2015 LEAF specs - no range increase

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is very disappointing. I was really hoping for the extended range leaf in '15. Maybe some will have an affordable 120+ mile ev in 2016.

It is great that the 6.6 kW charger is the only one now... 5 hours or less. CHAdeMO is included in SV and up... also good. Wanted more different colors... 1 is a start.

Too bad there isn't more news about the battery... but wasn't that inline like the 2013 changes that happened in July? The more heat resistant formulation may also be an inline change for this 2014 MY.

evnow said:
I think the idea might have been to increase range early on - but the need for "hot" battery trumped need for range increase.

Hopefully we'll get range increase next year - right in time for when my lease ends in May '15 ;)

You think the '16s will be out in May? You may have to extend the lease a couple of months. Looks like they're trying to get the new model years out in the fall, like most OEMs.

Seems they're eliminating option packages. Everything is included in each trim level.

There's nothing in the SL I really want. In the SV, just the hybrid heater and QC, and it'll be interesting to see what the SV will cost over the S, and wether they cut prices again.

But without the range bump, my options this November get larger. Now the Soul, iMiev, eGolf, maybe even i3 have a chance. Maybe even a leftover '14 if the price is right.

Still no green LEAF?

I'm really, really bummed by this news. My lease is up in April 2015 and I have no idea what I'll be doing for a new car. I'd feel stupid to get a 2015 Leaf when I suspect that a new Leaf with better range is right around the corner. I also don't want to jump into a Volt or Kia Soul EV or Ford Focus EV and get locked in with a 3 year lease when a much improved Leaf comes out just a few months later. I could extend my Leaf lease, but I'm paying $462/mo and I'd really like to get into a car with a smaller monthly payment. :shock:

In an unrelated story, GM seems to forthcoming about improvements they are plodding along with for 2015. Will the Volt AER surpass the Leaf in 2015?

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2015-chevrolet-volt-expected-to-expand-range-double-powertrain-offerings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NYLEAF said:
I could extend my Leaf lease, but I'm paying $462/mo and I'd really like to get into a car with a smaller monthly payment. :shock:
Get a new Leaf on 2 year lease.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
You think the '16s will be out in May? You may have to extend the lease a couple of months. Looks like they're trying to get the new model years out in the fall, like most OEMs.
Truthfully my current lease is such a good deal ($125 a month) I'd be tempted to keep it for as long as I can and wait for a really improved EV. Even if that takes me to 2016.

NYLEAF said:
I'm really, really bummed by this news. My lease is up in April 2015 and I have no idea what I'll be doing for a new car. I'd feel stupid to get a 2015 Leaf when I suspect that a new Leaf with better range is right around the corner. I also don't want to jump into a Volt or Kia Soul EV or Ford Focus EV and get locked in with a 3 year lease when a much improved Leaf comes out just a few months later. I could extend my Leaf lease, but I'm paying $462/mo and I'd really like to get into a car with a smaller monthly payment. :shock:

Could taking over an existing lease that only has about a year left be an option for you? Could be something similar, or get something a bit more fun with it being short term.

At this point I would prefer a low degradation battery with the same range as when my 2011 was new instead a modest increase in range with a big degradation curve.

LTLFTcomposite said:
In an unrelated story, GM seems to forthcoming about improvements they are plodding along with for 2015. Will the Volt AER surpass the Leaf in 2015?

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2015-chevrolet-volt-expected-to-expand-range-double-powertrain-offerings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not very confident they have good information. The below imply doubling of density.

The battery pack also will be more compact than the one in today's car.
The car can run in pure electric mode for about 38 miles. The redesigned model is expected to run in pure electric mode for about 60 miles

tailgate1234 said:
At this point I would prefer a low degradation battery with the same range as when my 2011 was new instead a modest increase in range with a big degradation curve.

Thankfully my lease is not up until 2017, as I figured it would take that much time before someone (probably Tesla) offers a higher range, reasonably priced EV. What has been most disappointing to me is the brand new EV offerings (VW e-Golf, Mercedes B class, etc) are basically 2011 Leafs with no additional range. I was hoping they would all offer 100-135 mile EVs so Nissan would have to step up their game.

