NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this isn't true for everyone, but the ability to connect to home/work wifi would satisfy 99.9% of my needs on this front, and would be less expensive to for Nissan to implement.

I've often wondered why this wasn't available...

aqn said:
It's the notification of when charging stops/completes that's valuable for me. Keeping track of that helps me to know when I'm about to lose another bar: when the time to charge each bar becomes markedly less than before.

Also, reminder to plug in is also very useful. Many were the times when I came home, did some things out of my ordinary routine and forgot to plug in. Without a reminder email and text, I'd go to use the car the next day and it'd be uncharged.

Hopefully the telematics upgrade happens. If it doesn't, some of the charging related functions such as remote start/stop, data collection, and plug-in reminders can be accommodated by a network-connected EVSE.

My 2016 has the 3G telematics radio in it. The most disappointing aspect with it is the latency. It takes 20-40 seconds to get an update from the car, and the same again to initiate remote climate start. GM's OnStar system is much snappier.

I wonder if it's a difference such as periodic polling vs SMS push notifications, or just not scaled well on the server side for the number of cars on the road all transmitting stats back to Nissan periodically.

My 2016 has the 3G telematics radio in it. The most disappointing aspect with it is the latency. It takes 20-40 seconds to get an update from the car, and the same again to initiate remote climate start. GM's OnStar system is much snappier.

I don't know why, but the Nissano app will turn the climate control on much faster than anything else. About 15 seconds from pressing the icon to the CC turning on. Acknowledgement takes longer.

jelagin said:
I know this isn't true for everyone, but the ability to connect to home/work wifi would satisfy 99.9% of my needs on this front, and would be less expensive to for Nissan to implement.
Hell, if they'd let us install wifi, I could just tether the car to an extra cell phone for when I'm not at home.

BTW, I found out earlier this week that you can tether a Tesla in this manner. Tesla had some issue where all cars lost access to the AT&T network, and owners were working around it by tethering their cars via the wifi connection.

I use the Nissan website on my mobile browser. Much faster than the app (don't have to wait for updates just to send the command).

But the lack of communications about the status of this 2G upgrade is very disappointing, since so many of us depend on this link.

I am new owner of 2011 Leaf purchased on 7/29/16. The previous owner never subscribed to Carwings and didn't ask to continue the EV connection service by the June 30th deadline. I called Leaf support (877-664-2738) today and was told that the hardware update would not be available until the end of the year. Further, although it is 8/31, she promised an updated information letter/email by the "end of summer". I told them that I was a new owner and asked them if I could still sign up since I was never given the chance previously. She told me that AT&T would not take any new customers. At first she said that she didn't have the number at AT&T so that I could discuss it with them. When I asked to speak with her supervisor, she came back with the generic AT&T support number.
I called AT&T and spoke with several persons but eventually reached someone named Raynette who called another technical person at AT&T (with me on the line). That person said that it was still possible to connect me, I just needed to provide the IMEI or MEID #s. I couldn't find either on the data screens in the car so we also called Nissan @ 855-426-6628. I spoke to a Nissan support person who wanted to know why I needed these numbers. When I told her, she said that I couldn't subscribe to EV Connections because "AT&T would not accept any new subscribers". I told her that I had just talked to AT&T and they were on the phone with me and that was false. She kept insisting that AT&T would not allow me and wouldn't give me my IMEI or MEID #s. I asked to speak with her supervisor.
Justin (#3117966) from the leadership team of Nissan's Connected Vehicle Services came on the line. He said that he knew why I called and then repeated to me at least 4 times that I couldn't sign up for EV Connections because AT&T would not allow it. Eventually the truth came out that it was Nissan's decision not to accept any new subscribers after June 30th, not AT&T's, although he and other support persons at Nissan continued to blame AT&T for this policy. It is unfortunate that Nissan was unwilling to admit that they made the decision to cut off any new owners and tried to blame it on AT&T. In addition, Justin was very rude and kept repeating the same information (lie) over and over again. He said that all owners were informed of this policy in the Spring and that was plenty of notice. When I explained that I was a new owner, he apologized for Nissan's policy which cut me out but still refused to give me my IMEI or MEID numbers.
Making a rigid no exceptions policy then blaming it on another company are being rude to a vehicle owner are pretty despicable behaviors by Nissan. I am beginning to understand the commonly expressed anger at Nissan in many posts on this forum. I suppose that you can get away with it when you have the best EV on the market and largest market share. However, their vehicle will soon be far behind the Chevy Bolt and Tesla's Model 3 and VW's eGolf and with this type of "customer support" they will be in trouble.

