Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhh that is that sound i hear behind me when it shuts down.

That would certainly explain why leaf spy stops counting. Did it again tonight sent logs (before i read this)

Would be nice to reset 0% to equal .5kwh since that really is 0% of "usable" power :)

Now i know at 29' with heat at 75' i can make my 53mile trip home with a bit over 1.6 usable kwh remaining (2.1 indicated) this is charged to 18.3kwh and preheating the car on mains power first.

The trace shows about 5 seconds after the Gids drop to 3 the A/C and Heater power drop to zero and the 12 volt battery current shoots up to 15 amps (cycles around 8 to 15 Amps). Also the high resolution SOC value stops decreasing which is a good indicator that no more power is coming from the battery and the reason the Wh counter stops counting. Leaf continues to send data to Leaf Spy for about 3 1/2 minutes more until the Leaf Power Switch is pressed turning the Leaf off.

ihWRlr.png

I do see some issues on the cell graph due to the high cell differences of 442 mV. The Histogram also has problems displaying the cell data. This is running Leaf Spy in emulation mode where I feed it data from the traces nerys sent me. The ELM version 1.6 is fake as it comes from the emulator.

I was surprised to see it has less than 10,000 miles for a 2012. No Q-Charge port either.

Don't know if you had corrected this but in Android 5.0 (Lollipop), the little red triangle/arrowheads for the battery graphic on screen four are extremely large and no longer align with the battery graphic correctly (the top triangle is moving into the battery and the bottom is separated. The bottom triangle also covers ~50% of the numbers at the bottom (it sits behind them fortunately) on the kWh remaining and the Watt usage.

Screenshot_2014-11-21-07-45-47.png

Not for long. Will be over 10'000 very shortly :)

You can read odometer? Can you add a trip meter split with range so i can say enter 53miles and have it count down to 0 using car odometer not gps so i can verify matchup between what is left of my trip and what the system thinks i can do. Would be nice.

So where we have miles left shrink that and have another one above it where if i touch it i can set the miles.

nerys said:
Not for long. Will be over 10'000 very shortly :)

You can read odometer? Can you add a trip meter split with range so i can say enter 53miles and have it count down to 0 using car odometer not gps so i can verify matchup between what is left of my trip and what the system thinks i can do. Would be nice.

So where we have miles left shrink that and have another one above it where if i touch it i can set the miles.
Here is what I have added.

If you do a long click on the estimated remaining distance it will be moved into a countdown counter. This count will be displayed in the user selectable data area top left of the battery graphic. You can tap this area to cycle through all the available data options.

Odometer is in km so there is some rounding error in converting miles and factional km to a whole number of km as you can see in the display. Here the "miles to go" gets converted to whole km to load the countdown counter and then back to miles to be displayed.

XwWlja.png

Pipcecil said:
Don't know if you had corrected this but in Android 5.0 (Lollipop), the little red triangle/arrowheads for the battery graphic on screen four are extremely large and no longer align with the battery graphic correctly (the top triangle is moving into the battery and the bottom is separated. The bottom triangle also covers ~50% of the numbers at the bottom (it sits behind them fortunately) on the kWh remaining and the Watt usage.
You might want to update your post with a lower res picture.

When my Nexus 7 gets updated to Lollipop I will see what I can do to fix that.

Just to let you know. 0.34.51 (on my Sprint Note II) does NOT initialize the battery voltage or kW (above the bar graph on screen 4), OR the temps (all are the same temps) until I go to screen 1 at least once.....once I do, the batt voltage and kW are updated, but never update again (they stay what whatever was seen when it went to screen 1)...

Turbo3 said:
Due to the number of problems being reported from people who cannot access the settings menu because their phone does not have a Menu button I am adding a Menu button function to the upper right corner of the screen.

The Samsung Galaxy S5 is one such phone.

Here is what it will look like. Note the three dash lines in the upper right corner. Tap that area and the menu comes up.
7ckG1I.png

I will be placing a test version up shortly that has this fix plus the trip counter, option to not include charge in Wh counter, accuracy change for Elv/Speed graph and the Ah rating on screen 3.

Note that the Wh counter change and trip counter are not full tested yet so there could still be some issues with it. I will be adding in that a charge session is a separate "trip" so that information also gets recorded in the Triplog too.

pthack said:
Just to let you know. 0.34.51 (on my Sprint Note II) does NOT initialize the battery voltage or kW (above the bar graph on screen 4), OR the temps (all are the same temps) until I go to screen 1 at least once.....once I do, the batt voltage and kW are updated, but never update again (they stay what whatever was seen when it went to screen 1)...
As a workaround until I fix that turn on Logging. You can set the log rate to once per hour. That will force reading everything.

