help me decide

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theveggiejerk

So I have the option of getting a 2012 sl for under 9k or a 2013 sv for 12k and can't decide. I live in Salt lake so we get weather. my work is 12 miles from home but that would be freeway driving. everything I do is in salt lake valley so at most a round trip would be 20 miles sometimes freeway depending on traffic. We do have a level 3 station for 2 bucks a use in the city a number of level 2 stations near my home so a home charger may not be needed. If you all can give me the pros and cons of each, what you love about your cars and how it feels for a person over 6 fee tall, I would greatly appreciate it

Plan on charging at home, even if it's only with the L-1 EVSE that comes with the car. I assume it gets hot there in Summer? The 2013 may do a bit better in heat, although it looks like you can do your commute even with a badly degraded battery.

I don't think the '12 SL will have a 6.6kw charging from L2 240V (which means 8 hour charge instead of 4). The '13 SV will have this.

The '13 SV has a better, more efficient heating system (heat pump)

I've heard the battery holds up better in the '13. The '11s/'12s battery degraded more.

I agree that you will need to charge at home from time to time as well. Also you don't want to rely on the L3 Quick charger as continued use will degrade your battery. I'd second the notion that the 2013 SV would likely be the better car over the long run. You'll incur less battery degradation as well on the 2013 car compared to the 2012. You also didn't mention anything about current battery capacity in either car. You should buy an OBD reading and get an App like Leaf Spy and take readings on both. Likely the 2012 is not at 12/12 bars right now, however the 2013 may be at 12/12, but since all capacity bars remain up to 15% loss, you could have very different degradation. The only way to know for sure is to take a reading with a reader. I'd also argue that $12K for a 2013 is probably also just a bit too high.

Welcome, I work in Salt Lake city too. Get the 2013. Sounds a little over priced to me. keep your eye on KSL everyday and you'll nail a 2013 with QC for about 10k.

I have a ODB reader and Leaf spy pro if you need me to check them out with you.

The 2013 SV is the better deal. The battery chemistry in 2013+ models are improved over the earliest models. I had a choice between a 2012 SL and 2013 S for around the same price, and went with the '13. I don't regret it, although I do wish I had a quick charge port. :D

The 2013 additionally has a more energy efficient heating system which will put less drain on your battery when you need it. 2013 hands down.

-Xan

Xan,

You are mistaken about the heater on the 2013 S. Its the same heater as the MY 2012. I would take a 2012 SL over a 2013 S all day. I am in Chicago and battery degradation is low here. I ended up with a 2012 SL since it was really cheap compared the the 2013 and it fit my needs.

Mitral

mitrals said:
Xan,

You are mistaken about the heater on the 2013 S. Its the same heater as the MY 2012. I would take a 2012 SL over a 2013 S all day. I am in Chicago and battery degradation is low here. I ended up with a 2012 SL since it was really cheap compared the the 2013 and it fit my needs.

Mitral

The OP was talking about a 2013 SV, not an S. The SL and SV both have the hybrid heater.

mitrals said:
Xan,

Mitral

Edit - Nothing to see here. See my next reply.

keydiver said:
It was probably a typo, but he DID say "S".

Wasn't a typo. I also did not mention that the '12 SL had almost 10k more miles on it. Also, the '12 SL was from Phoenix, while the '13 S was from Boston. So that combined with the the improvements on the '13 models I was reading about was what swayed me.

Xan

mitrals said:
Xan,

Mitral

Mitral,

You're most definitely right. After doing some reading, I see that I in fact do not have a heat pump in my 2013 S. That's great news in a way for me, considering I thought I had the best heating system (and it was easily taking 25% or more off the range). So I have something to look forward to when I get a newer LEAF. :D

P.S. Sorry for all the spam guys

Thanks guys, By home charger I meant a level 2 station. At first I was thinking I could use the difference in the 2012 model to get a level 2 station but looking at all these videos on people saying they've never used it got me thinking that the difference wasn't that important. I hate cold so that heater may make the 2013 worth it

I hate cold so that heater may make the 2013 worth it

That's your best choice. The resistance heater in the 2012 SL would have you gritting your teeth every time you turned on the heat, at any outside temp, while the heat pump in the SV will let you stay toasty warm in temps above freezing without a second thought. Even below freezing, the heat pump is better down to about 14F.

mitrals said:
You are mistaken about the heater on the 2013 S. Its the same heater as the MY 2012.
Although the '13 S (and '14 and '15 S) do NOT have the hybrid heat pump heater that the '13+ SV and SL have, it's been stated that the heater in the '13+ S is significantly better than the '11 and '12 crap slow to heat water-block heater. Apparently, on the S, they got rid of the water block portion.

There's a reply from a well-known Nissan dealer tech at https://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/permalink/1083387598359343/?comment_id=1083396295025140&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D that states:
" 2013 S heater and the 11/12 heaters are not similar at all" and "11/12 Heaters use a air to water heater. The 13+ S uses a air to air."

Prior to his reply, someone else (who IS a frequent poster here on MNL) stated: "In reality its anything 2013 and newer verses the 11-12's. My heater which is supposed to be the same in my 2013 S definitely works better than my 2011 SL".

Back