Tandemrider said:
That person said that it was still possible to connect me, I just needed to provide the IMEI or MEID #s.

I have a vague memory that one of those can be found by disassembling the Telematics Unit and finding the SIM or equivalent inside. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about the Telematics Unit can advise whether this is true?

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney said:
Tandemrider said:
That person said that it was still possible to connect me, I just needed to provide the IMEI or MEID #s.

I have a vague memory that one of those can be found by disassembling the Telematics Unit and finding the SIM or equivalent inside. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable about the Telematics Unit can advise whether this is true?

Cheers, Wayne
The Telematics unit, with its SIM card, is behind the dash.

jelagin said:

I've often wondered why this wasn't available...

Good question, Tesla connects to wifi so there is no reason for Nissan not to do it.

I'd want it to connect to multiple wifi and give me a chance to input passwords stored for later use.

I'd miss being able to do HVAC activation at a random store that doesn't have wifi but I could at least start charging remotely at work and home.

Unless they are planning on offering a solution that does BOTH WiFi and cellular (and I'm guessing for cost reasons they won't), put me firmly in the camp of cellular rather than WiFi. This would NOT work for me at work, where I use CarWings more than anywhere else (usually twice daily).

Let's face it...Nissan pretty much dropped the ball on the car's connectivity, and they have pretty much shown that this kind of connected technology is not in their wheelhouse, so I don't expect them to roll out a very sophisticated replacement. I will be very surprised if it isn't the cheapest possible cellular replacement they can find.

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised/concerned that we haven't heard anything about a modem update at this point. I always looked at this as a "when" not an "if" because the technology available to swap out the existing (2G) modem is cheap and easy. My only question was what/how they would charge for it.

I'm a bit surprised it's been so quiet as well. I would have expected a continual drip of updates and a schedule for updating various cars to a 3G telematics unit. But so far we've got essentially nothing.... hmmm.

Keith

A Nissan corporate rep was asked about this at a SF Bay Area Leaf owner's appreciation dinner a few weeks ago. IIRC, he said they're working on the notifications. I don't recall the timeframe but it might've been November for the announcement (don't quote me on this).

I know he didn't make any promises on price beyond the statements we've heard.

Im sorry for a dumb question. I'm trying to catch up, thinking of buying a 2016 SL. I'm concerned if the feature to turn on air conditioning remotely will function or not.

If I understand correctly;
1. The hardware update won't affect a new 2016 because it comes with a 3G correct?
2. I read a separate website that says the remote climate control app was disabled by Nissan because of security concerns. IS this true and is it fixed? That is a separate issue from the Telematics Hardware Update?

Thanks so much. I appreciate this forum so much already in gathering facts to make an informed decision on my purchase.

kzapanta said:
Im sorry for a dumb question. I'm trying to catch up, thinking of buying a 2016 SL. I'm concerned if the feature to turn on air conditioning remotely will function or not.

If I understand correctly;
1. The hardware update won't affect a new 2016 because it comes with a 3G correct?
2. I read a separate website that says the remote climate control app was disabled by Nissan because of security concerns. IS this true and is it fixed? That is a separate issue from the Telematics Hardware Update?

Thanks so much. I appreciate this forum so much already in gathering facts to make an informed decision on my purchase.

1. Correct. 2016's already have the 3G TCU.
2. This was fixed some months ago. It was a simple vulnerability that caused Nissan to shut down the system while the software was fixed.

Keith

Thank you for the answers Keith!
Can I please bother you for one more question:

I saw your signature and can I ask you about your SV Leaf? One of my last factors is upholstery options. We can't go cloth. It gets too dirty, stained, and smelly with our lifestyle, kids spilling stuff, and golden retriever. All our vehicles have leather and it costs premium but it works perfect in keeping the stain, stink, and fur off.
I am disappointed that the leather option on all Leafs only comes in black. I live in S.Cal and its hot most of the time and warm the rest. Black interior is considerably hotter compared to a light interior. Because of that, I am now considering the PET "suede" light tan SV option instead of the SL.
Based on my reasoning for the needs of a leather I wrote above, is the PET plastic material water resistant, considerably less permeable to hold spills, mud, ketchup up so so that it can be wiped off and not seep into the interior padding, and durable like leather??
All I know of "suede" is that it absorbs liquids, stains easily, and is the "delicate" underside of leather.

Sorry, I know I'm being very specific but just my luck, the dealership I went to to test drive the LEAF didn't have a single SL or SV model to compare to!!

Back