2012 Leaf information posted by Nissan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmp647

2012 NISSAN ELECTRIC VEHICLE
In 2011, Nissan ushered in a new era of mobility with the introduction of the Nissan LEAF™, the world’s first affordable, zero-emission car. It is just the beginning of the “no gas, no tailpipe” zero-emission era, with several additional Nissan and Infiniti electric vehicles already announced or in development. Like the Nissan LEAF, future Nissan EVs promise to satisfy real-world customer requirements for performance, style, comfort, utility, quality, durability and value.

2012 Nissan LEAF™
The Nissan LEAF, a medium-size hatchback that seats five adults comfortably, has a range of 100 miles (U.S. LA4 cycle) on one full charge, satisfying real-world consumer requirements. It is powered by a lithium-ion battery composed of 48 compact modules and a high-response 80kW AC synchronous motor generating 107 horsepower and 207 lb-ft of torque. This combination provides a highly responsive, fun-to-drive experience that is in keeping with what consumers have come to expect from traditional, gasoline-powered vehicles. Unlike internal-combustion engine-equipped vehicles, LEAF’s powertrain has no tailpipe and thus no emission of CO2 or other greenhouse gases while being driven.

The Nissan LEAF can be charged up to 80 percent of its full capacity in 30 minutes when equipped with a quick charge port and using a DC fast charger. Charging at home through a 220V outlet is estimated to take approximately eight hours. The advanced lithium-ion battery pack carries an industry-competitive warranty of 8 years or 100,000 miles.

Enhancements for the 2012 model year include the addition of standard battery heater, heated outside mirrors, heated front steering wheel, heated front and rear seats and rear HVAC duct. A Quick Charge Port is also added as standard equipment on Nissan LEAF SL models.Key features of the 2012 Nissan LEAF include:
• Distinctive exterior styling characterized by sharp, upright V-shaped design featuring long, up-slanting LED headlights with a blue internal reflective appearance
• Standard rear spoiler, flat underbody with rear diffuser and aerodynamically shaped LED taillights
• Attractive 5-spoke 16-inch aluminum-alloy wheels mounted with P205/55R16 Bridgestone Ecopia tires
• A roomy interior with a pleasingly modern design with blue instrument panel highlights and instrument illumination, a “floating” piano black C-stack and a 60/40 split folding rear seat
• Unique EV-IT designed interface utilizing CARWINGS telematics (no charge for 36 months) connected to a global data center
• Standard Nissan Navigation System, XM® Satellite Radio (XM® subscription required, sold separately) and Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System
• RearView Monitor and HomeLink® Universal Transceiver standard on SL models
• Safety systems include six air bags, 4-wheel Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) and Traction Control System (TCS)

The 2012 Nissan LEAF is offered in two well-equipped models, the LEAF SV and LEAF SL. The LEAF SL includes a photovoltaic solar panel spoiler that supports charging of the 12-volt battery for car accessories, fog lights, auto on/off headlights, cargo cover and more. It is scheduled to be available in fall 2012.
http://nissannews.com/pressrelease/2561/1/2012-nissan-lineup-charting-changes

so it looks like we can add cold weather pack to our 2011 Leaf for about $950

and it will be standard equipment for 2012's , guessing there will be a comparable price increase on the 2012's of about $1k
didnt see any mention of new colors ext or interior for 2012's

no changes to charger , but thats no surprise.

So the only difference is that the cold weather package is standard on all models and the quick charge port is standard on the SL? I didn't really expect any changes to the charger at this point either.

"...heated front steering wheel..."

Nissan blows it again!

Look for Ford to announce that its 2012 focus EV will have a heated rear steering wheel...

Seriously, is the LEAF battery heated by electric resistance, rather than by a heat-ant loop?

Will it actually increase range when used while driving, or only be used to preheat the battery when the car is plugged in?

According to the service manual they have 5 heaters on and in between the stacks in the battery. It's not a thermal blanket. It comes on when the battery gets down to -4F and stays on till it gets up to 14F. If there's enough juice in the battery it will come on while the car is turned off if necessary.

Here's an image of the battery heater configuration from the service manual for those interested. 1-6, 8 and 9 are the heaters and 7 is the heater relay unit.

batteryheater.png

rnkepler said:
According to the service manual they have 5 heaters on and in between the stacks in the battery. It's not a thermal blanket. It comes on when the battery gets down to -4F and stays on till it gets up to 14F. If there's enough juice in the battery it will come on while the car is turned off if necessary.

-4F?

Standard equipment for 2012?

Guess not many Hawaii buyers will delay their orders to get this feature.

Is there an accurate reference for LEAF battery performance/capacity at different temperatures?

Like others, I have the impression that my range may be increasing as the weather warms up.

These are all nice upgrades and necessary for cold weather usage. The addition for the rear seating HVAC vents might also prove useful in warm weather states. Overall it's a compelling upgrade.

The problem is that the battery isn't good enough for cold weather driving even with these upgrades. Unless you don't plan on going more than 20 or 30 miles the Leaf with its current battery isn't going to work. Even when the battery is new, and even with all these energy saving and battery enhancing upgrades, you might get 35 miles of usable range, and that's when charging to 100%.

