LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll only buy another pure electric. Zero interest in a hybrid of any kind.

jamieo said:
I wonder how much of this is true: http://dailysunknoxville.com/2017-nissan-leaf-finally-surrenders-to-gas-like-volt/92009416

Nissan's has previously roadmapped a 1,750 kg barrier for entry into PHEV. They don't feel PHEV makes sense for lower weight, and they don't feel BEV makes sense for higher weight. This was under the Palmer regime. We will see PHEVs but I don't think they will bear the LEAF name and I don't think they will follow Hyundai's approach.

jamieo said:
I wonder how much of this is true: http://dailysunknoxville.com/2017-nissan-leaf-finally-surrenders-to-gas-like-volt/92009416
Not much. The reporter mangled Nissan's remarks almost beyond recognition.

Nissan has said the second generation LEAF will be a BEV, and any ICE in other Nissan BEVs will probably be a generator in a BEVx, rather than in a PHEV.
edatoakrun:

Nissan has stated that it plans to continue to produce multiple BEVs, including the LEAF, as well as at least one BEVx, which is the subject of this thread...
Nissan's e-Power range-extended BEV, for sale by 3/31/17 in Japan

"It will utilize a new e-Power system that matches the agility, quietness, strong acceleration and efficiency of the Nissan Leaf."

Its biggest difference from the Leaf will be the engine. When the proposed new car's battery runs low, a gasoline engine will kick in to recharge it, giving the car a longer range...

Toshiyuki Nakajima, a manager at Nissan's advanced vehicle engineering department, said the e-Power system has several advantages.

The system should be less expensive because its battery doesn't need to store as much power as a pure EV battery does, and so it can be smaller, he said...

Similarly, the engine doesn't need to be as big as on a traditional gasoline-powered car. The engine on the range-extender hybrid will serve only as a generator and can be tuned to continuously operate within it range of peak efficiency...
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22166

="kubel"
Nissan's has previously roadmapped a 1,750 kg barrier for entry into PHEV. They don't feel PHEV makes sense for lower weight, and they don't feel BEV makes sense for higher weight...
If you read the source (?) for that statement today, this ~two year old article, you might conclude the writer missed what Andy Palmer was Actually hinting at...

... it would be a new and separately engineered system that might, for instance, use a 80-kilowatt (108-horsepower) Nissan Leaf electric motor--giving Nissan significant economies of scale after building a few hundred thousand Leafs. (The total as of last month is 115,000.)

That motor could be paired with a gasoline engine, presumably downsized, and a smaller battery derived from the Leaf's current 24-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion pack...
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1092490_nissan-to-launch-plug-in-hybrids-too-in-less-than-two-years

I hope autonews has this wrong.

I was actually hoping the complete blackout on gen 2 LEAF info from Nissan might mean an official reveal was coming in the near-future.

Would anyone have believed back in 2010 that Nissan would try to get even the more-than-six years it already has out of its first gen BEV?

Please Nissan, do not think that just putting a new nose on the gen one is enough of an update for the LEAF to sell it for ~three more years.

On the positive side, the fact that such an old design still leads BEV model sales world-wide, may be evidence that the LEAF was well designed in the first place.

Or alternately, that other manufactures haven't advanced their BEV designs very significantly since...

...Leaf: Engineers are at work on the second generation of the electric Leaf, which likely will show up in late 2018 or early 2019. The critical change for Gen 2 will be improving the driving range of the Leaf's lithium ion battery, which currently claims an EPA-approved rating equivalent of 114 mpg combined city and highway on a full battery charge. Competitors including General Motors and Tesla have eclipsed Nissan on driving range in the past two years. Nissan has signaled that its next Leaf will have a range of close to 300 miles. The car will be lighter, with an increased use of carbon fiber, and permit hands-free recharging, allowing owners to simply park over an inductive-system floor mat that does the charging automatically...
http://www.autonews.com/article/20160725/OEM04/307259989/1657

jamieo said:

Doing a full parallel series hybrid like a Volt or the Prius Prime is MUCH harder than a series hybrid like the i3 REx. I doubt that Nissan would go through that much effort.

Designing a longer range EV is counter to designing a plugin hybrid.

