So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am regularly getting around 4.5 mi/kwh.
(inaccurate carwings pic deleted on edit)
Watching the bubbles, letting off on the hills and hyper-miling up to, then floating through the stoplights,
my Dad taught me to drive like this years ago, and it is really paying off.
Within this 94 mile trip was lots of freeway, a/c part of the time, and booming stereo most of the time.
The other day I really cooled it and got 7.1 mi/kwh for about 30 miles. It takes discipline though....

One thing I have noticed is that prius owners have aggression toward me,
trying to swoop ahead and cut me off.
I dutifully punch the electro-pedal which seemingly makes matters worse
from the expressions I observe from the rear view mirror. :lol:

dcarter

That doesn't impress us because Carwings lies. Let's see a picture of your dash with the Energy Economy display showing m/kWh. On second thought, I no longer trust that, either, because it always starts way low after you reset it.

Ray

Well, I show 6.5 M/Kwh in Carwings... However, my long-term average on the car's display is 4.5 so there is another datapoint of just how wrong and useless Carwings is... Oh, and I generally don't practice many hypermilling techniques. I just drive it.

dcarter said:
I am regularly getting over 6.3 mi/kwh.

I have 5.6 miles per KWH for the life of my Leaf (just short of 500 miles) from the dash reading. I reset the reading when I took delivery and haven't touched it since. Most of the miles are from my work commute, which is 40 miles round trip. My commute involves a total elevation gain (and loss, of course) of about 1300 feet each day and is 75% on the L.A. freeways. I keep my speed between 50 and 55 MPH on the freeway, unless traffic forces me to go slower (which is frequent in the afternoon).

I have had my Leaf for about a week in northeast TN. Lots of hills and not much freeway traffic. In town, I get great range on ECO - ~90 miles, but with freeway driving at 65-75 mph, the range is much less, ~70 miles. My daily commute to work is around 12 miles round trip, but one day a week, it is ~50 miles round trip. I guess the freeway speeds really drain the battery? I don't have enough data to really settle on the range, but the car will serve its purpose to get around the Tri-cities area. We will have to see how it goes when it gets cold. I suspect things will be much different...

planet4ever said:
That doesn't impress us because Carwings lies. Let's see a picture of your dash with the Energy Economy display showing m/kWh. On second thought, I no longer trust that, either, because it always starts way low after you reset it.

Ray

unless you are immediately coasting down a hill, it should. i take off in the morning and no matter how slowly i do it, i am always in the near 20 kwh range when most of my 35-40 mile commute is in the 5-15 kwh range.

it simply takes a lot to get going, but the extra weight and good aerodynamics allows you to keep going with minimal effort.

What matters to me is what it costs me to drive the car. After my first full month on TOU service with a separate meter I was finally able to see that. We went 1216 miles on 336 kWh of energy. That comes out to 3.619 m/kWh drawn from the wall. It cost me $24.06, or 1.9786 cents per mile for fuel. That's the bottom line for me--I don't really care what Carwings says I am pulling from the battery (which is 6.3 m/kWh over 2840 total miles so far, BTW).

TT

My dash reports 4.4 m/kWh over the 1100 miles since 5/16 delivery. Carwings reports 5.6 m/kWh over the same period, 5.4 in may and 5.7 in June. I think the improvement may be due to more frequent 80% (83%) charges, allowing me to use all the regen in my 2,000 ft descent over the first 6-7 miles from home.

Most of my driving is on 55 mph roads, and I average about that speed.

The one pleasant surprise for me has been high brake regeneration efficiency. I have averaged about 1000 feet of ascent and descent for every 20 miles I have driven here in Shasta County (since my 250 mile nearly flat drive home from the Dealer in Petaluma). I think I am recovering close to 70%-80% of the ascent energy in the corresponding descent.

I have probably replaced over 50 axles worth of brake pads and shoes in 35 years of driving ICE vehicles.

I don't expect to have to replace the pads on my Leaf for many, many, miles.

DaveinOlyWA said:
planet4ever said:
Let's see a picture of your dash with the Energy Economy display showing m/kWh. On second thought, I no longer trust that, either, because it always starts way low after you reset it.
unless you are immediately coasting down a hill, it should. i take off in the morning and no matter how slowly i do it, i am always in the near 20 kwh range when most of my 35-40 mile commute is in the 5-15 kwh range.

it simply takes a lot to get going, but the extra weight and good aerodynamics allows you to keep going with minimal effort.
That can't be the whole explanation, or even a major part of it. See the experiment I reported on over in "Re: Range = Miles/KWh * 21":
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4344&start=17

I followed that up with a second post explaining in more detail what I had done:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4344&start=20

The bottom line is that I went about 24 miles in a loop stopping at, I would guess, at least 15 red lights out of 72 intersections I went through that had traffic signals. And yet, though I had to get all that extra battery weight going each time, my m/kWh number kept climbing steadily from 3.0 at first to 5.2 near the end.