Here is the final wording for the new distance countdown counter. I needed to add the event the counter was counting down to and the efficiency used to calculate the distance as both of those could be changed after the counter was initialized.

PYOEYG.png

pthack said:
The battery temperatures are always read whether logging is on or off. With logging off if you still think Screen 4 temps are not being updated then turn on ELM logging. Exit and restart app on screen 4 and let it sit there for a minute then exit and send me the ELM trace. If while on screen 4 you see the number 43 in the bottom right status window that is when the battery temps are being read.

Is it possible all the temps really were all the same?

I have fixed the pack voltage reading so it will update on all screens even when not logging. Next release will have the fix.

Turbo3 said:
There is already an Wh counter on screen 4 which show the energy change of the battery from regen or motor drain. You can also tap that number to see how much regen energy was put into the battery.

wow, learn something about this app nearly every day!

DaveinOlyWA said:
Turbo3 said:
There is already an Wh counter on screen 4 which show the energy change of the battery from regen or motor drain. You can also tap that number to see how much regen energy was put into the battery.

In order to allow you to "see" the "Hot" areas on the screen I am implementing an identify feature that highlights all the areas you can tap.

When you hold down the soft Menu key in the upper right corner (and a few other areas) all the areas on the screen that can be tapped are highlighted. Buttons will not be highlighted since those are obvious.

This is very useful even to me since it is hard to remember the exact shape and location of all these fields.

Note that several areas are greenish. This indicates that they have two functions. One for a tap and one for a long tap.

Highlighted & Normal Screen 4
Y1bBAY.png
JcOwSs.png

Note: The hot area over the left side of the battery graph is new to the next release.

Turbo3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Turbo3 said:

In order to allow you to "see" the "Hot" areas on the screen I am implementing an identify feature that highlights all the areas you can tap.

When you hold down the soft Menu key in the upper right corner (and a few other areas) all the areas on the screen that can be tapped are highlighted. Buttons will not be highlighted since those are obvious.

This is very useful even to me since it is hard to remember the exact shape and location of all these fields.

Note that several areas are greenish. This indicates that they have two functions. One for a tap and one for a long tap.

Highlighted & Normal Screen 4
Y1bBAY.png
JcOwSs.png

Note: The hot area over the left side of the battery graph is new to the next release.

AWESOME MAN!!!

In using 34.55 a potential issue may arise for some and that is the display of the values for
kWhr, Ahr, and voltage simultaneously. If one divides the kWhr by the contemporaneous value
of Ahr, a different value for voltage results than that displayed. So inherent in those two values
is a voltage not provided by the BMS. To resolve any potential issue, maybe display in parenthesis
the calculated value for voltage between the kWhr and Ahr while still displaying the actual battery
voltage on the right.

Turbo3 said:
pthack said:
As a workaround until I fix that turn on Logging. You can set the log rate to once per hour. That will force reading everything.
In a maybe related problem, 0.34.55 is not updating the kW number below the battery graphic for me. If I tap it I get a valid number for the amount of regen, but otherwise it always displays "0 kW". Hitting reset (when it is shown) doesn't do anything. I do have logging turned on, and can restart with debug if you need.

On an unrelated point, when outside temp went up from 30°F to 60°F and I got my best GIDs reading ever (previously it was 278).
JLcjKii.png

jlv said:
Turbo3 said:
pthack said:
In a maybe related problem, 0.34.55 is not updating the kW number below the battery graphic for me. If I tap it I get a valid number for the amount of regen, but otherwise it always displays "0 kW". Hitting reset (when it is shown) doesn't do anything. I do have logging turned on, and can restart with debug if you need.

On an unrelated point, when outside temp went up from 30°F to 60°F and I got my best GIDs reading ever (previously it was 278).
Yes, I broke the Wh counter on that version. Fixed in next release.

In case you didn't see it, today's WSJ has an article entitled Should You Buy an Electric Car? that quotes someone who says:
I would have preferred that Nissan make the actual state-of-charge and state-of-battery-health
information available to the driver without having to resort to an OBDII adapter and third-party software
like Leaf Spy.

lorenfb said:
In using 34.55 a potential issue may arise for some and that is the display of the values for
kWhr, Ahr, and voltage simultaneously. If one divides the kWhr by the contemporaneous value
of Ahr, a different value for voltage results than that displayed. So inherent in those two values
is a voltage not provided by the BMS. To resolve any potential issue, maybe display in parenthesis
the calculated value for voltage between the kWhr and Ahr while still displaying the actual battery
voltage on the right.

Besides the above, also consider displaying the real-time horsepower (~ 1.34 X kW) next to the real-time
kW on screen four.

Back