sitting in the driveway

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonelyp

With all the snow we just got on the east coast my leaf is kinda burried. I hope I can get it out before spring.

A question I have is: should I have it plugged in while not being used?

It had a full charge when we had the fist storm. During the clean up of that it was unplugged and moved only short distance, but it hasn't been plugged back in. We had 2 storms since, and due to lack of space the snow is kinda piled behind the leaf, making it harder to get out. Now we are going into an extra cold snap.

So am I better off leaving it unplugged for now, or should I plug it back in until I can drive it again?

lonelyp said:
With all the snow we just got on the east coast my leaf is kinda burried. I hope I can get it out before spring.

A question I have is: should I have it plugged in while not being used?

It had a full charge when we had the fist storm. During the clean up of that it was unplugged and moved only short distance, but it hasn't been plugged back in. We had 2 storms since, and due to lack of space the snow is kinda piled behind the leaf, making it harder to get out. Now we are going into an extra cold snap.

So am I better off leaving it unplugged for now, or should I plug it back in until I can drive it again?
Best to leave it unplugged. Leaving it plugged-in can cause the 12 V battery to get discharged: the LEAF (older ones, at least) doesn't keep it topped off well and the overhead while plugged-in slowly drains it. The car can go weeks unplugged.

If you get an extended period of below zero temperatures the battery heater may come on but with a nearly full charge it can run for a long time. The battery heater should work down to about 30% SOC and it uses only 300 watts intermittently. If you can get to it, you might want to check on the car every few days to make sure all is well. If it is so cold that the battery heater comes on that might be a good time to plug the car in.

Back