mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Re: Summary of Nissan LEAF Town Hall Meeting on 1/8/2013

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:52 pm

MrIanB wrote:1- isn't the battery fix as easy as replacing the weaker/damaged backs and that will bring the battery pack back to 100% like new?

Not really, because there will be some degradation in all old cells. Just replacing the very weakest might bring you back up substantially, but it would never be 100% unless they were all brand new.

MrIanB wrote:2- if they replace the battery after down to 8 bars, they made it seem like they would bring you back up to a certain level but did not hear 100%. Now that makes no sense to me, that is like having a damaged tire covered under warranty and giving you a barely used "new" tire vs a brand new tire. What am I missing here?

I'm with you. But I can only imagine it would be a cost thing.

The most disingenuous part of the story from Mr. Palmer was the "enormous cost" of swapping battery packs, which I took to mean the labor cost (or labour cost, as Mr. Palmer would probably write). Well, we all know that the book calls for (IIRC) 2-3 hours in total to R&R a LEAF battery pack. In my head, that's not a massive amount in the big scheme of things. Heck I would be willing to pay that out of pocket for a new pack under warranty, and not feel at all cheated for having to do so.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 77,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

MrIanB
Delivery Date: 21 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 0870

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:32 pm

mwalsh wrote:
MrIanB wrote:1- isn't the battery fix as easy as replacing the weaker/damaged backs and that will bring the battery pack back to 100% like new?

Not really, because there will be some degradation in all old cells. Just replacing the very weakest might bring you back up substantially, but it would never be 100% unless they were all brand new.

MrIanB wrote:2- if they replace the battery after down to 8 bars, they made it seem like they would bring you back up to a certain level but did not hear 100%. Now that makes no sense to me, that is like having a damaged tire covered under warranty and giving you a barely used "new" tire vs a brand new tire. What am I missing here?

I'm with you. But I can only imagine it would be a cost thing.

The most disingenuous part of the story from Mr. Palmer was the "enormous cost" of swapping battery packs, which I took to mean the labor cost (or labour cost, as Mr. Palmer would probably write). Well, we all know that the book calls for (IIRC) 2-3 hours in total to R&R a LEAF battery pack. In my head, that's not a massive amount in the big scheme of things. Heck I would be willing to pay that out of pocket for a new pack under warranty, and not feel at all cheated for having to do so.

Thanks for the info. At this early stage cost should not come into play. It is a matter of making things right for your customer. Better fix it and nip it in the bud early than let the issue become bigger and have to catch the wrath from nay Sayers, media, public etc, etc, etc. I am not having any battery issues here in central Texas but, when the lease is put, the car is going back to them and moving on to the next ev whether it is a Nissan or not. I now have learned how important cooling the battery pack is for hot climate states and how Tesla and Volt deal with it and not have our issues.

Ian B

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:58 pm

mwalsh wrote:The most disingenuous part of the story from Mr. Palmer was the "enormous cost" of swapping battery packs, which I took to mean the labor cost (or labour cost, as Mr. Palmer would probably write). Well, we all know that the book calls for (IIRC) 2-3 hours in total to R&R a LEAF battery pack. In my head, that's not a massive amount in the big scheme of things. Heck I would be willing to pay that out of pocket for a new pack under warranty, and not feel at all cheated for having to do so.
I doubt seriously if Andy Palmer was thinking about the labor cost of physically exchanging the two packs. I'm sure he was much more concerned with the cost of maintaining inventories at or near dealers, of transporting packs back to a testing and refurbishing site, of doing the necessary testing to weed out usable from unusable cells, of diverting cells from the production line for repairs, etc.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”