Gauging interest for ELM327’s modified for EV Bus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received mine from Brian yesterday (arrived in padded envelope, Gary, wrapped in anti-static bag w/ software disc) and plugged it in the OBDII port today, fired up my Nexus 7 tablet with the Leaf battery app installed, paired the device in the Bluetooth settings using a PIN of "1234" and opened the app, chose the OBDII device from the menu, and it connected quickly with no problems (100% successful Reads reported in the app). I can now see data about my Leaf battery that has been a mystery to me up until now! I'm a happy camper (except for seeing that my estimated battery capacity is at 83.36% after 26 months and 32K miles. :cry: )

Thanks, Brian! Well worth the $16.
TT

gsleaf said:
So this would let me see my batter status with my iPhone? If so how do I get one?
The Leaf Battery app works on Android devices, not iPhone. There is another app for Windows phones, but I don't know of any for Apple devices yet. There are standalone devices you can buy, though.
Watch this thread for developments: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=13324
and read through the various threads in the Leaf CanBus forum. to understand the different possibilities for monitoring your battery status. The ELM327 device and the Leaf Battery app were the quickest and cheapest way for me, since I already had an Android tablet, but YMMV.

TT

TomT said:
I got my modified ELM327 from Brian today (thanks!) but I am having a problem pairing it... My phone (Samsung S3) is seeing the OBDII BT device and asks for a pin to pair it, but neither of the pins I am aware of (0000 and 1234) work, giving an incorrect pin error... Is there a another pin I am not aware of I should try?

Thanks!

-Tom
You can try 6789, but if he tested it, I would have thought he'd have told you if it were different.

Took me a couple of tries. I had to have the Bluetooth discovery mode on the phone ready when I plugged in the modified ELM. I used 1234.

Remember to select the new OBDII in the app to use the new one.

Sometimes pairing appears to only be possible within about the
first 30 seconds after the ELM327 device is plugged in.

And it might take several tries, all done in a few seconds.

Or, re-power the ELM327 device.

Making the PHONE discoverable is not necessary, in my experience.

W A R N I N G
This warning is for those who have a modified ELM that connects to the EV-CAN instead of the CAR-CAN.

To prevent a possible EV fault always exit the app before turning the car off.

I will post when an app is available that support connection to the EV-CAN.

For now there is no advantage to connection to the EV-CAN and some risk for causing an EV Fault (P312A).

If one kicks the fault code how is it reset?
Turbo3 said:
W A R N I N G
This warning is for those who have a modified ELM that connects to the EV-CAN instead of the CAR-CAN.

For now there is no advantage to connection to the EV-CAN and some risk for causing an EV Fault (P312A).

Perhaps the good old disconnect the 12 volt battery trick from year's past...

JimSouCal said:
Turbo3 said:
W A R N I N G

JimSouCal said:
Turbo3 said:
W A R N I N G

I think it might go away by itself after a power on/off cycle or drive cycle. As long as you don't leave the app running after you turn the car off.

I just don't want a lot of people causing this error, going to Nissan service where they will find nothing wrong. After a while Nissan will want to look into the root cause.

I think I know the cause and how to avoid it. Just need time to include the code into the app. So for now don't leave the app running after you turn off the car. You have over 20 seconds so you should be able to avoid this issue. Most people probably walk out of Bluetooth range in this time and break the connection which also works to avoid the problem.
=====================
Ok, now that I think about it if the ELM power has been moved from the always on +12 to the switched +12 this should also avoid the issue as the ELM will be powered off.

Turbo3 said:
Ok, now that I think about it if the ELM power has been moved from the always on +12 to the switched +12 this should also avoid the issue as the ELM will be powered off.

I was wondering if that would be the case and was looking forward to getting mine so I could see how to replicate this error.

Turbo3 said:
W A R N I N G

I've posted about this a few times and I figured out how to avoid the EVS light by myself. The light will go out if you exit the App, then turn the car back to On or Ready, then open the App again. Before I use my EV modded dongle again, I'm going to move the wire to switched On instead of always on.

TomT said:
Perhaps the good old disconnect the 12 volt battery trick from year's past...

No, no battery reset is needed.

JimSouCal said:
Turbo3 said:
W A R N I N G

Ecoobsessive, Check out the other thread for how to order one. I ran thru my initial shipment fulfilling early hand raisers and I’m waiting on another shipment that is expected the week of July 9th. Send me an email as listed in the above thread and I’ll add you to the waiting list.

Tbleakne, There is no way for the ELM to wake up when charging, but in its normal config it is always on and that would let you see the SOC while charging. The Switched 12volt mod I was offering tied into the Switched 12 volt power already available on the DLC and was aimed at those who were concerned their small battery would drain down if the car sat for several days.

I say was offering because the Switched mod is not working as expected. The ELM clearly stays powered on when checked shortly after the LEAF is powered down. I have more investigating to do, so I’m holding on those orders while I see what I can see. Hopefully I’ll have more news by tomorrow.

Vicki, See the other thread and send me an email. I’ll get you on the list.

Gary, A package deal is a great idea. I’ll get some more headed my way so I can offer that. I’ll work up some details and post them in the other thread.

gsleaf, Part of the problem with the iPhone is that Apple limits some of the two way file transfer functionality available via Bluetooth. Without that functionality, no software or hardware in the world is going to help and you won’t get all the bells that LEAFbatt offeres. It looks like if you Jailbreak an iPhone that you can something working, but not too many will do that, so I wouldn’t expect much development until Apple makes a change.

Tom, All of my non-sample adaptors use the same pairing code of 1234. I’ll add that to my FAQ in the other thread. It’s a boon and a bane. It does mean that I don’t have to change any of my setup when testing, just unplug one adapter and plug another in. It’s a bane, because that means there is no way to try to “stack” two of them (either with soldering or a Y cable) so that either bus would be available by selecting a different pairing. But that’s for future efforts anyway.

Turbo3, Thanks for the heads up on the warning. I haven’t run into it myself, but I’m adding it to the first post of both threads.

This sounds like a similar situation to the unit that is sold with an OEM on/off switch but which clearly does not actually power down when turned off (the on/off switch appears to only turn off the BT RF transmit signal and the unit remains warm so clearly it is still powerd up). I believe Mwalsh got one of those...

So, for those of us with the EV Buss version, I assume that it would likely still be a good idea to exit the App before powering off the car to prevent a possible EV error code being set?

I hope to unplug the unit this morning and re-power it to see if I can get it to pair... I waited a while yesterday after I installed it to pair and that may be the issue...

FairwoodRed said:
I say was offering because the Switched mod is not working as expected. The ELM clearly stays powered on when checked shortly after the LEAF is powered down. I have more investigating to do, so I’m holding on those orders while I see what I can see. Hopefully I’ll have more news by tomorrow.

TomT said:
I hope to unplug the unit this morning and re-power it to see if I can get it to pair... I waited a while yesterday after I installed it to pair and that may be the issue...

Yeah, that very first pairing you do with the ELM has to take place within 90 seconds IIRC. Once the first pairing is done, it's generally not an issue after that.

Back