Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JPVLeaf said:
- Per customer service rep., the warranty on the replaceement battery is for the duration of the original 5-yr/60k mi. warranty period. I haven't seen this in writing. I've seen/heard this contradicted elsewhere (i.e., that it gets is own 5 yr/60k mi. warranty).

My guess is that just like with any other part replaced *under warranty* the warranty period would not be extended and run its course as if the original part had not required replacement.

I you *buy* a replacement part, you get a new warranty that starts ticking at the install date/current vehicle mileage. New parts ( a 12v battery is a good example) sometimes enjoy better warranty terms than the original part. (Not likely with the LEAF traction battery).

I see no reason why Nissan would want to deviate from its standard warranty or new part policies for the LEAF or any of its components.

JPWhite said:
I see no reason why Nissan would want to deviate from its standard warranty or new part policies for the LEAF or any of its components.

What about the people that were promised a certificate for a Lizard battery, if they recently had an original pack installed? What ever happened to that promise, who made it, and is it in writing anywhere? If Nissan does come though on that promise, I think it would be best to stretch out the use of the first replacement as long as Nissan will allow. If they allow you to use it until it is also down 4 bars, you might not get the Lizard battery for another 2-3 years. :cool:

JPVLeaf said:
...- At this point, I'm willing to wait before requesting the replacement since I am still under 60k, and I thankfully have workplace charging (can't do my RT commute without it). As far as assurance that any newly shipped batteries will be the 'new' batteries, we supposedly have Brian Brockman's 'word' as per the opening post. However, given history with other battery claims, I'm not 100% comforted by that. Though, I suspect that will change given time and more info...
Do I understand correctly that you are talking about a warranty replacement? The replacement batteries described by Brockman in the first post of this thread are the ones that are purchased, not warranty replacements. It may be that Nissan doesn't have any lizard batteries available for replacement yet since there are very few people over 60k miles who would want to buy one yet.
...- Per customer service rep., the warranty on the replaceement battery is for the duration of the original 5-yr/60k mi. warranty period. I haven't seen this in writing. I've seen/heard this contradicted elsewhere (i.e., that it gets is own 5 yr/60k mi. warranty).
My understanding is that a purchased replacement battery will have the 5 year/60k mile warranty. A replacement under the warranty would have only the remaining period of the warranty. Whether the lizard battery coupons, mentioned at the AZ meeting last year, ever come to pass remains to be seen. I have my doubts since it would mean three batteries for the same car at no additional cost: original, replacement, second replacement, and that seems a lot to ask.

dgpcolorado said:
Do I understand correctly that you are talking about a warranty replacement?
Yes, a warranty battery replacement.
I was told by Nissan reps that warranty replacements will all be the new 'lizard' batteries, FWIW.
Yes, if you buy a replacement battery, I'd also expect it to have its own 5-yr/60-mi warranty. I wouldn't expect Nissan to offer the same for a warranty replacement.

dgpcolorado said:
My understanding is that a purchased replacement battery will have the 5 year/60k mile warranty.
Based on their warranty Nissan sure is confident that these Lizard batteries will perform... about the same as original batteries. Doesn't inspire much confidence.

The second car at Tustin Nissan is my car awaiting a warranty replacement. The Nissan Rep told me as well that it would be the lizard battery that they would be installing. I took my car back after the check, while I wait for the battery to arrive. While I had only 40k miles and 38 months, the available range was getting quite restrictive. I do not have charging at work, and charging while waiting is not appealing.

sksingh said:
The second car at Tustin Nissan is my car awaiting a warranty replacement.
Hi Singh. Still no update on when your battery will arrive?
Hopefully, it will be soon. Given the delivery time, it would appear that it's en route from JA.

Stoaty said:
Based on their warranty Nissan sure is confident that these Lizard batteries will perform... about the same as original batteries. Doesn't inspire much confidence.
:?: I presume that the idea is that they won't have to do any more expensive warranty replacements for rapid capacity loss, even in Phoenix. That would be a considerable improvement over the older batteries, would it not?