Ray

I believe this is my best actual range so far: Today I traveled 87.1 miles and still had one bar showing. Naturally that was starting at 100%, but no recharging during the day. I consider this surprisingly good since about 80% of it was on freeways, with at least 25 miles running between 65 and 70 (the rest at 60), and I had A/C on most of the way. I used ECO all day, and Cruise Control when on the freeway at 60 mph. I'd estimate total elevation change around 600-700 feet down and the same back up.

Ray

planet4ever said:
I believe this is my best actual range so far: Today I traveled 87.1 miles and still had one bar showing. Naturally that was starting at 100%, but no recharging during the day. I consider this surprisingly good since about 80% of it was on freeways, with at least 25 miles running between 65 and 70 (the rest at 60), and I had A/C on most of the way. I used ECO all day, and Cruise Control when on the freeway at 60 mph. I'd estimate total elevation change around 600-700 feet down and the same back up.

Ray

Nice.

For me, it is not the freeway action that kills, it is the uphill freeway action.
The car is damn heavy, and when pitted against aerodynamics AND counter-inertia of going up a hill at speed, it really sucks the juice.
I am clearly averaging 4.5 on the dash, and I anticipate a bit of a gain now that I am only charging 80%.
...Carwings-liar has guessed me generating 40-50% of my used energy though the non-brakes.
As far as the AC, setting it at 80 degrees does nicely...
Question though, does ECO actually help range with the more aggressive regen-braking profile, or is it just the moderation on the throttle that counts?

dcarter

The ECO mode throttle remapping is just smoke and mirrors in my opinion since you can accomplish the exact same thing simply with a lighter foot in D. The more aggressive regen that ECO gives MAY be of some advantage depending on how and where you drive since it gives more regen than you can get in D with the brake pedal before the friction brakes kick in.... Probably the biggest advantage of ECO is that, if you live in a climate where it is a consideration, it limits the amount of Climate Control draw.

dcarter said:
Question though, does ECO actually help range with the more aggressive regen-braking profile, or is it just the moderation on the throttle that counts?

dcarter

My commute is 24-26 miles each way with a 300 feet elevation change. I don't look at the predicted range since it is all over the place from 75 miles to 55 miles (80% recharge). The fuel economy on the dash is 5.0 mi/kWhr (6.5 mi/kWhr on CARWINGS). My commute is 80% freeway which drives my mileage down but I try to keep it between 55-62 mph. Those who want to weave in and out of traffic at 80mph and try to overtake in the slow lane will run into a road block! Me. I am not that concerned about getting the solo driving sticker anymore esp. for freeway driving. I would hate to be tailgated and forced to speed up to 70mph or more. The sticker is useful for avoiding tolls, getting past the metering lights, and during heavy commute times when speeds are more reasonable.

planet4ever said:
That's pretty good considering the miles spent at 65-70.

I had a 82 mile out-and-back trip today about 70% highway (cruise set between 60-62 mph), started at 100% charge. Drove in ECO mode, A/C on. Dash indicated only indicated 1-2 miles more range to turn the A/C off. Got to the destination with 6 bars remaining and 44 miles estimated. When I checked with the iPhone app later it indicated 5 bars remaining?

Trickle charged for about 2 hours at the destination and had 7 bars indicated (don't remember what the DTE read, was over 60 miles, I think) and got home with 2 bars left and 13 miles estimated. It is slightly uphill the last couple miles home but I expect it would have been pretty close without the 2 hours of trickle. And checking Carwings now it says 1 bar remaining 11 mi remaining. Weird.

Dash indicated 4.3 mi / kWh for the trip.

planet4ever said:
Ray
That is impressive. I'm still waiting for another San Jose area Leafer to make the trip to Aptos or Capitola and back before I try it. I have a condo in Seascape and at this point wouldn't try it in the Leaf. If I get someone else's experience telling me it'll work, then I might. Or if someone puts a fast charger en route.

