Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you tap the bottom right corner status area that will freeze the screen so touching it does not change anything.

The two "A/C=off" messages at the bottom right side of the Fan icon will be gone in the final version.

Sorry that I wasn't clear.

Want to disable the ability to change portions of the display on page 3 from that page. For example, sometimes the miles remaining gets changed to LBW instead of .05kWh without conscious effort when picking up or moving the phone.

Hope this is clearer.

BTW, Thank you again for this fabulous app. It is more and more invaluable as my capacity declines.

Turbo3 said:
Ambient temperature is only valid when the Leaf is on (not charging) and only displayed when F units are selected.

During a charge the Leaf always reports ambient as 31. I guess I should block displaying ambient while charging.

The Leaf reports Ambient in Fahrenheit for US Leafs but I don't know what units it reports for a metric Leaf so the app disables displaying it. If someone with a metric Leaf can confirm that the ambient is displayed correctly in Fahrenheit then I can just convert F to C and display it in C. Taking a US Leaf and switching the display units to C does not count. Must be a Leaf solid in Europe or a country with a default unit of C. The units Leaf uses on the CAN bus are not consistent. For odometer it always uses km no matter where the Leaf is sold. Using F for temperature is very strange which makes me wonder if it is country specific. Perhaps they got a good price on a temperature sensor in F and use it in all countries. Just don't know. But normally temperature sensor vary by resistance and a processor needs to map from raw resistance to units.
When charging the ambient display is NOT always 31.
Recently I observed 24, which was pretty close to the C value for the 77F ambient at that time.

And then today while charging the ambient was initially showing 24, but then later while still charging and after turning the LEAF On and Off a couple times, it started displaying the correct 77F ambient matching the eyebrow display all while still charging.

Not sure which Canbus value you are reading for ambient, but it does some strange inconsistent things while charging.
Sometimes correct, sometimes appearing to be C value for ambient when F units are selected in the app.

Looks like the SOC value isn't being updated as frequently in the test version - the graph has stairsteps. During a QC, the Gids reading at "Magenta=" would increase every couple of seconds but the SOC at "Red=" increased much less often, and with much bigger jumps.

Attachments

• 2015-07-01-18-03-36.jpg
    2015-07-01-18-03-36.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 61
DaveInAvl said:
Looks like the SOC value isn't being updated as frequently in the test version - the graph has stairsteps. During a QC, the Gids reading at "Magenta=" would increase every couple of seconds but the SOC at "Red=" increased much less often, and with much bigger jumps.
Dave, can you send me the ErrData.txt file in the Debug folder. Also next time turn on ELM Trace while charging and send me that file too.

Turbo3 said:
Dave, can you send me the ErrData.txt file in the Debug folder. Also next time turn on ELM Trace while charging and send me that file too.
Will do. It'll take a couple of days to put on some miles to QC again. I presume I can just upload the files to the forum as I did that screenshot.

Turbo3 said:
Just uploaded test version 0.36.72 of LeafSpy Pro with the new Climate Control status at the bottom of screen 3.

Please have a look at screen 3 while CC is on and check the alignment of all the icons in both orientations.
Nice feature addition.
Works well in both orientations.

Displays that when you change mode to defrost it forces recirculation off and into fresh air. Not what I think it should do but what Nissan programmed.

One unusual observation.
When I was sitting in the car and turned on Climate Control using Carwings it did not show the HVAC status. Stayed blank like it was not running, even though it was.

I was only doing that to see if I could get AC to run.
LEAF had been to Turtle and High Voltage disconnect.
Even though LEAF was charged back to way more than VLBW, I could not get AC to run.
Just like putting the car in Ready mode following HV disconnect requires charging back to near VLBW, something like 21 GID; HV disconnect must lock out HVAC operation.
But possible if I had stopped charging and put it in Ready mode, that might have allowed HVAC to run.
But Carwings Climate Control did work without doing that.

One comment.
You show AC for running status.
It is actually HVAC running status as it does not change if you raise set point to 90 and start the heater.
If the Canbus Codes differentiate between AC or Heat or Both, it would be good to show that.
Indication that Heat is operating would be useful on a 2011 that hasn't had the HVAC controls modified yet.

