Best storage charge and Leaf Spy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knarlyd

I've read a lot on here about charging but haven't found an answer yet (maybe there isn't one best answer?). I have a new 13 Leaf SL that I got on in December and to date it's got under 350 miles believe it or not. It was a good option to get me out of an older car that still had payments. I also have a truck if I need it.
I'm trickle charging FYI.
My works pays me to take public transit. So, my leaf ends up sitting A LOT. I only drive maybe 5-10 miles the most on weekends, if that.
Since it sits garaged a lot is there a good percentage of charge to leave it at to give best battery life (of course).
On another note, I had it charged to about 80% approx. and then went on vacation for two weeks. Garage temp prob around 40 degrees. When I got home I tried to check the car with my phone and it couldn't talk to the car. I do know that the night I got home there was one flashing blue light. The next morning I got up and no blinking charge lights. Is that normal to lose almost a full charge?? The charger was not plugged into it while I was gone.

I just bought an obd2 bafx so if necessary I can check things out, that is if I understood what to look at lol. I have got it working with my android phone and have successfully paired it. Leaf Spy lite is also talking to it. Just not sure what I should be looking at for good readings.
Thanks so much. I've learned a lot reading posts but still have a lot to learn!

The "best" state of charge for storage is generally considered to be around 40%. Anything from the low battery warning to 80% should be fine.

In cold temps it doesn't matter too much as long as it doesn't sit too long. If it's hot, you definitely want to avoid storage over 80%.

If one of the charging indicator lights was blinking while not plugged in, one of three things was happening:
1. The car was charging the 12V battery.
2. The battery heater was running (not likely if ~40F).
3. The climate control timer was running.

Back