NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^
I leased '13 SV with the tan light interior for 2 years. Now I own a used '13 SV w/black interior. For both, they're for all intents and purposes a cloth interior, despite them supposedly originating from recycled plastic water bottles: http://www.nissanusa.com/buildyournissan/vehicle-images/2015/LEF/XGC50NIC161D0/c7f6e85cb1472db7a255090fd1d3af83/LEAF/SV/Partially-recycled-cloth-seat-trim/Interior. The light tan interior (reycled PET bottle fabric for the seats) was the only interior available for '11 and '12 model year. Only with '13+ did they offer more choices...

Don't quote what I'm saying as gospel, but the thread likely originated from water bottles and was woven into a fabric.

Unfortunately, the Chief Vehicle Engineer, Kadota-san at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YANTlBWTtA 1:30 does not elaborate on the seat fabric.

BTW, before you buy, can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it. (Yes, I saw So Cal.)

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations?

Also, make sure you're aware of upcoming longer range BEVs such as the Chevy Bolt w/supposedly 238 miles of range on the EPA test vs. the 107 miles on the '16 Leaf SV and SL... Bolt's supposed to ship by end of 2016.

kzapanta said:
Based on my reasoning for the needs of a leather I wrote above, is the PET plastic material water resistant, considerably less permeable to hold spills, mud, ketchup up so so that it can be wiped off and not seep into the interior padding, and durable like leather??
If it is the same material as the 2011 it stains easily.

Also stinks horribly for six months to a year.

Had to leave windows open in garage and it still stunk.

So as of Aug 13 2016 the AT&T towers in Eastern Mass (Boston area) no longer speak 2G to my 2012 leaf. No "you forgot to plug your car in" texts, no remote control of heat, no updates on the carwings web site. Bummer.

Downtown Little Rock, I get no 2G to my Leaf, but I still get 2G out at my house which I barely get 4G service at.. Maybe I'll get better 4G service when they make my Leaf less cool. lol

adspguy said:
So as of Aug 13 2016 the AT&T towers in Eastern Mass (Boston area) no longer speak 2G to my 2012 leaf. No "you forgot to plug your car in" texts, no remote control of heat, no updates on the carwings web site. Bummer.
I'm in Eastern Mass (although slightly west of you) and am still getting 2G service to the car (my latest text was Tuesday).

cwerdna said:
TimLee said:
Also stinks horribly for six months to a year.

Had to leave windows open in garage and it still stunk.
I didn't notice any stinkiness. I think liked the new car smell, when I still had it.
The 2013 forward fabric may have changed.

Not near as many complaints on smell on MNL as there was for the 2011 and 2012.

Still getting 2G service in the Dallas 'burbs.
Please take the off-topic posts to another thread as I depend on this thread for modem update info (which will affect every Leaf owner prior to 2016).

I sure wish I knew what Nissan meant by "substantial portion". If I have to pay a couple hundred bucks I'll be cool, but a couple grand, given the lack of EV options here in Wisconsin, might be enough to send me back to ICE. It just makes me want to cry. But I just can't bring myself to stick by a brand with crappy customer service.

Has anyone tried to backward engineer the TCU? Does anyone have any pictures? I wonder if it would be possible to upgrade to the 3G radio DIY style.

albion said:
I sure wish I knew what Nissan meant by "substantial portion". If I have to pay a couple hundred bucks I'll be cool, but a couple grand, given the lack of EV options here in Wisconsin, might be enough to send me back to ICE. It just makes me want to cry. But I just can't bring myself to stick by a brand with crappy customer service.

Has anyone tried to backward engineer the TCU? Does anyone have any pictures? I wonder if it would be possible to upgrade to the 3G radio DIY style.

I don't expect a modem upgrade to be more than a "couple hundred"; in fact, the cost will most likely be dominated by labor (the hardware is cheap). The question is: how does Nissan want to handle the CW service (air time) going forward? It's essentially been "free" since the day we bought our Leafs.

A little update for everyone. I talked to Nissan EV support today. Although she didn't have a date for the start of the upgrade she did mention a number. She said, "Don't quote me on this, but the Infiniti's have the same issue and I haven't see one higher then $299" That's a bit of a relief.

albion said:
A little update for everyone. I talked to Nissan EV support today. Although she didn't have a date for the start of the upgrade she did mention a number. She said, "Don't quote me on this, but the Infiniti's have the same issue and I haven't see one higher then $299" That's a bit of a relief.
Thanks for the information! Hopefully the LEAF will come in a bit cheaper...

Is there anyway to set up the Leaf to use my phones data? I tend to get a better signal when driving in rural areas with my phone than I do carwings. Would Carwaings also connect to phone using either wi-fi or 4g?

co2112 said:
Is there anyway to set up the Leaf to use my phones data? I tend to get a better signal when driving in rural areas with my phone than I do carwings. Would Carwings also connect to phone using either wi-fi or 4g?

The short answer is: no...and no.
We need a "custom" modem from Nissan (and a wireless plan to go with it).

rdhauser said:
Did an online chat with customer service today. The agent said that the letters to registered owners were set to go out next month. Didn't ask about price.
Next month being the last month that the service is actually expected to be available? Wow! Talk about cutting it close!

So...anyone got this upgrade / fix yet or received any official notification on it? I want to be able to use my remote start in 2017! (MY13)

Still no letter in my mailbox. AT&T 2G was down one day last week in my neighborhood. Thought it was the end, but it seems like they were working on the upgrade because it is back online.

Back