GM Office Chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolfilmaker

A few thousand feet away from the first new Costco EVSEs, GM just installed a menagerie of new and old EVSEs and also a frankenplug QC.

GM3SfrP.jpg

It's in Torrance. I assume that it will be available for public use once they turn it on. Take note that this is NOT a CHAdeMO charger.

Looking at the photo, this could be a good place to start. I didn't realize Aker Wade made DC fast chargers, in fact I have never heard of the company before. What's even more interesting is that they would depict the LEAF and the iMiEV in their marketing material. Where is the Spark?

Click to open

coolfilmaker said:

"GM exited bankruptcy in 2009 after the federal government saved the company from possible liquidation in the wake of the global financial crisis.

Visnic [edit: he is an Edmonds.com guy] noted that GM's decision to move the ATC comes as the broader industry rethinks the future of electric vehicles amid weak sales because of the the high price tag and limited range.

"It's possible that some of the steam has gone out of the electric vehicle movement," Visnic said.

In 2011, GM spent $1.1 million on a facility adjacent to the ATC that the car company uses as a center to test its new vehicle technologies under California's weather and traffic conditions. That testing center will remain in Torrance, GM spokesman Dave Barthmus said."

What's funny is neither standard will probably end up winning. Changing the plug is easy so all these will get retrofitted eventually, probably to whatever standard Walmart installs.

Back