The dailysunknoxville article is rubbish. Carlos Ghosn has twice so far clearly stated clearly that the range extender model Nissan will release is seperate to the Leaf and that the Leaf name will only be associated with BEV's.
Secondly, if you read through some of the articles the dailysunknoxville has released over the years, they are riddled with mistakes and assumptions and are niether based on facts or media releases. They are just a rehash of poor opinions.

Also, Carlos earlier in the year, stated that this December we would see where the next Leaf would be going. Whilst he didnt specify if this would be a reveal of the new model or an actual product release, he was very specific. This is also why I feel a 40kw/h upgrade to the Leaf may be only a rumour - but I've been wrong before and I'm sure I'll be wrong again.

Interesting times ahead.

Was Elon Musk was right about the cooling of the Leaf pack... This is from 2010...
Tesla Motors (s TSLA) CEO Elon Musk has derided Nissan’s battery pack, which uses an air cooling system, as “primitive” compared with the sophistication of even Tesla’s first prototype, which uses liquid cooling. As a result, the LEAF pack will have temperatures “all over the place,” claimed Musk, causing it to suffer “huge degradation”

gadyamit said:
Was Elon Musk was right about the cooling of the Leaf pack...
Yes and no.. ;-)
Yes, the cooling in the Leaf is primitive.
Yes, the Tesla cooling is more elegant.
In some situations, the Leaf battery can degrade significantly because of this.

That being said, in a lot of areas where it isn't very hot, degradation due to heat is minimal compared to degradation do to aging.
(There's a great battery aging chart somewhere on this site..)

The Tesla style of cooling is much more complicated and adds costs to the car.. Not a big deal if you are spending Tesla money.
But if you are spending Leaf money??? Maybe, maybe not...
Hard to tell..

I'm sure most people in hot climates would have preferred a more active thermal management system.
A lot of people in the Pacific Northwest (or UK, etc), maybe not. And if they were told it was going to raise the price of the car $XXXX???

And, if someone (Nissan or whomever) can come up with a more primitive system of cooling that, combined with battery chemistry and other factors, works much better in warmer climates and keeps costs down, that would be a win-win. (Just to be clear, the Leaf isn't that.. ;-) .. yet)

Also, if someone comes up with some type of battery swap method that means end users wouldn't worry about battery degradation (the manufacturer would just work it into their recycling / re-purposing), it would also be a moot point, although I don't see the market going that way..

desiv

After reading what Musk has said I dig a little deeper ... http://www.hybridcars.com/bmw-and-lg-chem-trump-tesla-in-battery-thermal-management/

I'm now sure that Leaf "primitive" even for small money is NOT justifiable... coming from a warm area it is obvious around here.

Bottom line I'm sure (and hope) that the future pack of all electric car will have system like the link above...
;)

gadyamit said:
Bottom line I'm sure (and hope) that the future pack of all electric car will have system like the link above...

I hope not. If battery chemistry improves to give better lifetime, then cheap and simple passive cooling will be the best choice for most people.

It is complex, as well. I'm not at all sure.

Cooling is not free. Costs money and energy. Same with cooling systems.

What's the minimum cost? Well, depends on lots of details and circumstances.

Interesting article - future charge rates of 200 + KW! Appears charge stations will need to be located near electrical substations just to get the voltage requirements. The "standard" of QC stations fed by 480 VAC may not be adequate. I doubt flexible cables can be used from the charger to the car - requiring standardized automated/mechanical systems. If so, why not add the cooling systems as part of the UQC station.

Is it time to do the impossible (if we are serious about EV evolution), and standardize modular battery packs for "slide-in" replacement. Carrying the extra "baggage" of cooling for ultra fast charging (not required for actual operation on the road), could drive the EV revolution in that direction. The "current" (tongue in cheek) gas stations could remove the useless drive thru wash station with an automated battery change-out station. Batteries could be recharged at a reasonable rates and stored in perfect conditions. Modular battery packs (say in 20 KWH increments) could be easily handled automatically, or physically by one person if needed.

