NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lost 2G a long time ago where I park my car. Sometimes across town, I get a signal. Nissan needs to address this!

reeler said:
Nissan needs to address this!
Sorry, as I am in sorta the same boat but your sensibility did bring a wry chuckle as my own expense...

My bet is it's not a top priority for them. Nissan's concerns, alas, as I wish I was mistaken, seemingly align with the old auto model of planned obsolescence, rather than customer engagement with upgrades... All of that said, they might just be figuring out how to charge and monetize for the service.

Instead of seeing such moves as gaining marketing good will, and expensed as such, it'll be how to maximize revenue, and for me, as much as sometimes it's nice to turn on the AC or heat, or start check on a charge, if this charge is anything other than nominal, I am out...

Somewhere here someone was exploring using another part of the CAN bus to control directly using phones or wifi. That would be a great move, but I don't think progress past attempting occurred...

Eventually Nissan will ship the upgraded telematics component but if the hardware cost is too high or the monthly fee is too high....I am out.

Either I will keep the existing system minus the communications, or I will remove the unit and replace with a CarPlay compatible unit. I have tried to figure out what I will lose with such a change. There is the obvious loss of GPS, remote heater, charge status. Anyone know of others? The dealer doesn't seem capable of answering this question and the Customer Support number refers me back to the dealership.

jdcbomb said:
So...anyone got this upgrade / fix yet or received any official notification on it?
No.
I also asked my dealer service manager who drives a 2011 LEAF about it two weeks back.
Dealers have not gotten any info yet either.

The need for new wireless also applies to some other Nissan products beside the LEAF.

Just had my Leaf in for its 30K check, and the service manager said Nissan will be offering the upgrade and is asking the customer for a "co-pay" of $199. He also said they don't have parts yet. No mention of a monthly fee.

annabel398 said:
Just had my Leaf in for its 30K check, and the service manager said Nissan will be offering the upgrade and is asking the customer for a "co-pay" of $199. He also said they don't have parts yet. No mention of a monthly fee.

That's right at my pain point...assuming no monthly fees.
Thanks for posting.

davewill said:
Stanton said:
Thanks for posting.
If that includes installation, it's as cheap as could possibly have been hoped for.
I will be finding out what it is like to do without for a while... Honestly, I might not do it if it was $50.

davewill said:
Stanton said:
Thanks for posting.
If that includes installation, it's as cheap as could possibly have been hoped for.
I'm not sure...I was hoping for about $100. The hardware is probably $50 at cost. Figure an hour of labor to install ($100) (don't really know if that's accurate or not, but I would hope it's at least REASONABLE), so you're talking $150 maybe, and Nissan really should bear some of the cost. Granted, those of us with older cars have been getting CARWINGS services for free past the 3 years of free service we were promised...but then again, we've also had to put up with CARWINGS flakiness. At any rate, it is a useful service I use multiple times per day. I think it's crazy that they're waiting until the very last minute to roll out a solution!

As much as I'd have wanted this... at this point I'd pay exactly $0 for it. NissanConnect EV is a horrible implementation. That they are still using it in current MY LEAFs only makes me doubt if Nissan can produce anything to compete.

My user story:

At work here, we have many (almost two dozen) shared EVSEs. Usually I park next to one that is already in use, so I can't plug in until lunch. Often times, someone else might plug my car in (you open the charge door when parking) when they plug in their own, but not always. So I need to check if my car is charging each day.

I open the app (or the owner's web page) and select update. 30s-90s later I either get an answer (charging or not) or a timeout. It's obvious that it (their server) is querying the car right then.

We are still working on your request. This might take several minutes.
Why?

I'd love the car to use a push to Nissan's servers: 1 minute after it is turned off, when it is plugged in, when it is done charging. I could get that push delivered as a notification to my phone. Or the data could sit on their server until I open the app. In no case should opening the app (or the webpage) have to sit time spinning trying to talk to the car.

They currently have 'carwings' in the car talking to Nissan's servers about all sorts of other useless stupid things (eco trees!).

[This completly ignores the fact that in the latest update on Android, NissanConnect EV is broken and doesn't seem to ever get an answer to an update; I can only get my current status on their web page.]

lpickup said:
davewill said:
Stanton said:
Thanks for posting.
I'm not sure...I was hoping for about $100. The hardware is probably $50 at cost. Figure an hour of labor to install ($100) (don't really know if that's accurate or not, but I would hope it's at least REASONABLE), so you're talking $150 maybe, and Nissan really should bear some of the cost.

I agree! I was hoping for $100, but (as I said) $200 is my pain point.
I don't want to go without it.

jlv, probably a little late for this advice, but you should really try LEAF Manager...it doesn't do everything you ask for, but does significantly improve on the Nissan app.

It has two features that would be of interest to you:

1) It has a widget so it is literally a one button press from your home screen to request an update or turn on/off Heat/AC. Just press the button and it takes care of the rest without tying up your phone. Yes, it's not immediate (for whatever reason it takes FOREVER for the server to respond) but at least you can do something else on your phone without having to babysit it.

2) It does have a nice feature that when it detects loss of your vehicle's Bluetooth signal (i.e. when you turn the car off) it will automatically request an update from Nissan X minutes later (I have mine set to 5). That way the SOC display on the widget is reasonably accurate. It does NOT automatically update as the car is charging / when it completes charging (although I do have it set to text me when done charging, so that's not that big a deal for me).

