Gauging interest for ELM327’s modified for EV Bus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairwoodRed

I’m thinking about placing a bulk order for some ELM327 mini’s (the shortest model) and modifying them to listen to the EV CAN bus. I plan to have an option of using either the always on 12V or the switched 12V. I’ve already modified my sample one and am in the process of testing it. I did the mod by soldering three bypass wires and cutting the original path.

I hope to be able do it for close to my cost, at about $15 shipped. My biggest unknown is how many to order initially. If I can get the cost down to $15 shipped, would you want one? Would you also want it changed to switched 12V power? I’m not looking for any firm commitments, just level of interest. It’s likely to be over a month before any are ready.

edit:The below warning was provided by Turbo3.

W A R N I N G
This warning is for those who have a modified ELM that connects to the EV-CAN instead of the CAR-CAN.

To prevent a possible EV fault always exit the app before turning the car off.

I will post when an app is available that support connection to the EV-CAN.

For now there is no advantage to connection to the EV-CAN and some risk for causing an EV Fault (P312A).

I'd buy one. I've got a mini now, but my soldering skills are where they were when I built a transistor radio 50 years ago. Bad.

I am definitely interested at any reasonable price! Last time I did soldering was when I built a Heathkit shortwave radio in my early teens (a long time ago). One question: would the switched version be able to log while the Leaf had one of the blue charge lights on or flashing, or only when the Leaf is in Ready mode? That would be the main decision factor for me on which version to get.

I would like one, if you decide to do this.

Using switched 12v power would keep it from running the battery dead right ?

Stoaty said:
One question: would the switched version be able to log while the Leaf had one of the blue charge lights on or flashing, or only when the Leaf is in Ready mode?

It can be thought of as accessory mode, so only if the Leaf is "on". While you can turn your Leaf "on" while charging, most people do not. By and large, you want "always on" to log while charging, not switched power.

Sometimes you order the "same" thing from the same vendor,
and you get different "devices", and some work well, and some
do not. Actually different circuit boards inside. So, CAUTION.
However, good luck.

How did you manage to get the "mini" ELM327-type device
enclosure apart, and put it back together, please?

It seems to me that the "stubby" is a lot easier and faster to modify.

jackal said:
Interested too. I would like a switch definitely.
Not sure if the reference was to running on switched or unswitched power supply (two different modifications of ELM327) or to have a DPDT switch so you can do it manually. I presume the former.

bowthom said:
Hello,
I would like one.............. I am all Mac however..........
Run android in Parallels and you can join the party... Check the link below for the John Harris explication...

http://on.fb.me/17PXOkb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

+1 At a reasonable paypal all in cost to my door, I would also be interested...

Even though I just received my mini dongle yesterday, I'd definitely be interested in one if there is also CAN software/Android app available to get a true GID reading. At 17,000+ miles, the Leaf Battery App is saying I am at 87.5% capacity, but I just don't know how accurate that is. :?

garygid said:
Sometimes you order the "same" thing from the same vendor,
and you get different "devices", and some work well, and some
do not. Actually different circuit boards inside. So, CAUTION.
However, good luck.

How did you manage to get the "mini" ELM327-type device
enclosure apart, and put it back together, please?

It seems to me that the "stubby" is a lot easier and faster to modify.

I expected it to be glued or otherwise sealed, but it was not. The sample I had just used 4 plastic "friction tabs" holding the bottom to the top. I used a razor blade to make the initial split and then used a good screwdriver to finish the seperation. The stubby probably is easier to modify, but I've had enough of things sticking down and bruching against my shin, so I'm focusing on the smallest one. It wasn't that hard to do.

I'm not in it to make a ton of money, so I'll make up and post an instruction guide in the future (photos and all) for anyone that want's to do thier own. I'm targeting those who want someone to do it for them.

Something I would love to see: a product similar to these ELM327s but that could be piggy-backed.

I'm thinking that with the approriate socket connector, it should be possible to pass-through all the pins except the ones you specifically want to tap. One for the EV bus, pass all the other pins straight through. One for the Car bus, pass all the other pins straight through. Stack them together and you end up with 2 (or 3) bluetooth transmitters to pair with; you select the transmitter for the bus that you want to listen to.

Just a daydream, but I thought I'd put it out there in case there was a product like this available (or someone more skilled than I could produce).

Cheers, Bert

I'd take one.

Unless it can power up when the can buss is active, kind of like the display on my Lincomatic does which allows it to be active during charging when the car is off, I'd opt for always on...

rickbecker said:
I would order one.

Are these individually tested, or is this just a bulk order for a modified unit?

I have over two dozen ELM327-type devices from about 5 different vendors
(and re-orders from the same vendor) and have found some that do
not work well, or not consistantly.

Even when re-ordered from my presumed "best" source, I
got two different circuit boards, and one seems to work
poorly, and the other appears to work well. Fortunately,
I got 15 of the "good" and only 2 of the "bad" from that source.

I ordered a lot of 20 from China. It'll be a few more weeks before they arrive and I see for sure what I got. Then I'll work out the details of modifying the set I received and do some testing. I'll post some updates later.

Back