2015 Leaf SL CPO listed at $12,997

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakota1996

Thinking of picking up the above vehicle for my wife. The biggest worry I have about the vehicle is it has 50K miles and only 10 bars left. How long will I have left with this battery and what kind of "real world" range can I expect on it now. I live on Oahu, Hawaii and our climate is pretty temperate. My wife drives roughly 30 miles a day in rush hour traffic. I think the listing price is too high and was hoping to reach out to anyone on this forum for a reasonable price. Or considering my wife's driving situation, should I skip this Leaf entirely. I know the dealer is going try to sell the "CPO" part, but it seems to be worthless for an EV.

Unless you have a way to charge cheaply ie PV system, I would skip it. The cost of energy in Hawaii makes owning an electric vehicle not an economic option.
My 2011 7 bar car on the Big Island does what I want but I do have 39 solar panels that make charging free.

I have 19 PV panels so some of the cost will be offset. The cost of fueling isn't that much of a deal breaker. My concern is with a 50K Leaf and just 10 bars, how long will it be before my wife can't make here daily 30 mi journey in Honolulu traffic? Is it worth anywhere near that $12,997 asking price or if not, what would be a good price given the existing miles and battery degradation?

Hawaii isn't really a good climate for the Leaf, because it doesn't cool off enough at night and the pack isn't actively cooled. The 2015 "Lizard" pack is actually the most heat-resistant Leaf pack, so that should tell you something. A for how long the car might have adequate range, if you figure that it's losing a capacity bar every other year, and likely has a 40 mile range now...

It would be worth knowing the history of the vehicle if you can get that info. Has the car been in Hawaii its whole life, or was it recently shipped there? Was it frequently quick charged? Be wary of a car that came from a super hot climate, such as the southwestern US. I don't really consider HI to be a temperate climate, but it isn't as bad as Phoenix to be sure. The price does seem a bit high considering the miles and battery degradation, but of course everything is more expensive on an island. You can also use Leaf Spy Pro and a bluetooth dongle to check the individual cell health in the Leaf battery, that's one of the best bits of info you can gather about a used EV. As long as the individual cells are still healthy, then the car as a whole will likely last a long time.

Since you have solar, I think an EV in general makes sense, since the cost of gas on an island is expensive as well.

For your reference, I believe I got a very good deal on my car, but I paid $11,500 off the lot for a 2015 Leaf SV (CPO) with 25k miles and 12 bars. After I get a local EV rebate check, that price will drop to $9000. This is in the Pacific Northwest, which is a temperate climate and the market here is flooded with used offlease Leafs. I'm sure the average price where you live is significantly higher.

Another consideration, if you can find the SV model, the cloth seats are a lot more comfortable in hot and cold weather than leather seats in the SL model, and the SV is less expensive as well. Sitting on leather seats in hot weather will make you sweat, but that's not as much of a problem with cloth seats. You may also prefer the light colored (beige) seats so that the car doesn't heat up as much when parked in the sun.

I have over 76,000 miles on my 2015 SL in Phoenix and still make my 52-mile round trip commute (26 miles each way). Prices vary a lot depending upon availability of used EVs in a given market so I won't comment on price.

Back