2015 LEAF specs - no range increase

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course, if the release date isn't until sometime late this summer, we won't really know if the battery is more heat-resistant until the end of summer 2015. Too late for those of us turning in our leased cars early next year. I have no interest in continuing to act as Nissan's guinea pig.

z0ner said:
So in four generations Nissan hasn't improved the range by a single mile (or km).

Yay, Nissan!!

I'd argue that it is unfair to call four model years of an automobile 'four generations'

Also, while practical testing may not play it out, the EPA 'range' rating did jump from the '12 to '13 years.

Sure, why not...

Just make the interior as black as possible so it can be as hot as possible on summer afternoons. Cook the battery even faster.

Hmm, I'm excited about possibly better battery cooling, but not liking that Ocean Blue and Light Grey interior seem to be going away.

Those documents show black for all trims, I wouldn't mind a different blue if you could still get a light color interior. Suppose I should still consider the 2014 for Lease or Buy still.

(EDIT: Someone mentioned the documents don't black is the only interior)

Could the $2500 NMAC cash on current models be here to soften the transition to a lower price on the 2015?

I'm going to extend my lease (up next May) until the fall anyway, so the timing is right for me, but I'm also disappointed. I'd rather have the same price than more range, but I was kind of hoping for both...

JeremyW said:
Looks like the white/light interior is going away too. :x :x :x

No it is still available. That is an option chart on the dark interior, so the light interior is the standard by default.

Jay

It only jumped because of a change in the test methodology... There was no real increase in range...

essaunders said:
Also, while practical testing may not play it out, the EPA 'range' rating did jump from the '12 to '13 years.

And wow, they are adding what other lesser cars have had for ages... "the “SV and SL” trims will get EV-IT updates, which means a Hands-free text messaging assistant and Voice Destination Entry (VDE)."

TomT said:
It only jumped because of a change in the test methodology... There was no real increase in range...

essaunders said:

I know that (based on Tony's drive) - but it isn't disclosed clearly (if at all) on the fueleconomy.gov - and you can bet Nissan isn't going to remind anyone...

(on that note, now that we've discussed it, anyone have a link to factual evidence of the "change in the test methodology". it would be good to have that link in this thread.)

the first google result(s) for "fuel economy nissan leaf 2012 2013":

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2013-nissan-leaf-gets-fuel-econom-range-improvement-says-epa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1084193_2013-nissan-leaf-final-ratings-issued-115-mpge-75-miles-of-range" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://insideevs.com/2013-nissan-leaf-mpge-rating-jumps-to-130-city-and-102-highway/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

those links argue a real increase in efficiency...

Well, what a bummer. My lease on Volt is coming up and I was thinking for something new for Leaf, but now I am looking forward to Kia Soul EV.

essaunders said:
I'd argue that it is unfair to call four model years of an automobile 'four generations'
Sure, if you want to underscore the fact that range has been the number one concern, and they haven't done a thing to improve it in four years. Ok.

essaunders said:
As others have mentioned, real-world values are what is important here.

I think the idea might have been to increase range early on - but the need for "hot" battery trumped need for range increase.

Hopefully we'll get range increase next year - right in time for when my lease ends in May '15 ;)

Back