As the song goes "dream on - dream on".

my dream:
Its time for new battery. . . the battery is drained. I drive up to a battery station. I pull out 4 drained battery briefcases from trunk. I put the briefcases into a vending machine. The machine verifies the briefcases. I push a few buttons, requesting 4 new batteries. I get 4 batteries from the machine. I put the batteries back to docking in the trunk. Off I go. Another 100 miles on my 400miles journey from San Francisco to LA disneyland.
I forgot to tell you: I do not own the batteries. They belong to the battery company. I pay for the charge and wear and tear of the battery.

dream on ... dream on ... dream on ...

soldcake said:
my dream:
Its time for new battery. . . the battery is drained. I drive up to a battery station. I pull out 4 drained battery briefcases from trunk. I put the briefcases into a vending machine. The machine verifies the briefcases. I push a few buttons, requesting 4 new batteries. I get 4 batteries from the machine. I put the batteries back to docking in the trunk. Off I go..
Nice, but will require some significant tech issues.. Notably, weight..
The Leaf pack is around 400 - 650 pounds (depending on what you consider the pack and different google results.. ;-).

But maybe eventually, if you are really patient.. ;-)

desiv

desiv said:
soldcake said:
my dream:
Its time for new battery. . . the battery is drained. I drive up to a battery station. I pull out 4 drained battery briefcases from trunk. I put the briefcases into a vending machine. The machine verifies the briefcases. I push a few buttons, requesting 4 new batteries. I get 4 batteries from the machine. I put the batteries back to docking in the trunk. Off I go..
Nice, but will require some significant tech issues.. Notably, weight..
The Leaf pack is around 400 - 650 pounds (depending on what you consider the pack and different google results.. ;-).

But maybe eventually, if you are really patient.. ;-)

desiv
Meanwhile: http://inhabitat.com/green-cell-universal-battery-sold-in-vending-machines/

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZi0DZITlVM

Never mind batteries, I'm still waiting for Amazon to deliver my Mr. Fusion(tm)!

gadyamit said:
Was Elon Musk was right about the cooling of the Leaf pack... This is from 2010...
Tesla Motors (s TSLA) CEO Elon Musk has derided Nissan’s battery pack, which uses an air cooling system, as “primitive” compared with the sophistication of even Tesla’s first prototype, which uses liquid cooling. As a result, the LEAF pack will have temperatures “all over the place,” claimed Musk, causing it to suffer “huge degradation”

The initial Tesla pack wasn't all unicorns and rainbows. Their vaunted thermal system was a huge vampire drain, and customers lost entire packs when they left their vehicles unplugged and unattended for even fairly short periods of time, in contrast with LEAF which can easily go months without significant SOC losses. Tesla have definitely improved, but there is still a vampire drain to this day. Engineering tradeoffs. In total, I prefer Nissan's approach.

So...getting back to the original topic of the Leaf 2, I was at my local Nissan dealership today to get a replacement tire inflation kit for the Leaf, and the parts guy started asking me how I like the car, do I like driving electric, etc. Pretty good conversation, then out of the blue he says the pictures they have been shown of the next gen Leaf make it appear to be a really sharp looking car, and they have been told by Nissan to expect roughly twice the range of the current Leaf. He went on to say it would go on sales either in 2017 or 2018.
Not exactly earth shattering news if you read the various EV sites, but a kind of confirmation of the strong rumors that have been circulating about Leaf 2. And he simply volunteered this info, I wasn't fishing for anything. I found it interesting.

Twice the range? Hmm. That's 168 miles. In practice it's not very different from 200 miles. Would that 16% difference make a huge dent in sales? Maybe. 200 Mike's send to be a psychological barrier. I may still bite at 168 if the price is right and the AC network grows.

Or maybe he means twice the 107? That would be 214, and more in line with what we've been expecting.

Could it be that both rumors of 40kWh and 60kWh batteries are correct? That these are the new options for the Leaf?

Hope/almost sure, that the battery pack for version 2 will have cooling system... which will improve the stability of the pack to sustain hot weather.

gadyamit said:
Hope/almost sure, that the battery pack for version 2 will have cooling system... which will improve the stability of the pack to sustain hot weather.
To date, Nissan has been adamant that they weren't going to use active cooling systems on the LEAF, but did at least install a limited air cooling one on the e-NV200 van: http://insideevs.com/heres-nissan-employs-active-air-cooling-e-nv200-battery-pack/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back