2015 LEAF specs - no range increase

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wennfred said:
What tires does that car use?
Tiny little donuts. 145/65-15 on the front, 175/60-15 on the rear. (It's rear-wheel drive.) They're Dunlop Ensave and I keep 'em inflated at 40 PSI, though I'm not as good about checking the tire pressure as a hypermiler.

At every one of the Leaf drives I attended (three of them) they said and had written 100 miles everywhere. They even had that stupid video map that showed a 100 mile circle of how far you could go when you entered a destination... LA4 and anything else was very much an afterthought and played down to the public... They may have had their legal butts covered but they sure publicized 100 miles as if it was a given...

evnow said:
TomT said:
You mean like the 2011 will get 100 miles in normal driving?
I remember them saying 100 miles on city cycle. Not "normal driving" - whatever that means.

The 100 mile range was pure salesman bullshit. They are still telling that lie to this day.

What they left out was that you have to drive 10 mph to get that range.

KJD said:
The 100 mile range was pure salesman bullshit. They are still telling that lie to this day.

What they left out was that you have to drive 10 mph to get that range.

Dount counter bullshit with bullshit. I've driven 100 miles with speeds primarily 40 to 50 mph.

walterbays said:
The reason Nissan removed the 80% charge option in 2014 was to cheat the admittedly stupid EPA range test.

Is that conjecture or fact?

Seems plausible that they removed it because they learned that charging to 100% didn't make enough of a difference to justify hobbling their owners with overly-cautious charging regimens.

hill said:
According to Andy Palmer - the 2016 Leaf actually WILL get ~ 120miles-150miles in this vid:
(at the 25second - 45 second mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUPLAYER_greencarreports&feature=player_detailpage&v=bXqgksi0lt0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's about as close as I've heard to saying it'll happen as I've heard so far.

"could envision" is not the same as "will get".

Nubo said:
walterbays said:
The reason Nissan removed the 80% charge option in 2014 was to cheat the admittedly stupid EPA range test.

Is that conjecture or fact?

Seems plausible that they removed it because they learned that charging to 100% didn't make enough of a difference to justify hobbling their owners with overly-cautious charging regimens.
Pure conjecture. Like 100% of what we know of Nissan's actions, due to the 0% information and explanation they give here or elsewhere. Like the software update that was supposed to improve the DTE gauge whose main effect seems to have been to radically reduce regeneration. Like the price of a new battery. Like the availability of a new battery. Like whether new batteries will really fit in old cars. Like anything about new year models, and possible new battery capacities. Like the Infiniti EV. Like the heat tolerant battery. Like what's going to happen to thousands of old Leafs coming off lease with degraded batteries. Like why did Nissan design the original car with its original battery without TMS, selling it where they did, with the battery longevity claims they made. Like the relative impact of various conditions - like charging to 80% or 100% - on battery degradation. Like why after 3 years you still must agree to their terms and conditions (press OK) a thousand times a year instead of once a year like other businesses.

There are excellent reasons for any business to keep most such information secret. But Nissan goes way overboard hiding information that is of no value to them and which could be of immense value to their loyal customers. They could sure reduce (and guide) conjecture by leaking just 1% of their secrets, like through the "advisory group."

TomT said:
At every one of the Leaf drives I attended (three of them) they said and had written 100 miles everywhere. They even had that stupid video map that showed a 100 mile circle of how far you could go when you entered a destination... LA4 and anything else was very much an afterthought and played down... They may have had their legal butts covered but they sure publicized 100 miles as if it was a given...
No - not an after thought. Here is a bit from the original PR after launch. Remember, LA4 100 miles is needed for credits.

Unlike internal-combustion engine (ICE) equipped vehicles, Nissan LEAF’s power train has no tail pipe, and thus no emission of CO2 or other greenhouse gases. A combination of Nissan LEAF’s regenerative braking system and innovative lithium-ion battery packs enables the car to deliver a driving range of more than 100 miles on one full charge*. (*US LA4 mode)

evnow said:
US LA4 mode
uddsdds.gif

The average speed on this test is 20 MPH. Hell, someone drove a Volt for 82 miles at 23 MPH.

http://insideevs.com/far-can-chevrolet-volt-really-go-ev-mode-81-8-miles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Except in my area of L.A. where there is nary a flat or level road... Except for when I tried hard and drove like a 90 year old, I never got anywhere near the LA4 range even when the battery was new... My best was 107 miles and it was an excruciating experience!

JeremyW said:
To be fair, that's pretty much what driving around in LA is like... :?

mkjayakumar said:
Dount counter bullshit with bullshit. I've driven 100 miles with speeds primarily 40 to 50 mph.

... when the battery is new. What happens after two years..?

Highly dependent on local conditions. After 2 1/2 years mine is reading 92% capacity. Unfortunately some are faring much worse.

A dealer in WA has 2015's listed on their website. It seems the car has gone up a bit in price with the new model year. :(

http://www.buriennissan.com/search/new/tp/?q=&yr=2015&md=1053-leaf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully has to do with new battery chemistry for heat resistance and maybe even higher density ie: more heat tolerance and range. More range that lasts longer.

Love my LEAF!

10k miles of mostly solar powered driving!

No, there is no difference in range or density and we were told that the High Temp battery costs only "very slightly more" to manufacture, so any increase in price is likely just normal vehicle price bumping (and perhaps some rejiggering of standard equipment levels)...

jsongster said:
Hopefully has to do with new battery chemistry for heat resistance and maybe even higher density ie: more heat tolerance and range. More range that lasts longer.

NYLEAF said:
A dealer in WA has 2015's listed on their website. It seems the car has gone up a bit in price with the new model year. :(

http://www.buriennissan.com/search/new/tp/?q=&yr=2015&md=1053-leaf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is not clear to me what options are installed on these cars. It is certainly easy to get a 2014 Leaf S into the low 30's with the optional packages.

Latest posts

Back