported ICE's, the EVSE would be $200

johnr said:
chris1howell, this is your signal that now is a great time to put your creation on the market ;)
Chris,
Isn't it "terrible" how an interesting little home project can grow? Continue to avail yourself of the sage advice of others who have ventured down the manufacturing and marketing path. And when you've decided to take the plunge ---- put me down as your first customer! :D

Hear you load and clear... I am making steady progress.

So far the DIY EVSE is working perfectly with the LEAF and its timers... I need to test on other non-LEAF J1772 cars soon.

chris1howell said:

So far the DIY EVSE is working perfectly with the LEAF and its timers... I need to test on other non-LEAF J1772 cars soon.
Perfection is the enemy of good enough. It already works for the largest market of vehicles on the road, the Leaf.
Bring it to market and work on testing the other cars after. Apple did not wait for all things perfect to launch their new products.

Consider selling a DIY (almost complete) Experimental Kit, with
no UL, no Warranty (expressed or implied), no Liability, etc.

That gets the "Chris-olater" into the hands of many first-adopter "testers"
and you can gather data from them and refine from there.

Possibly make it firmware-updatable in the field so that you can "grow" those first customers.

It is still a "kit" if the user has to attach only the power-in wiring, I believe. The "kit" components could even be pre-tested.

I suggest including easy User-Selectable Max-Amp settings from
8, 10, or 12 amps up to 16, 24, and 30 amps so that the "EV-Interface Kit" can be installed/used in a variety of conditions.

If I can help, just ask.

Desertstraw said:
Obvious answer. ""EVSEupgrade.com" which sells an adapter that enables charging at any 240 outlet."

The cost of the Nissan EVSE is $0 for LEAF buyers and they can have it upgraded at a nominal cost so the Nissan cost is irrelevant in that case. The Panasonic LEAF unit is very well made and extremely durable. It was rumored Nissan was losing money on each unit but even if true I would not doubt this has something to do with AV bleeding in this sector. For a company of their size with their tactics they never had a chance in the consumer market. Many of their installers can't wait to stop being abused by them and get out of their contract, the smart ones walked early on. I see AV getting out of the consumer EVSE business for good and Ecotality as well once the federal dollars are gone. I would never give a penny to these companies even if their EVSE was $100 because I do not agree with their business ethics and complete lack of interest in the success of EVs other than to fill their pockets. AV should stick to their military drone contracts rather than applying those profit models to the consumer EVSE market. It's all quite pathetic and those who know how these companies operate know what I mean. Unfortunately these folks were handed the contracts to make all this happen. Too bad Nissan had to select such a bad partner and model to do this.

I received an email from Nissan a few days ago saying that AeroVironment had reduced the price for their "installed" EVSE and invited me to request a home assessment.

Too late, the SPX is powered and waiting for the car

EVDRIVER said:
It was rumored Nissan was losing money on each unit

If the EVSE really costs that much, then I'd have probably been happy to have it excluded from the car if it brought the MSRP down $800 or more.

I have to wonder how much new, outsourced technology like this goes into the Leaf. Everything from the charging connectors, ports, battery modules, etc. If it is quite a lot, then as EV's become more popular those costs will drop dramatically.

chris1howell said:

Chris,
I haven't seen any updates to your DIY project. I'm not sure if I am subscribed to that topic or not. I do remember reading it and would like to follow it. Can you provide the link to that topic?

I also agree with a DIY kit which would release you from liability. We have way to much of that going around. I would support a constitutional amendment to restrice congress to no more than 1/3 lawyers being elected at a time.

Joseph J Like

The DIY EVSE info is here. I will have new info yo post very soon....

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris

padamson1 said:
I went with the Clipper Creek b/c it looked like a nice setup. I would've preferred the Legrand
(http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/electric-vehicle-chargers/product-details/level-1-portable.aspx) for its sturdy weatherproof case and right angle plug, but I couldn't find a place to buy it.
Check out the video for the Legrand
http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/electric-vehicle-chargers/legrand-ev-charger-video.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They start charging at 7:30pm for overnight.. Ooopss.. but then they go on showing the state of charge on whole home control unit, a parking garage with EV and Gasoline entrance lanes. Leaving the garage is $2.00 for parking and $0.50 for charging. Giant gidometer in the outside of the car that shows state of charge as the car drives.

So how about modifying the Legrand L1 available for $499?
ac3aa4a5-26b2-420e-8080-059f330b083a_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Of course the L2 is available for $750 but does not look as portable.

at the plug in event here a few weekends back they had an Miev and I noticed the same EVSE that came with the Leaf and I asked if it was stock and the person with the car said yes. Can anyone verify this and does anyone know if Mitsubishi is selling the EVSE separately at a lower price than Nissan? just a thought...

ElectricVehicle said:
They start charging at 7:30pm for overnight.. Ooopss.. but then they go on showing the state of charge on whole home control unit, a parking garage with EV and Gasoline entrance lanes. Leaving the garage is $2.00 for parking and $0.50 for charging. Giant gidometer in the outside of the car that shows state of charge as the car drives.

Observations: I already hate the chick in the video for spending her whole day connected to an EVSE at work when it would only take 1-1.5 hours of charging to get her back to 100%. But why does she persist in charging from 80% to 100% anyway? She could have done her whole day without public charging and still returned home with 40% of her overnight charge left! :roll:

Generally prices for EVSE are going down and selection/competition improving, therefore no reason to panic, someone will always want to see if possible to make money on intelligent power cord. No reason to cry here.

Ingineer said:
We've already got a call into LeGrand to get a sample unit.

The LeGrand has an alternate lower current setting, but I didn't see what it is in the pamphlet. If you get one can you let us know?

Back