Rat said:
I'm still waiting for another San Jose area Leafer to make the trip to Aptos or Capitola and back before I try it. I have a condo in Seascape and at this point wouldn't try it in the Leaf. If I get someone else's experience telling me it'll work, then I might. Or if someone puts a fast charger en route.

Not quite the same distance, but I'll be trying a round trip from south San Jose (101 & 85) to Santa Cruz in a couple of weeks. I'm interested to see how it does going over the hill. I have the option to L1 at my destination, but I will probably only be there for a couple of hours.

I took my longest trip so far on a single 100% charge this past weekend. It was a round trip total of 86 miles, but 95% of it was on the freeway, so I was a little worried that I would be cutting it close, but my 4-year old daughter and I made it home with one bar showing (next to last bar had just disappeared) and 11 miles of remaining range. I drove in ECO, and did not use climate control (other than the fan) or cruise control. I kept my speed at 55 MPH (+/- 2). If 1 bar is indeed ~20% SoC, then I could have gone about 19 more miles at this speed for a total of 105 miles before hitting turtle mode.

The trip was from south San Jose to San Mateo, so I chose to take highway 101 because it hugs the bay and is therefore fairly flat the whole way, except for a 375 foot climb in the last 5 miles. I was a little concerned about the hill, but it was Saturday so there was no time pressure and there were 3 Nissan dealerships along my route, so I decided to go for it. I did tell my wife to keep her phone handy in case I had to call for a rescue mission :)

Overall energy efficiency was 5.2 miles/kWh (4.7 on the way there, and 5.6 on the way back) according to the dash indicator. I attribute most of the difference to that hill since I was averaging around 5 on the way there before the climb. I reset all of the indicators at the top of the hill before heading back, and I was showing 8.0 miles/kWh on the dash for the first 7 miles of the return trip.

Remaining range at the top of the hill was only 40 miles (not enough to get home), but since I still had 6 bars I was not worried. Thanks to all of the great info on this site, it was an anxiety-free trip!

At our destination (College of San Mateo) we saw a stage presentation of "Annie" and when Ms Hannigan delivered her line "I have a good job, free food, free electricity...," my daughter turned to me and said "Daddy! She said 'electricity!' Like your car!" :D

SparkyEV said:
Rat said:
I'm still waiting for another San Jose area Leafer to make the trip to Aptos or Capitola and back before I try it. I have a condo in Seascape and at this point wouldn't try it in the Leaf. If I get someone else's experience telling me it'll work, then I might. Or if someone puts a fast charger en route.

Not quite the same distance, but I'll be trying a round trip from south San Jose (101 & 85) to Santa Cruz in a couple of weeks. I'm interested to see how it does going over the hill. I have the option to L1 at my destination, but I will probably only be there for a couple of hours.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
+2 for me

I'm contemplating taking the Leaf from Mountain View to Santa Cruz in a few weeks and would like some feedback as well.

We live in San Carlos, but definitely a full charge at work from MV should be possible. I figure "PlugShare" app might come in handy for this trip.

Like you Sparky, I also took my longest trip on a 100% charge this weekend.

I started off in Orange, went south via surface to Irvine, then hopped on the 5 to go to Azusa in the SGV. When I first got the car I wasn't yet comfortable doing the 76 miles round-trip without a little 240V charge in between, but I've done it a few times since and usually have a bar to spare. Taking care of some errands and backtracking to Irvine put me about 11 miles down before I hopped on the freeway however, so I wasn't sure how it would pan out.

I rode up the 5N - 57N - 210W around 62MPH give or take, with climate off. The elevation is quite steep at times, and the overall gain is 2700ft with a loss of 2360. Having completed the first leg, I picked up my 2 year-old and headed back the same direction. I believe I was showing 4 bars but lost the 4th rather quickly. This time I knocked it down to 60MPH but figured I'd splurge with one fan of A/C after I reached my the top of my last hill, Tonner Canyon. When I got off my last fwy exit I was about 3 miles from home, and the remaining range went to 4 miles. I decided to baby it a tiny bit out of the way to pick up something quick to eat, and when I was about 1.5 miles away the display reached 3. Three turned into ---, which freaked me out a little. I pulled into my driveway with my 2 year-old none the wiser. The iPhone app displayed 2 miles remaining. Total mileage: 88.9.

I have no idea why Nissan chose to go from 3 to --- instead of displaying the remaining miles. Seems to just increase anxiety since you really don't know how much you have left. Especially in this situation, I can see Gary's SOC device being invaluable here.

Back