Snlj
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:55 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Mar 2017
Leaf Number: 416281
Location: Madison, WI

OBD-II port issues

Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi Everybody,

While I was still shopping for a Leaf, I purchased a KONNWEI KW902 Mini ELM327 scanner and used it successfully with Leaf Spy Lite.

Last night I tried using it with my 2013 SL for the first time, and wasn't able to get it to work properly.

As soon as I plugged it in and connected to it through Leaf Spy, a "T/M System Malfunction" warning came up on my dash. After that, Leaf Spy was unable to stay connected to the car for more than a couple of seconds at a time, with the dialog in the lower right corner of the screen cycling between "retry leaf", "config elm", and "connected" over and over again. It was able to successfully read the SOC and display that, but nothing else.

I tried with Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro after that, with the same ultimate results but different error messages.

Since the scanner is basically new and I've used it before, I'm leaning towards there being an issue with the port. I have an appointment with the dealer on Friday for a warranty checkup. I can ask them about the health of the port then, but I wanted to see if anyone else has been able to troubleshoot this particular issue. Googling it led to mixed results, none of which was the right combination of symptoms.

Thanks in advance!

cwerdna
Posts: 7984
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: OBD-II port issues

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:32 am

Snlj wrote:Hi Everybody,

While I was still shopping for a Leaf, I purchased a KONNWEI KW902 Mini ELM327 scanner and used it successfully with Leaf Spy Lite.

Last night I tried using it with my 2013 SL for the first time, and wasn't able to get it to work properly.

As soon as I plugged it in and connected to it through Leaf Spy, a "T/M System Malfunction" warning came up on my dash. After that, Leaf Spy was unable to stay connected to the car for more than a couple of seconds at a time, with the dialog in the lower right corner of the screen cycling between "retry leaf", "config elm", and "connected" over and over again.

I've never seen the T/M System Malfunction message but the latter behavior happens for me very frequently.

The dongle I have is viewtopic.php?p=478441#p478441. I'm using it w/a Google Nexus 5X phone. The solution is usually a combination of one of these:
- power off the car and put it back in READY mode (green car w/arrows)
- unplug the dongle and plug it back in
- exit (literally quit or kill) Leaf Spy Pro and relaunch it

As such, there's no way I'd want to put that much wear on the car's OBD2 connector. I've been using an extension cable since day 1. I've chalked it up to either a bug in Leaf Spy or the dongle or it somehow getting into a bad state. Or, the car's not in a state that's responding to (all?) commands on the CAN bus.

I think I've seen the same symptoms w/a Galaxy S6 and S4. I no longer have those phones.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

MatthewGMorgan
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:51 pm
Delivery Date: 22 May 2013
Leaf Number: 405399

Re: OBD-II port issues

Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:26 pm

the same thing just now happen to me just got my konnwei scanner, plugged it into my 2013 leaf, and it kept blinking the malfunction "T/M System Malfunction" never got the leaf spy to connect but it did recognize the bluetooth,,,

also I now have a warning code about the ""I-Key error message""" that wasnt there before,,,

My leaf was perfect before no problems, until I plugged the scanner in, just to do battery monitoring, now I've got a code :roll: :roll: :roll: :x :x :x :x

Snlj
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:55 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Mar 2017
Leaf Number: 416281
Location: Madison, WI

Re: OBD-II port issues

Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:56 pm

MatthewGMorgan wrote:the same thing just now happen to me just got my konnwei scanner, plugged it into my 2013 leaf, and it kept blinking the malfunction "T/M System Malfunction" never got the leaf spy to connect but it did recognize the bluetooth,,,

also I now have a warning code about the ""I-Key error message""" that wasnt there before,,,

My leaf was perfect before no problems, until I plugged the scanner in, just to do battery monitoring, now I've got a code :roll: :roll: :roll: :x :x :x :x


That's exactly what I experienced, and in the same order.

I had the dealership confirm that the port itself is working properly. Since my Konnwei scanner was still returnable for a refund, I've done that and ordered a different brand (though frankly it looks like the same scanner with different branding).

I'll update after it arrives tomorrow and I can try it out.

MatthewGMorgan
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:51 pm
Delivery Date: 22 May 2013
Leaf Number: 405399

Re: OBD-II port issues

Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:12 pm

Yep I got a dud from them, that screwed up my car, (for now) :oops: :evil:

cwerdna
Posts: 7984
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: OBD-II port issues

Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:19 pm

cwerdna wrote:The dongle I have is viewtopic.php?p=478441#p478441. I'm using it w/a Google Nexus 5X phone.

I can report the 2nd dongle (Panlong brand) at viewtopic.php?p=490442#p490442 also works fine w/the above phone. I'll have to see if it seems less flaky or not.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Posts: 7984
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: OBD-II port issues

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:20 am

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23776 just got posted. This is likely the cause for the folks encountering probs. Let's just hope no permanent damage was done to the car. :shock:

If you can measure the resistance and it's wrong, as Turbo3 says, that's likely the reason.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Snlj
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:55 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Mar 2017
Leaf Number: 416281
Location: Madison, WI

Re: OBD-II port issues

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:16 pm

cwerdna wrote:http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23776 just got posted. This is likely the cause for the folks encountering probs. Let's just hope no permanent damage was done to the car. :shock:

If you can measure the resistance and it's wrong, as Turbo3 says, that's likely the reason.


I checked resistance across the two pins indicated in Turbo3's post, and sure enough it was wrong. I returned the scanner and ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJ ... UTF8&psc=1

It arrived this afternoon and worked instantly and perfectly when I plugged it in!

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”