SanDust said:
The problem is that the battery isn't good enough for cold weather driving even with these upgrades. Unless you don't plan on going more than 20 or 30 miles the Leaf with its current battery isn't going to work. Even when the battery is new, and even with all these energy saving and battery enhancing upgrades, you might get 35 miles of usable range, and that's when charging to 100%.
Do you have facts to back your opinion?

SanDust said:
Consumer reports found a range of 65 miles testing with temperatures of 20-30 degrees F. That was without the cold weather package, I believe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Leaf#Range

So, it depends on how cold you are talking about. I haven't seen any figures for testing done with the cold weather package.

It would seem like the : heated wheel, heated seats will help range when temps are moderately cold (35 to 65F) because they will reduce or eliminate heater use.

below 35F and I bet almost everyone will fire the main cabin heater if anything to prevent windshield fogging. they will be heating resistively and the pack will be moderately cold possibly giving up some range.

the Battery heater wont even come on til pack temp hits 4F

so the pack heater will give an improvement to range when operating at 5F and below only.

and using the heated wheel and seats will improve performance above that temp assuming using those allows you to reduce or eliminate main cabin heater.

it would be nice if the pack heater was programmable to come on at at slightly higher temp when you are connected to an evse.

say it to flip on at 3-4am and warm the pack to 25F on a 10F morning
whatever would be a good combination of economics and improved pack performance

from what I know of these chemistry the pack performance is best at 85 to 105 F

and is reduced a good bit at 50f or below

though I am not sure how different the Leaf battery is from the lipo RC packs I use :|

kmp647 said:
the Battery heater wont even come on til pack temp hits 4F

so the pack heater will give an improvement to range when operating at 5F and below only.

You have to wonder - since the battery pack heater appears like it is going to become standard equipment - if Nissan may be rethinking the temperature at which to turn on the pack heater. 4F is pretty cold. Might there be a range improvement heating at 10F?, 15F?, 20F?, 25F? I don't know, but will keep an eye out for any documentation changes in the battery heater section.

With a temperature swing of 20 or 30 degrees between night and day, maybe keeping the battery warm at night while you are charging it will end up being a total energy savings - maybe a net of less energy to charge, and better performance when you start out in the morning. As it warms up during the day - maybe you won't have a need to continue to heat.

How long should one wait to order in hopes of being on the 2012 supply after 2011 run ends?
Any ideas?? I am guessing the competition factor may help my case for a decent deal since Ford will
have already released Focus EV, and more will will be ready or nearly ready to do the same around the corner.
This could help with keeping price increase in check. Maybe. I hope. :|

Senor, you will be waiting a long time. The buzz about these cars is going to be deafening. Price competition will only come when supply outstrips demand and that will not be until after the federal and state incentives have burned off -- not any time soon.

evnow said:
Battery heater seems to be to protect the battery rather than purely increase cold weather range.

Yes, it seems like the battery heater is mainly to protect the battery from freezing, not improve range on a cold day. On the plus side, since its not a electric blanket wrapped around the battery it shouldn't interfere with dissipating heat in the summer.

senordaley said:
How long should one wait to order in hopes of being on the 2012 supply after 2011 run ends?
Any ideas?? I am guessing the competition factor may help my case for a decent deal since Ford will
have already released Focus EV, and more will will be ready or nearly ready to do the same around the corner.
This could help with keeping price increase in check. Maybe. I hope. :|

I would bet any order placed after September will net a 2012

as for the Focus ???????? who knows 2013 is my guess

kmp647 said:
The 2012 Nissan LEAF is offered in two well-equipped models, the LEAF SV and LEAF SL. The LEAF SL includes a photovoltaic solar panel spoiler that supports charging of the 12-volt battery for car accessories, fog lights, auto on/off headlights, cargo cover and more. It is scheduled to be available in fall 2012.
http://nissannews.com/pressrelease/2561/1/2012-nissan-lineup-charting-changes

so it looks like we can add cold weather pack to our 2011 Leaf for about $950

and it will be standard equipment for 2012's , guessing there will be a comparable price increase on the 2012's of about $1k
didnt see any mention of new colors ext or interior for 2012's

no changes to charger , but thats no surprise.

Actually, I AM surprised that there are no changes to the charger. I think that a lot of potential buyers were expecting this change for 2012 and some even hoped that it would be changed for mid-2011 LEAFs. That is a competitive problem for Nissan against Ford, with the Ford's 6 kW charger.

Also, the release states "it is scheduled to be available in fall 2012." They must mean fall 2011, right?

Boomer23 said:
Actually, I AM surprised that there are no changes to the charger. I think that a lot of potential buyers were expecting this change for 2012 and some even hoped that it would be changed for mid-2011 LEAFs. That is a competitive problem for Nissan against Ford, with the Ford's 6 kW charger.

Also, the release states "it is scheduled to be available in fall 2012." They must mean fall 2011, right?

Actually, I am pretty glad there are no major changes. Will keep good resale value for our current version another year.

kmp647 said:
so it looks like we can add cold weather pack to our 2011 Leaf for about $950 and it will be standard equipment for 2012's, guessing there will be a comparable price increase on the 2012's of about $1k.
Probably about $1,700 for the SL since it now includes the quick charge port standard unless of course there is some economy of scale. I wonder why they did not just make the quick charge port standard on both models.

Back