Of course, it remains to be seen if the lizard batteries will perform as intended.

Stoaty said:
dgpcolorado said:
My understanding is that a purchased replacement battery will have the 5 year/60k mile warranty.

3 additional years of technology should provide something. my 2013 has better range and sure some of that is SW tweaks but still can't argue with the results. as far as longevity? in WA, that is probably at least another year down the line before I can comment on that :)

JPVLeaf said:
Hi Singh. Still no update on when your battery will arrive?
Hopefully, it will be soon. Given the delivery time, it would appear that it's en route from JA.

Nissan CS called, the battery is at the dealer. Called and setup appointment for Monday as their Leaf Tech does not work Saturdays.

Stoaty said:
No - unlike now where a lot of AZ cars will get replacement batteries, Nissan must be sure the new will hardly get replaced. For eg. if 30% get replaced now - if only 5% get replaced with new battery that would be a good deal of improvement.

Valdemar said:
The longer you wait the higher the chances are you'll be getting a refurbished pack and not a new one. It may be a while before refurb packs are used for warranty replacements, but it will start happening at some point.
"Refurbished" will likely mean that the all the original cells are replaced with new cells. The rest of the traction battery pack would be reused. Firmware may be updated.

Crossed my mind the determiner for sticking someone with a refurbished pack could be how close they are to 5yr/60k miles. If someone only has a couple months to go, tell them "here's your ninth bar back!"

LTLFTcomposite said:
Crossed my mind the determiner for sticking someone with a refurbished pack could be how close they are to 5yr/60k miles. If someone only has a couple months to go, tell them "here's your ninth bar back!"
As near as I can tell all the pack replacements have been with new packs so far. I think that if Nissan starts installing refurbished packs they are going to loose customers to companies like KIA. Tesla has also enhanced their warranty on drive units, so maybe Nissan will just do the right thing and keep on using new parts.

The other thing to consider is with the new Lizard battery pack maybe there will not be so many problems in the future. We can hope right ?

brettcgb said:
Valdemar said:
The longer you wait the higher the chances are you'll be getting a refurbished pack and not a new one. It may be a while before refurb packs are used for warranty replacements, but it will start happening at some point.
"Refurbished" will likely mean that the all the original cells are replaced with new cells. The rest of the traction battery pack would be reused. Firmware may be updated.

That wouldn't be too bad, actually it would be good. I was referring to the fact that Nissan has no obligation to provide a new pack as a warranty replacement, or a pack refurbished to original specs. Their only promise is to get your pack back to 9 bars. So in this context "refurbished" simply means "used".

sksingh said:
The second car at Tustin Nissan is my car awaiting a warranty replacement. The Nissan Rep told me as well that it would be the lizard battery that they would be installing. I took my car back after the check, while I wait for the battery to arrive. While I had only 40k miles and 38 months, the available range was getting quite restrictive. I do not have charging at work, and charging while waiting is not appealing.
I'm missing something - according to your signature, you have 9 bars and 38,000 miles. How are you able to qualify for a "warranty replacement"?

ahagge said:
sksingh said:
I'm missing something - according to your signature, you have 9 bars and 38,000 miles. How are you able to qualify for a "warranty replacement"?

he dropped to 9 bars in march 2014, then several months later after summer heat he now lost another bar, you should take his post text as an update to the outdated information in his signature.

Had posted my fourth bar loss here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&p=380727#p380727" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Turned mt vehicle in for battery replacement this morning.
Battery Part Number from the crate is 295B0-3NF9E

sksingh said:
Let us know how the replacement goes - see if you can grab pics of the new/old pack.

That part number comes up here: $4,398.90 http://www.nissanpartscheap.com/OEMParts/nissan-142/2/295B03NF9E.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The website appears to be the Nissan Poway, CA dealership...

sksingh said:
Had posted my fourth bar loss here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&p=380727#p380727" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Congrats! FYI, Jeff C was cool and emsg'd me a photo. He said it was shipped from TN.
Bringing my car in Wed. :)

Back