My non-degraded Leaf meets most of my needs. What I feel I want is a liquid cooled TMS that will still function on 110V so the battery stays cool on our 100+ degree days and does not degrade as quickly. Like everyone, I do want more range too and will buy whomever's product has these features. I hope it's Nissan, because I do love my Leaf.

brian123 said:
Hmm, I'm excited about possibly better battery cooling, but not liking that Ocean Blue and Light Grey interior seem to be going away.
There is zero evidence the battery will have any kind of cooling other than what it has now (which is none).

TomT said:
It only jumped because of a change in the test methodology... There was no real increase in range...
It's even worse than that. EPA range is the average of the range with each charge option, 80% and 100%, or if the car has only one charge option it's range with that charge. So to "increase" the range Nissan eliminated the 80% charge option. So to advertise higher range without delivering a single mile of actual increased range, Nissan significantly damaged the product by making the battery degrade even faster. Not their most heroic moment. (That was when they decided to produce a mass market EV at all.)

No extra range and still... the same ridiculous headlights that no EV really needs. Nope, not for me.

I upgraded to the Rav 4 EV. No more range anxiety and 120-130 Real World freeway miles on a charge.

Getting the Leaf up to 130 miles range is a really important product milestone for the EV industry and Nissan. Bring it!

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Seems they're eliminating option packages. Everything is included in each trim level.
I wouldn't read too much into that. The Canadian spec Leafs are optioned differently than the US. See http://www.nissan.ca/en/electric-cars/leaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

If you look at Canadian sales at http://nissannews.com/en-CA/nissan/canada/releases/nissan-group-reports-december-and-2013-year-end-u-s-sales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; vs. US sales at http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-group-reports-december-and-2013-year-end-u-s-sales" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, don't you think you'd want to reduce the variants given out tiny a Leaf market Canada is?

In 2013, Nissan sold 470 Leafs for ALL of Canada vs. 22,610 in the US, which means the avg. monthly rate for the US alone is ~1884.

From
essaunders said:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1084193_2013-nissan-leaf-final-ratings-issued-115-mpge-75-miles-of-range" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The 2013 Leaf is also rated at 75 miles of range, up from the 73-mile rating of the 2011 and 2012 models.

Although, as Nissan explained several weeks ago, that rating is deceptive, because it's now an average of the range offered by an 80-percent charge (66 miles) and a 100-percent charge (84 miles).

The 2011-2012 rating of 73 miles was based entirely on a 100-percent charge, so it compares directly to the 84-mile distance--a 15-percent improvement.
And then yes, 2014 gets "84 miles" (http://insideevs.com/2014-nissan-leaf-mostly-unchanged-as-range-technically-moves-up-to-84-miles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) because of the elimination of the 80% charge option. :roll:

Yes, I've read Tony's '13+ Leaf range tests. As we've discussed before, it is quite likely the '13+ Leaf DOES do better on the EPA test cycles than the '11 and '12 but would NOT be reflected in a steady state speed test, which is what Tony's test was.

None of the EPA test cycles involve holding a steady speed for an extended period of time. And, the highest average speed of any of the cycles is 48.4 mph while Tony's were at a steady 100 km/h (~62 mph). I've posted about the EPA tests for ICEVs long ago at http://priuschat.com/threads/car-and-driver-the-truth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates.67235/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, including link to the schedules.

But yes, I echo the comments that it's disappointing the '15 Leaf apparently will have no range improvement. :(

cwerdna said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
I wouldn't read too much into that. The Canadian spec Leafs are optioned differently than the US. See http://www.nissan.ca/en/electric-cars/leaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Oh yeah, could be different. But however they option it, I'm still likely to go for a better heater and QC, both of which will help with extending my range. The Soul EV might be slightly better rangewise now, 27kW, interesting hybrid heater system, and QC. But not sure if they'll sell them here. The iMiev has QC standard and is a lot cheaper, but a bit small. The Rav4EV would be interesting if it was supported here. An eNV200 with 36kW and a little more powerful motor(s) would fit the bill.

Will miss the blue ocean.

Well that was very anticlimactic. Was hoping for at least 100 mile real world range. Guess I will just be riding my lease out till the end next year. If nothing else having the 6.6 charger and the ability to turn the A/C and heater off and just use the fan would be nice I guess. I imagine the battery cells in there are the same as 13/14. If they found heat resistant cells and put them in a car I am sure they would be shouting it from the roof tops, and putting it on the front page of every paper. So the 15' will probably suffer the same fate in very hot areas that all the previous generations have.

Back