Schneider EV Link Gen1 or Gen2?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maduro

Hi,

I want to buy a EV link but at Homedepot.com I see a Gen1 and Gen2... other than $50 more for Gen2 what is the difference? Is ti worth it? Thanx.

Gen1
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202963679/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=ev+link&storeId=10051#.UJkz3YaKjQ8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gen2
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-203670265/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=ev+link&storeId=10051#.UJkz-IaKjQ8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking at the specs I just see a bunch of gimmicky bells and whistles that look to have no effect whatsoever on functionality.

"now includes upgraded convenience features including easier usability, expanded vehicle compatibility, wider installation options and industry’s first personalize your charging station feature with a custom skin or a photo of your choice..."

I say save your $50. Better yet build your own open-evse for ~$300 or upgrade you nissan evse.

fooljoe said:
Looking at the specs I just see a bunch of gimmicky bells and whistles that look to have no effect whatsoever on functionality.

"now includes upgraded convenience features including easier usability, expanded vehicle compatibility, wider installation options and industry’s first personalize your charging station feature with a custom skin or a photo of your choice..."

I say save your $50. Better yet build your own open-evse for ~$300 or upgrade you nissan evse.

+1 on the differences; but I like the permanent install (also had a 50% rebate on EVSE + install here in IL) can see where they changed the cord holder to something you 'plug' into versus the Gen#1 style like a water hose holder as well as a grass-like graphic for the outside cover (look at the additional photos section on the HD site you referenced) but as most would control the charger through the car timer, I don't see the advantage of adding more options to the 'charger' itself. We've had what I guess now is considered Gen#1 since late last year (fortunate enough to spend only $679) and its worked quite well on pretty much a daily basis. In my application, I wouldn't like the 'new' nozzle holder as it would stick further out from the wall versus just laying flush with the cable; we unroll a few coils to reach the car and it's heavy enough to not drag on the floor -- see photos below; as they have a Gen#2 I'd do some more shopping to see if they reduce the price on the first gen to move old stock out as it's still a very good unit:

IMG_0404A.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

I really wanted a holster when I bought my Schnieder. However I would not want the updated version where the added holster puts the handle perpedicular from the wall. And in the past year I have gotten over it and lay the handle on the provided cord holder. Works fine, save the $50.

I just talked to a fellow design team member at Schneider Electric for clarification of difference between Gen 1 and 2.
Schneider Electric EVlink:------Gen.1 | Gen 2
ground fault detection:-----------5mA | 20mA (meets newer EV standards)
LED display hour position:-multiple bars | one bar (uses minimum standby power)
Cable holder:------------bracket only | bracket and holster for plug (place to hold plug)

Not a lot of differences but some EV makers wanted the higher ground fault current detection. I have tried both Gen. 1 and 2 and the car charges the same.

smkettner said:
I really wanted a holster when I bought my Schnieder. However I would not want the updated version where the added holster puts the handle perpedicular from the wall. And in the past year I have gotten over it and lay the handle on the provided cord holder. Works fine, save the $50.

Same here. I posted what I did on this thread.

loudnslow said:
Gen2 can also do 208V.

I just got my gen 2 yesterday, and it's charging my Leaf on 208 right now. Seems to work great. It pulls about 20-23 amps at 208 for a little over 4kw input power.

The handle doesn't come out perpendicular to the wall from the holster on the gen 2. The holster is angled down, IE you push somewhat up to insert the connector, so the handle is about parallel to the wall. I probably won't use the holster; just let the connector dangle from the cable.

Unless you really want to upgrade the appearance of the EVSE with skins, I agree. Save the $50.00.

Dan

Presumably the decrease in the sensitivity of the GFI (from 5 ma to 20 ma)
is the change that makes the Gen2 compatible with the models added to the list:
"BMW Active E, Chevrolet Volt, Coda, Fisker Karma, Ford Focus, Nissan Leaf,
Mitsubishi iMiEV, Toyota Plug-in Prius, Toyota RAV4, Honda FIT EV and more"?

DanBaldwin said:
loudnslow said:
Gen2 can also do 208V.

I just got my gen 2 yesterday, and it's charging my Leaf on 208 right now. Seems to work great. It pulls about 20-23 amps at 208 for a little over 4kw input power.

The handle doesn't come out perpendicular to the wall from the holster on the gen 2. The holster is angled down, IE you push somewhat up to insert the connector, so the handle is about parallel to the wall. I probably won't use the holster; just let the connector dangle from the cable.

Unless you really want to upgrade the appearance of the EVSE with skins, I agree. Save the $50.00.

Dan

How are you taking this amp measurement where you are drawing 4.16 to almost 4.8kw with a LEAF?

EVDRIVER said:
How are you taking this amp measurement?

I used an el cheapo harbor freight clamp on ammeter. I just now checked again with my Craftsman amprobe, and got 19 amps and 201 volts for a little under 4 kw.

Dan

Gwizzz said:
Not a lot of differences but some EV makers wanted the higher ground fault current detection. I have tried both Gen. 1 and 2 and the car charges the same.

Schneider replaced my Gen1 with a Gen2 unit a few weeks ago, to resolve my issue with false ground fault triggers. One of my solar inverters puts enough garbage on the line to intermittently cross the 5ma threshhold of the Gen1 unit.
I didn't care for the new plug holster they provide with the Gen2, so I kept the Gen1 "hose reel" type holder and left the holtser in the box when I returned the Gen1 unit. It just seemed like it might be too cumbersome to have to try to plug it in everytime I unplug. Its basically just a female J1772 plug without the guts in it, so aligning it is just as tricky as plugging into the LEAF in the dark.
I also passed on the free skin coupon, to wrap the charger in your own custom skin. They actually called me to make sure I didn't want the skin.

keydiver said:
Schneider replaced my Gen1 with a Gen2 unit a few weeks ago, to resolve my issue with false ground fault triggers. One of my solar inverters puts enough garbage on the line to intermittently cross the 5ma threshhold of the Gen1 unit.
Glad the new EVlink charger is compatible with your solar inverter now.
My Gen1 and Gen2 EVlink chargers continue to work fine on my LEAF. No faults have ever tripped either the indoor type or outdoor pedestal EVlink chargers that I use every day. Next test is salty winter slush build up under the car... coming soon. I will report any trips I experience.

DanBaldwin said:
loudnslow said:
Gen2 can also do 208V.

Dan
The Schneider unit looks quite portable. Can this unit be converted into a portable or mobile EVSE unit with its own recepticle to the wall?

Also, where do you find 208V in the US? I don't quite understand the benefit of 208V compatibility in North America.

Thanks in advance.

mxp said:
The Schneider unit looks quite portable. Can this unit be converted into a portable or mobile EVSE unit with its own recepticle to the wall?

Yes, the unit is VERY light, so I would imagine that it could be used as a portable EVSE if desired. Personally, I would use the EVSE Upgrade instead, if I needed a portable unit, although that would limit you to 16 amps, as much as a 2011/2012 Leaf can draw.

Also, where do you find 208V in the US? I don't quite understand the benefit of 208V compatibility in North America.

Many commercial buildings have 3-phase electric, with 3 hots, which provides 208 volts between phases, instead of 240 in a single-phase system.

208V comes from a wye derived circuit. Many industrial buildings including the one I work at have wye power. This allows 120V from the center tap.

I charge every day at work using 208V.

Back