Phoenix Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scole665

Well, nothing like jumping into things head first, right? Hahaha, no. I know.

Well, I got a 2011 Leaf for what I thought was a pretty good deal. It was 14.5K and 11 bars. The body was just about perfect and looks brand new. Who knows, maybe I'm mistaken thinking it was a deal but whatever. I really don't know what I'm doing. Here's hoping for FUN!

Anyway, I mostly commute around town and just hate spending a money on gas. My Honda Ridgeline gets 14 around town. I HATE THAT. I have the Ridgeline to tow my classic Japanese cars. You can check them out in the link below if you like that kind of thing. Click around there.... you'll find my loves.

http://s1234.photobucket.com/user/scole665/library/?sort=3&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I charged her up and she read 83 miles of juice. I only drove to the store and back, a very short ride. I am reluctant to take any long trips until I understand how this works.

So, my friend called me today and asked me to drive her to her car. I think she had a bit too much to drink last night. It turns out it's about 12 miles away, a 24 mile round trip. Sounds perfect to me to test things out. So, we start out and the battery seems to deplete quickly. I mean, it was in the 70's within a few miles. I started to panic a little. I had to take a short freeway ride (like 2 miles) and it was down near 60. Ugh. I began to panic a little. But, then I was on surface streets. When I get to the place we were going, it was at 52. So, I figure we're good to get home without a tow. On the way home, I avoid the freeway. It was a little more downhill than the ride over. Came back with exactly 26 miles and 54 miles left. Hummm. I arrived with MORE on the meter. I guess the meter is predictive, but not perfect. This is something that I will have to get used to. While I enjoy an adrenaline rush, I don't want one due to thinking I'll be stranded! LOL. But, it was fun.

I just have the L1 cord that comes with every leaf. My garage is wired with a 220 socket. I'm thinking about just finding a plug in
EVSE rather than something that needs to be installed (you can just plus those in right?). After all, my driving habits don't usually warrant a rapid charge. But, you never know when you'll need it, right? I hesitate to ask for advice on this because I see TONS of questions/answers on this subject. But, if someone wanted to guide me, I wouldn't hate it. :) I WILL need to use the AC in the summer, after all, this is Phoenix, AZ. Heat, not so much.

One thing that's very apparent, I know very little about electricity. Frankly, I've been petrified of electricity after receiving a shock as a child (from a car of all things). I have to study it up!

Well, here she is. I look forward to at least 3 good years with her. :)

The GOM is called a guess a meter with justification. I reflects past driving and it does not take into account your current driving conditions. You might look into getting a GID meter. I is far more accurate.

Since you have an available 240 volt socket in the garage, the least expensive turn-key (no assembly required) 240 volt charging solution is the EVSE Upgrade. For about $300, your OEM EVSE will be made dual-voltage. The ones that come with the 2011-2012 Leafs can only supply 16 amps but your car won't take advantage of a higher charging rate anyway.

If you want to go with a dedicated unit, Clipper Creek has plug-in solutions starting at $549 for the LCS-25P (they make a LCS-20 which is adequate for your car but you'll need to add your own plug). AeroVironment makes their own dual-voltage EVSE called the TurboCord for $649. Other EVSE's can be made to plug-in by adding the proper plug.

Welcome! Plan to spend quite a bit of time here reading the various threads. Almost everything has been asked (and answered) hundreds of times. Given that this is a used 2011 and you're in Phoenix, you will likely see significant battery degradation. Since you said that you have 11 bars, I will even go so far as to say that your car previously received a new battery (didn't even make it four years). The new battery "may" last longer according to rumors, but we won't know for a few years.

what's the VIN, it'd be interesting if you have an old leaf with the new battery in Arizona.

See if can follow the link in my signature to go to the bars lost list and try to find your car.

If you bought it from a used car dealer, there is a good chance it is a lease return from out of state and has the original battery. When I was researching availability of 2011 LEAF SLs to replace mine, I saw lots of them advertised and the ones with car fax data were all lease returns and most from out of state. You will enjoy driving it around town and you will really like the air conditioner next summer.

Gerry

dhanson865 said:
what's the VIN, it'd be interesting if you have an old leaf with the new battery in Arizona.

See if can follow the link in my signature to go to the bars lost list and try to find your car.

Could not locate mine on your list 06919.

GerryAZ said:
If you bought it from a used car dealer, there is a good chance it is a lease return from out of state and has the original battery. When I was researching availability of 2011 LEAF SLs to replace mine, I saw lots of them advertised and the ones with car fax data were all lease returns and most from out of state. You will enjoy driving it around town and you will really like the air conditioner next summer.

Gerry

I'm pretty sure it was from AZ. The navigation system had a Phoenix area "home" address. We'll see how it goes. It's experimental, I guess.

scole665 said:
Well, I got a 2011 Leaf for what I thought was a pretty good deal. It was 14.5K and 11 bars. The body was just about perfect and looks brand new. ...
Welcome :!:
14.5 K miles :?:
Hard to imagine a 2011 LEAF that spent all its time in Phoenix still having eleven capacity bars :?:

More likely imported from Pacific Northwest or possible long term capacity loss data was reset.

Well hi! I just bought my black 2011 leaf from a dealer in Scottsdale and the car resides in mesa. It has 29,000 miles and is down 2 bars. It will have a usual path of low 30ish miles per day. We have tried the route with full a/c but of course not hot temps yet. We had 3 bars left with that scenario. I have been into custom electric bicycles and motorcycles. I had been planning to build an electric car or cars. But...with these cars coming down in price i don't think I can build it any cheaper. Well it would have more battery capacity though... I am aching to give this car more capacity already. I've been feeling like the robot Number 5 in the movie Short Circuit. Ahh...More input! More input! Trying to learn this machine has been consuming more time than I have. Oh boy....Been wanting a Tesla but not sticker shock. Good luck with your new ride!

Evoforce said:
Well hi! I just bought my black 2011 leaf from a dealer in Scottsdale and the car resides in mesa. It has 29,000 miles and is down 2 bars. It will have a usual path of low 30ish miles per day. We have tried the route with full a/c but of course not hot temps yet. We had 3 bars left with that scenario. I have been into custom electric bicycles and motorcycles. I had been planning to build an electric car or cars. But...with these cars coming down in price i don't think I can build it any cheaper. Well it would have more battery capacity though... I am aching to give this car more capacity already. I've been feeling like the robot Number 5 in the movie Short Circuit. Ahh...More input! More input! Trying to learn this machine has been consuming more time than I have. Oh boy....Been wanting a Tesla but not sticker shock. Good luck with your new ride!

Did you buy yours from Red Rock? I saw they had one on the lot.

Back