Always Hot cigarette lighter plug?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinleaf

Anyone figured out an easy way to make the cigarette lighter plug / aux power plug to be 12v always hot?
Yes, I know, voids warranty and could drain battery if something is left plugged in all the time. I assume that risk.

You would have to completely rewire it as it is tied to the infotainment system also (off the same relay). I found this out by accident when I hooked up a battery/inverter system to charge on a trip. :D

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for an answer that wouldn't involve permanent changes to my (leased) car and be somewhat easily reversible.

They'd never know so I would not worry about that aspect.

kevinleaf said:
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for an answer that wouldn't involve permanent changes to my (leased) car and be somewhat easily reversible.

Yes, but extra drilled holes they might notice. I am especially trying to avoid that.

Now that I think about the OBD-II plug has 12v constant on it, there should be a pass-thru plug to get power from there without cutting anything. I wonder if such a thing exists.

Just run fused power directly from the 12v battery under the hood and use hookand look tape (the rigid kind not the soft kind) to mount the water tight (so no exposed metal) 12v where you want on the console/under the dash.

no mods to the car at all then

kevinleaf said:
Yes, I know, ... could drain battery if something is left plugged in all the time. I assume that risk.
LEAF protocol for 12V charging tends to leave 12V inadequately charged a lot of the time to start with.
If you are going to use much 12V without the LEAF being in Ready mode, then you will need to consider doing routine trickle charging.

Not only the risk of LEAF failing to start, but they can also exhibit dangerously bad braking with a very low 12V voltage.

I experienced it the first time a few weeks back when my second 12V battery had failed.
Basically no braking at low speed backing into a parallel parking spot.
Scary.
You need to avoid low voltage on the 12V system.
LEAF basically has no detection of this.
Although I did get a shrill alarm like tone the last few times in On mode before battery was replaced under prorated warranty.

What might suffice for you is doing what I have done; have a small lithium ion based charger that is float, charged by your cigarette lighter. As such, it will continue to supply power for things downstream when the vehicle is off (depleting its capacity), but then recharging if you drive it long enough.… It is a workaround, but I want to do avoid buggering up the interior.

Back