Carry a Honda generator?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
burtondav said:
Does anyone carry a small Honda Generator in their Leaf?
Just in case.
To start off, it is DANGEROUS! No Gas fumes in the Leaf, please.

Also, you can get more charge just plugging into a 120v outlet than you can off a generator. And where do you ever think you will be somewhere there is no plug.

The leaf is a Local vehicle, not a long distance hauler. JMHO

Not everyone lives in a city with charge stations all over the place. So, yes, I carry my Honda generator when crossing the mountains and stretching the range. I leave it empty and carry an empty gas can so I can stop at a gas station if I realize that I can't make it to the top of a pass or a place to plug-in. I have to make this trip to get to the Nissan dealer for service, so it's not exactly "optional".

I've never had to use it, save for testing, thanks to being good at hypermiling and having Leaf DD (a meter that shows the energy content of my battery). The generator serves as a "security blanket". If reliable public charge stations proliferate it will become unnecessary. We are a long, long way from that where I live.

Be aware that you can't use a generator without a grounding plug:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5792r&start=47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dgpcolorado said:
Not everyone lives in a city with charge stations all over the place. So, yes, I carry my Honda generator when crossing the mountains and stretching the range. I leave it empty and carry an empty gas can so I can stop at a gas station if I realize that I can't make it to the top of a pass or a place to plug-in. I have to make this trip to get to the Nissan dealer for service, so it's not exactly "optional".

I've never had to use it, save for testing, thanks to being good at hypermiling and having Leaf DD (a meter that shows the energy content of my battery). The generator serves as a "security blanket". If reliable public charge stations proliferate it will become unnecessary. We are a long, long way from that where I live.

Be aware that you can't use a generator without a grounding plug:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5792r&start=47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you are stopping for gas, then the gas station has a plug. You know what rate it charges and can calculate the kwhrs used, so pay the business for the electricity used. Since it is so small they may just let you use it without paying. 40 miles at 4 miles/kwh = 10kwhrs. At $0.10/kwh it is $1.00, at $0.20 it is $2.00. If you can use 220v so much better than 110v with a generator, and 110v from the wall is still better than the generator.

Graffi said:
If you are stopping for gas, then the gas station has a plug. You know what rate it charges and can calculate the kwhrs used, so pay the business for the electricity used. Since it is so small they may just let you use it without paying. 40 miles at 4 miles/kwh = 10kwhrs. At $0.10/kwh it is $1.00, at $0.20 it is $2.00. If you can use 220v so much better than 110v with a generator, and 110v from the wall is still better than the generator.
That assumes that the gas station would let me charge. It also overlooks the possibility that if it is going to be close I could buy a half gallon of gas and if I make it to the top of the pass I can just pour it into the ICE car when I get home and skip the charge wait.

As for plugging into 120V being "better than the generator", yes, it's likely cheaper, if I could persuade someone to let me charge for a reasonable payment, but not any faster, save for the hassle of getting the generator out and running. Which is not something I look forward to doing at night when it is 10ºF outside. (You do realize that a 2000 W generator will easily charge at full L1 speed — 1.44 kW — right?)

I should point out that in the mountains, spruce and fir trees don't come with plugs. You either make it to the top of the pass or you have a "plan B" in place. My 92 mile trip home from the Nissan dealer involves 8000 feet of cumulative elevation gain. It is tough to do in winter.

However, your general point that the OP should just forget the generator, except for unusual circumstances, is likely valid. That is a decision for the OP.

Graffi said:
  • There's no guarantee the gas station has a plug, especially on the outside of the building.
  • There's no guarantee they'll be willing to let you use the plug, especially for hours.
  • If there is no plug outside, they may not want the tripping hazard of an extension cord run through the front door.
  • There is no guarantee the plug will be operational or that the breaker won't trip from pulling 12 amps continuous.

In my early days with the Leaf I used to ask businesses if I could plug in. So I speak from experience. And the most surprising thing is that about 50% of the time the outdoor plugs were not functioning and the business didn't even realize because those plugs never get used.

Until just recently, I used to live in a rural area. Head west or south, and there's nowhere to plug in. Maybe a farm house or a barn? Head north or east, and you'll probably find an outlet somewhere since that's heading toward the outer edge of the suburbs. You'll probably be able to get a charge faster by running out of juice and calling a tow truck (they are free, remember) than stopping and filling up on 120V via a generator.

