2016 Leaf S vs SV trickle charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoolD

Hi everyone- I am looking to lease a new Leaf for 2 years.
This car will be second one in family mainly used for daily errands. I expect daily driving to be under 30-40 miles typically and maybe 50 miles once in few months. 30-40 miles will be made up of several short trips to schools/parks etc. in city traffic.
During my lease, we will only use 110v wall socket charging in a garage. I live in Seattle where we will get to 40F in winter.

I can see leases on S for 99$ month/ SV V for189$ with roughly 3K down on both.
Should I be getting S or SV? Will short trips on S give me 40 miles comfortably with overnight trickle charging?

Thanks!

S would be fine. it will have nearly double the range in Summer that you would need. Either way, both sound like a pretty good deal I am guessing this is with $2500 down?

You may be able to negotiate a better deal on an SV without Premium Package, and get the most important features of the SV (larger battery pack, heat pump) for only slightly more than an S with QC could cost (and you'd also get QC). My concern with you getting the S is that you'd be running the heater often even though it doesn't get frigid, and that uses a lot of juice in the S. If you tend to leave the heat off, though, get the S. Keep in mind, though, that the rumor is out that the 2017 Leaf SV/SL will have much more range then the 2016, and the S will have the same pack as the 2016 SV/SL, so prices on those are or are about to be dropping.

I strongly recommend the SV for two reasons:

1) The larger battery will give you more range reserve if you don't have enough time to get a full charge at 120 volts before your next trip.

2) You will use the defroster a lot in your climate. Although the S has more than enough range for your daily needs if starting with a full charge, the much higher energy consumption of the resistance heater (instead of heat pump in SV) will require several more hours of charging at 120 volts each day.

I know from experience how much difference the heat pump makes in moderate climates. If you had a way to charge at 240 volts at home, the S would be OK, but the SV is a much better choice for your situation.

Gerry

At this point the ONLY real advice I can give you is

1) determine what the minimum you can do with as far as range requirements. Then add 20%. This is what you will want to buy. (the add accounts for degradation)

2) determine what you want to pay both on the low and high end.

3) Finally; wait and see. If the 2017 rumors are correct, there will be a massive fire sale on 2016's especially the 24 kwh models. If after step one, you have determined that 24 kwh will work for you and you decide to do that. Don't take nothing less than a stellar deal. If the stellar deal is not going to happen, then do the 30

All this is really determined by Nissan's near future plans. Some are saying the 2017 will be on the streets by mid Fall. I personally am not seeing that happening.

Back