I normally use Nissan's iOS app but...
jlv said:
[This completly ignores the fact that in the latest update on Android, NissanConnect EV is broken and doesn't seem to ever get an answer to an update
I just tried it on my Android phone (Nexus 5X) and it's working fine for me.

cwerdna said:
I just tried it on my Android phone (Nexus 5X) and it's working fine for me.
On my 5X, the app just took 1 min 20 seconds just to log in and see the status of the car the last time I checked. 3 minutes later it still hasn't retrieved the latest status using the app.

This is not unusual performance for me, the app is completely useless.

The website was slightly better. "Only" took about 20 seconds to log in and navigate to where I could refresh the car's status. Pulling the status took 100 seconds.

The performance of Nissan Connect is frustrating at best and basically broken, usually.

^^^
Heh. Both on iOS and Android (which I don't use much), their app is most definitely slow. And, it's flaky too. Some of the flakiness appears to be declining AT&T 2G coverage though.

The Android app works fine on my BlackBerry and the iOS app works fine on my iPad if the car is in a good AT&T 2G signal area. Both apps are slow if coverage is marginal and they will eventually time out and fail if there is no AT&T connection to the car. Therefore, I believe the slow response is due to the AT&T coverage and I hope it will be better after Nissan upgrades the telematics to 3G. It appears that AT&T turned off 2G service on tower(s) near my house on Friday because I received the charging complete email that morning and nothing since. Status updates from the Android app fail if the car is at home, but work if the car is parked in other areas where there is still 2G service.

Gerry

The great little Nissano app still starts my climate control in less than 20 seconds. The response showing up takes much longer, but I can just send the HVAC ON command as I leave the house, and when I reach the car it's on. I also use Leaf Manager to restart charging without leaving the house, and while that's much slower (maybe two minutes) it also works.

I have both Leaf Manager and Nissano on my phone. I recommend them both.

In fact, I used to use Leaf Manager to check if I was plugged in/charging up until the great NissanConnect remote exploit boondoggle caused Nissan to temporary shutdown remote access. I hadn't used it since because IIRC, it wasn't working after Nissan re-enabled access.

I'm happy to report that LEAF Manager does seem to be working now for me with getting remote charging access. I'll go back to using that. :D

I always use Nissano when I want to quickly turn on the HVAC remotely (e.g., earlier than the timer would). It's great, fast, simple -- and open source. :cool:

(NissanConnect EV still never completes for me, even when the server already has done an update and has the current data). :?

Anyway, I'm all set now for the next 3 or 4 weeks until it AT&T's network goes away.

jlv said:
In fact, I used to use Leaf Manager to check if I was plugged in/charging up until the great NissanConnect remote exploit boondoggle caused Nissan to temporary shutdown remote access. I hadn't used it since because IIRC, it wasn't working after Nissan re-enabled access.

I'm happy to report that LEAF Manager does seem to be working now for me with getting remote charging access. I'll go back to using that. :D

IIRC, LEAF Manager actually started working before the official Nissan app did after that!

I always use Nissano when I want to quickly turn on the HVAC remotely (e.g., earlier than the timer would). It's great, fast, simple -- and open source. :cool:

jlv said:
(NissanConnect EV still never completes for me, even when the server already has done an update and has the current data). :?

For me, here's the sequence I have to go through to use the Nissan app:

1. Open the Nissan app, but get an error saying I have to log in first (always!)
  2. Kill the Nissan app using the task manager (or whatever the button you press on Android that brings up the list of running apps)
  3. Open up the Nissan app again
  4. Request an update because the Nissan app THINKS the AC is already on and only shows a "Turn Off" button
  5. Wait the minute or so for the update
  6. Now there is a Turn On button in the Climate Control, so press it
  7. Wait another minute to get confirmation that it actually worked

WAY too painful for me. And very disappointed that after 5 years the official app has only had a cosmetic makeover and still pretty much the lousy app it was in 2011. Clearly this is not a priority for Nissan. And yet, it's almost a required feature for EVs, or at least the way I use it because I need to be notified when charging is complete so I can go move my car. And while technically not a necessity, for the next several months I will be forced to park outside, so the ability to pre-heat/defrost in the morning is very important to me.

lpickup said:
WAY too painful for me. And very disappointed that after 5 years the official app has only had a cosmetic makeover and still pretty much the lousy app it was in 2011. Clearly this is not a priority for Nissan.
The funny part is that the implementation apparently won some awards or some people thought it was actually good...

https://www.telenor.com/media/articles/2011/telenor-connexion-telematics-service-for-nissan-leaf-wins-gsma-award-2011/
http://itsamerica.org/airbiquity-and-nissan-north-america-inc-honored-with-smart-solution-spotlight-award-for-electric-vehicle-telematics-technologies/
https://www.airbiquity.com/news/press-releases/airbiquity-congratulates-nissan-motors-japan-nissan-leaf-mobile-application-award/

Gotta love the verbiage in these press releases... ;)

http://www.telenorconnexion.com/stories/nissan has some background info. I guess these guys are proud of their work?

Back