I say bring the stock EVSE and an extension cord and a fully charged cell phone and you'll be good.

kubel said:
...I say bring the stock EVSE and an extension cord and a fully charged cell phone and you'll be good.
Assuming that you have cell phone reception, which is iffy or non-existent in many places around here... I'm not about to find out how many hours it would take to get a tow in the mountains at night in winter. Even at home — no cell phone reception in the house, by the way — it would take more than an hour to get a tow truck.

Better to plan ahead for contingencies and leave the towing for real emergencies, such as collisions or breakdowns. Running out of charge because of poor planning is not really an emergency. Sure, things are different in urban, suburban, or "exurban" areas. As you say, calling for a tow in such places is likely a lot faster than L1 charging @4 miles/hour.

One thing I'm curious about: can you really persuade the Nissan tow trucks to take you home, as opposed to a LEAF-certified Nissan dealer? Getting towed to a dealer is worse than useless if one is just heading home from a dealer. Some say they have been able to get towed home; the tow agreement seems to suggest otherwise.

What is this tow agreement you speak of? And 92 miles with 8000 ft elevation gain, is that all on one charge!??

Nfuzzy said:
What is this tow agreement you speak of? And 92 miles with 8000 ft elevation gain, is that all on one charge!??
Leaf purchasers/leasers have three years of free roadside assistance if stranded by running out of charge, lockout, flat tire, or other breakdown by calling 1-877-NO GAS EV. If the problem can't be fixed at the site, the car will be flatbed towed to the nearest LEAF-certified dealer. Warranty repairs also include a free rental car and lodging reimbursement if the breakdown is more than 100 miles from one's home. I presume that the new LEAFs still have the same roadside assistance plan that my 2012 does.

Yes, I did do that 92 miles, plus 8000 feet of cumulative gain (three mountain passes) on one charge in September 2012. I've never been able to do it in winter nor could I still do it in summer given my degraded battery. I found a motel near the halfway point (Silverton) that has 240 V and 120 V plugs that they let me use and I stay there on trips to the dealer in winter.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6330&start=47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do not carry a generator. I never have if you think will encounter scenarios like that often its just not worth it imo. Drive a different car.

Regarding the towing... I have had my Leaf towed twice because I ran out of energy. Once by AAA and once by Nissan. Both times it was my 'poor planning' or I just knowingly pushed it too far. Both times the towing company would only take me 5 miles. Both times I was less than 1 mile from the charging that I was trying to get to. It was my fault but it does not appear to me with a 2013 SV, that they will tow you very far for 'free'.

CMYK4Life said:
I do not carry a generator. I never have if you think will encounter scenarios like that often its just not worth it imo. Drive a different car.

+1

If really concerned carry a heavy duty extension cord, i cant think of any situation where a regular charger and heavy duty extension cord wouldn't do the trick in case of emergency.

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Husky-50-ft-12-3-SJTW-Extension-Cord-HD-277-576/100672785/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think people are forgetting something about these type of generators, especially like the one discussed in this thread. They are reasonably lightweight and compact enough, so that they can be truly "portable". They can be easily transported in ANY passenger vehicle, just like a jack and spare tire. Which are also only for emergency use, but a generator can be used for other "emergencies" too, such as a prolonged power outage at home. :mrgreen:

I don't carry a generator, but do have a 240 volt 7500 watt propane/gas generator that weighs about 130 lbs.

One propane tank will generate enough power to fill the leaf to 100%.

This is for my house, but if I every have an extended trip or a range issue I will bring it with along with a propane tank (no stinky fumes). If my wife and I ever run out of juice we will bring it in our other car (a Volt... we drive the leaf 80 percent of the time) and charge it up for however long is required.

I tested the 240 EV charger on it and it works well.

alphaterminus said:
Smarter Tools ST-GP7500DEB Propane/Gasoline Generator with Electric Start and Battery, 7500-watt
(899 at Amazon)

I would not expect that to last very long based on the price and power level. My guess is they start to break down quickly and require repair or replacement. There is no such thing as a good cheap generator.

EVDRIVER said:
I would not expect that to last very long based on the price and power level. My guess is they start to break down quickly and require repair or replacement. There is no such thing as a good cheap generator.
IIRC, one reason Phil ("Ingineer") suggested the Honda EU2000i was because it produced a good sine wave. Without the expertise to check it myself, I'd be reluctant to use a cheapo generator with the LEAF. I expect that there are some good 240 V generators available, but I don't know which ones qualify. Or maybe it doesn't matter at all; I don't know.

Back