Wind and/or Road Noise from window/door seals?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulwkrueger

We love our 2016 Nissan Leaf SV.
The only problem we're having so far is bothersome wind and/or road noise that seems to be coming from the driver's side window and/or door seal, though we're not sure where the problem originates.
It's only factor at speeds above about 40 mph.
Before we ask the dealer for help, I'm wondering if any of you have had the same problem, and managed to find a "fix" for it.
Thanks in advance for your help
Paul Krueger

From my experience all cars with the general size and shape of the Leaf will generate rather loud window noise from the rear windows when lowered from a few inches to all the way down. Solution is to leave back windows all the way up. Have not had such problems with the front windows.

Hi,
I have a 1026 SV also.
I find the wind noise present as well. I listened carefully and also just cracked the window to notice the change.
I think it might be normal. We have to remember there is no other noise in the running of the car so any wind will be heard. I think it is wind over the mirrors that makes the noise. I moved my head around the door as best I could while driving and didn't hear any particular spot that is louder than others.
If it concerns you it might be worth asking the dealer about it. I plan to next time it is there. Hopefully for the air bag recall or I guess at the first battery check.
I do know if they start messing with the door alignment it can get worse. Especially if they are trying to fix a problem that is normal.

Mot sure what more to say. It has been on my mind as well. I've gotten used to it. It's way less noise than my Honda Fit used make as far as wind. That car was real loud.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but OP was wondering if you got this noise sorted? I have just purchased an ex-demo leaf, 6mths old and noticed the same thing. Windows are shut but it has a wind noise like one of them is just slightly open. Would be interested to hear if/how it was fixed.

Hi all,

I sometimes hear wind noise coming through the window. I roll (only) the driver's window down halfway through and close it again in one continuous move. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times to make a full seal but it eventually does and the wind noise goes away.

One way to see if the leak is in the window vs the entire door is to use a spray bottle of water, soak the window seal and close the window. That tends to quiet things down sufficiently to determine if it's the window or door. Another way is to push the window near where it meets the door frame and see if the wind noise changes. Obviously you want to take extra precautions while doing this as you will be driving at higher speeds.

Regards,
JR

I have a 2016 SV also. I have the SAME issue, speed hits 40, noticeable wind noise coming from the PASSENGER side front. It almost sounds like it’s coming from the little window or the corner of the windshield. It’s ONLY on one side, not on both sides of car. Very annoying. It has gotten slowly worse over the 2 years that I’ve owned it.

If you find a solution please share...

i have the same wind noise on a 2017 LEAF. absolutely annoying. I cannot find the reason for. wind noise is coming from the frame exactly on the height of my left ear.

Back