If you could give button in LEAF Spy Pro to force the heater off like the ventilation controls mod does that would be really great.
But I recognize that may not be possible and somewhat beyond intended functionality of LEAF Spy Pro.

Again thanks for the incredible work and the new function.

I would like everyone to run a test using the fastest frame transfer rate. To do this go to the Settings/Option panel and set the "Multi Frame Delay" to "00 = fastest, no delay".

Connect to Leaf and after a test drive go to the Settings/Statistics panel and report the Good/Bad Frames value and Successful rate.

If the success rate is not close to 100% report the device you are using. In this case also reset the frame delay back to what you were using before and do a similar test and report the Statistics values you get with it.

Kyocera Event- success rate of 100% with 1 Retry after 89911 Good Frames. 0 Bad Frames and 0 Bad Hex.

Turbo3 said:
I would like everyone to run a test using the fastest frame transfer rate. To do this go to the Settings/Option panel and set the "Multi Frame Delay" to "00 = fastest, no delay".

Connect to Leaf and after a test drive go to the Settings/Statistics panel and report the Good/Bad Frames value and Successful rate.

If the success rate is not close to 100% report the device you are using. In this case also reset the frame delay back to what you were using before and do a similar test and report the Statistics values you get with it.

LeafSpy Pro testers can now install and test version 0.36.73.

- Fix bug that prevented displaying Japanese VIN
- Removed Multi-Frame option. OBDII now runs at max speed
- For Climate Control status, when heater is active A/C will change to HVAC and if you use AUTO then AUTO will change to AUTO #
- Ambient temperature will now display in Centigrade if those units are selected.

With regard to some TPM systems, the wheel sensors 'sleep' until a pressure change beyond their limits occurs
or the TPM ECU requests a pressure update which occurs infrequently unless the driver can access the ECU
and request a pressure update via the instrument cluster. This functionality attempts to maximize the
TPM sensor's battery life. This functionality assumption was made based on testing some european vehicles,
i.e. Porsche, BMW, but it's unknown whether the Leaf's TPM system functions accordingly.

When using LeafSpyPro and accessing the tire pressure screen, should one avoid frequent use, e.g. daily,
of that LeafSpyPro screen to avoid affecting the TPM sensors' battery lives?

lorenfb said:
When using LeafSpyPro and accessing the tire pressure screen, should one avoid frequent use, e.g. daily,
I think once the tires begin rotating and the LEAF begins communicating with them they stay on until you turn the LEAF Off, so I don't think use of LEAF Spy Pro has any impact.
What the TPMS is doing for safety isn't changed by LEAF Spy Pro.

I had a leak and used it to monitor pressure to know when to stop to pump the tire back up.
Even when I stopped and left the LEAF on the falling pressure updated about every 15 to 20 seconds.
My guess is the NHTSA standard includes some update frequency requirement.

TimLee said:
I think once the tires begin rotating and the LEAF begins communicating with them they stay on until you turn the LEAF Off, so I don't think use of LEAF Spy Pro has any impact.

Right, which implies that the TPM sensors will be transmitting more than normal potentially reducing their
battery lives. Thanks for the your experience about the functionality.

lorenfb said:
With regard to some TPM systems, the wheel sensors 'sleep' until a pressure change beyond their limits occurs
or the TPM ECU requests a pressure update which occurs infrequently unless the driver can access the ECU
and request a pressure update via the instrument cluster. This functionality attempts to maximize the
TPM sensor's battery life. This functionality assumption was made based on testing some european vehicles,
i.e. Porsche, BMW, but it's unknown whether the Leaf's TPM system functions accordingly.

Use of LeafSpy has no affect on TPMS life. The TPMS units in each wheel have no direct communications with LeafSpy.

The TPMS decides on its own when it will communicate. Neither the Leaf nor LeafSpy send any data to the TPMS units. It is totally one way TPMS to Leaf (or any other device listening to the correct frequency used by the TPMS). There are only three ways the TPMS starts transmitting data: tire rotates, sudden pressure change and by command with a special handheld service tool.

LeafSpy only asks the Leaf for the most recent pressure data it has received from the TPMS units. If the Leaf has it it returns the data otherwise it returns zeros.

Back